iPad not working for my business needs - File system is FUBAR

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Posted this in a different thread but figured I'd post here because that thread was dead a few days:

iWorks does not work for me. I don't see how it would work for anyone that has a large office with several people working together.

I'm an attorney. I have thousands of documents that me and several other attorneys, law clerks and secretaries access.

I want to take ALL my files with me to court or home, so I always have them. So I would like to "dump" them into the iPad periodically.

Yea right! You have to go through each app and manually place the files into the app. Word Documents into Pages, Excel Documents into Numbers, etc.

Nevermind that this is a pain in the ass, but how do I update this? Manually do it every day? Once a week? Start all over again?

Because that's what "it displays the documents it knows about" means. It means you have to "assign" or place documents into the right app manually.

And I don't know how this tagging works so I can see all the documents from one client (or project) at one time, but that sounds like a pain in the ass to do going forward, nevermind going backwards to get everything working.

This isn't a step forward, it's completely ignoring how businesses operate. I can only speak from the legal perspective, but fail Apple. So fail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Law school requirements must be really dropping. Your grammar and spelling is not even university level. Good luck getting other lawyers and businesses to take you seriously.

As far as the iPad goes, your best solution would be a VNC client, where you can access your desktop directly from the iPad. If you absolutely need offline access, you're right, a laptop would be better for you.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Law school requirements must be really dropping. Your grammar and spelling is not even university level. Good luck getting other lawyers and businesses to take you seriously.

Lol how sad is your life?

Quote:

As far as the iPad goes, your best solution would be a VNC client, where you can access your desktop directly from the iPad. If you absolutely need offline access, you're right, a laptop would be better for you.

Access to a desktop has to be the worst workaround solution I can think of. iFail
  • Reply 3 of 34
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broncsx3 View Post

Lol how sad is your life?

Access to a desktop has to be the worst workaround solution I can think of. iFail

Fortunatly I read this before seeing your post. http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...h_an_ipad_ugh/ It is no solution, but it helps explain the problem. And I agree, the file system is FUBAR.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

I want to take ALL my files with me to court or home, so I always have them. So I would like to "dump" them into the iPad periodically.

https://www.dropbox.com

https://www.sugarsync.com
  • Reply 5 of 34
    scarpadscarpad Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Posted this in a different thread but figured I'd post here because that thread was dead a few days:

iWorks does not work for me. I don't see how it would work for anyone that has a large office with several people working together.

I'm an attorney. I have thousands of documents that me and several other attorneys, law clerks and secretaries access.

Yea right! You have to go through each app and manually place the files into the app. Word Documents into Pages, Excel Documents into Numbers, etc.

Nevermind that this is a pain in the ass, but how do I update this? Manually do it every day? Once a week? Start all over again?

Because that's what "it displays the documents it knows about" means. It means you have to "assign" or place documents into the right app manually.

And I don't know how this tagging works so I can see all the documents from one client (or project) at one time, but that sounds like a pain in the ass to do going forward, nevermind going backwards to get everything working.

This isn't a step forward, it's completely ignoring how businesses operate. I can only speak from the legal perspective, but fail Apple. So fail.

First of All I'd be wary of going to an Attorney that uses the word "ME" instead of "I" and the idiom "Fail" you sonund like a internet Idiot and not an Attorney. But assuming you are, why would you even consider an Ipad for what you are trying to do. Get a Laptop, something an Ipad Never claims it is a replacement for.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Without weighing in on whether this guy sounds like a real attorney or not (no opinion), I think the "file system" complaint is somewhat valid. Apple needs to give us a workable portable document system with the iPad. I don't care whether it's a conventional file system, or something else, but the iPad would become more useful immediately if it had a better method of transferring and organizing files. FWIW, I don't think iWork is going to be the best way to accomplish this -- PDF would.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    get one of these and access it in your pocket. You can even set up specific SD cards for each need / client, etc. Much better than trying to send them to the iPad. Just use the web interfaces and browse for what you need:

http://www.airstash.com/
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

get one of these and access it in your pocket. You can even set up specific SD cards for each need / client, etc. Much better than trying to send them to the iPad. Just use the web interfaces and browse for what you need:

Interesting product. Have you used it?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    All these complaints about what the iPad doesn't do.

Yet it works like dream if you are the target audience. it does what it was designed to do.

It wasn't designed to be a laptop replacement for attorneys. Apple makes a nice product called a "MacBook" for those people. If they built in all the capabilities people are lamenting about, it would morph into a... well, a full sized laptop.

If your needs don't allow this device to work for you, then get a device that will work. What's the point of trying to convince people that it's a "Fail"rue simply because it doesn't meet you specific desires??? (When it is so obviously not a failure.)
  • Reply 10 of 34
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Posted this in a different thread but figured I'd post here ....

It's not nice to double-post.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

First of All I'd be wary of going to an Attorney that uses the word "ME" instead of "I" and the idiom "Fail" you sonund like a internet Idiot and not an Attorney.

Not only that, he gets product names wrong. How can an attorney pay so little attention to detail that he doesn't know the properly spelled name of products he claims to use?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Hi tonton.

I think you're being a bit tough on our lawyer friend here. The iwork file system is ridiculously inept. Yes the poster phrased the complaint in the way that for some reason apple complainers often do, as if apple stole their candy and ran over their dog. But I would be really shocked if we don't hear about improvements to the file system tomorrow. It s a major weakness in the OS.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    I agree some improvements would help, but inept is hardly the word I'd use. Simplistic, I'd say. Too much so? Perhaps.

Clearly the objective was to keep the method of organizing files application-centeric. I'd perfer to see Apple continue to develop this line of thinking instead of abandoning it in favor of the file-folder metaphor, which a lot of people would like.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    broncsx3broncsx3 Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

That seems pretty cool. I don't know how it would work with the iPad. Would I be able to save files once I edited them (iWork has some pretty limited options I've noticed)? Would I be able to open in iWork documents or have to go to something else?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    broncsx3broncsx3 Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

First of All I'd be wary of going to an Attorney that uses the word "ME" instead of "I" and the idiom "Fail" you sonund like a internet Idiot and not an Attorney. But assuming you are, why would you even consider an Ipad for what you are trying to do. Get a Laptop, something an Ipad Never claims it is a replacement for.

I want something I can bring with me to meetings (lunch, conference room) that doesn't involve any setting up or seem awkward.

Also would like to bring it to court and use as like as a prompt for openings, directs and crosses, etc.

I just like the idea of it. I'm hoping that I can find an easy solution but expect I'll be purchasing a bunch of HP Slates.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

I want something I can bring with me to meetings (lunch, conference room) that doesn't involve any setting up or seem awkward.

Also would like to bring it to court and use as like as a prompt for openings, directs and crosses, etc.

I just like the idea of it. I'm hoping that I can find an easy solution but expect I'll be purchasing a bunch of HP Slates.

Mentioned in several threads already, try GoodReader. It will allow you to load up your iPad with PDF files.

Cost: $0.99.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

I want something that I can carry with me to meetings (lunch, conference room), doesn't need setting up, and is not awkward.

Also would like to carry it to court and use as a prompt for openings, directs and crosses, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Mentioned in several threads already, try GoodReader. It will allow you to load up your iPad with PDF files.

Cost: $0.99.

No go. I can't have my PDFs in one place, my word documents in another and a 3rd separate place for excel documents. Need one folder for each client (and preferably sub-folders inside that folder to help me organize cases that involve 25+ documents).

Also I have to have staff update this thing so anything that involves dragging documents in one at a time, or one folder at a time, its way too time consuming and expensive to me.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    GoodReader supports the creation of folders. I'm not sure why you'd want to carry around editable Word documents (I'd create PDFs), but GoodReader supports them too.

Rather than assume that it won't work, you might want to spend the $0.99 to find out for yourself.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I want something that I can carry with me to meetings (lunch, conference room), doesn't need setting up, and is not awkward.

Also would like to carry it to court and use as a prompt for openings, directs and crosses, etc.

You're a weird little man. Also most (all?) of your grammar corrections have nothing to do with rules of grammar but rather how you think things should be written. You can bring the iPad to court just like you could bring your lunch to school. I want something that doesn't seem awkward (whether it is awkward or not) so I don't look like a fool at lunch. Not sure why you think the word involve needs to be replaced by need, but I guess that makes it clearer in your opinion?

Like I said, strange little message board troll. Thanks for the suggestions though, I'm sure I'll incorporate them into all my future posts. This will of course be the last time I respond to anything you write as foolish as this. Feel free to respond to the point of my posts though.