802.11g vs 802.11n for iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Having bought an iPad, i'm now contemplating if it is time to upgrade my home router. My DLink DGL-4300 was one of the best 802.11g routers when it first hit the market. But since it doesn't do 802.11n, perhaps an upgrade is in order.

The question is, will the iPad, with it's battery management and relatively meager processing power, benefit from 802.11n? Speed? Range? Power consumption?

For my situation in particular, interference from other wifi nodes isn't an issue. My only other wifi device is a first-gen iPhone.

Is an upgrade worthwhile?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I'd say, "No".

If we ever get the option to sync to iTunes via WiFi, then it might be worth it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Probably the main consideration is range. Wireless-n is supposed to have about twice the range of Wireless-g, though I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it practice.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Having bought an iPad, i'm now contemplating if it is time to upgrade my home router. My DLink DGL-4300 was one of the best 802.11g routers when it first hit the market. But since it doesn't do 802.11n, perhaps an upgrade is in order.

The question is, will the iPad, with it's battery management and relatively meager processing power, benefit from 802.11n? Speed? Range? Power consumption?

For my situation in particular, interference from other wifi nodes isn't an issue. My only other wifi device is a first-gen iPhone.

What kind of speed are you getting now? I'm seeing 23.x Mbps on my Fios action tech router, 802.11g. No complaints, I don't see the need to pursue n yet.

If your speeds are low, you might look at improving other aspects of your g solution first.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What kind of speed are you getting now? I'm seeing 23.x Mbps on my Fios action tech router, 802.11g. No complaints, I don't see the need to pursue n yet.

If your speeds are low, you might look at improving other aspects of your g solution first.

Interesting... via my FiOS connection:

iMac copper gig = 25/10 Mbps

iMac 802.11g = 20/8 Mbps

iPad 802.11g = 20/2 Mbps

This suggests that the iPad is making full use of 802.11g bandwidth down but not up. I suspect this has to do with the power required to transmit at a higher speed.

But mainly, i think range would be the selling point if anything were to justify 802.11n for an iPad.

Anyone feel like running similar tests but also with 802.11n?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

I just purchased a Cisco E3000 router (dual band 802.11n). I am replacing a Buffalo 802.11g router that I flashed with DD-WRT. The iPad worked great with the Buffalo router, but it sometimes dropped the connection 2 floors away in my house. So, I bought the E3000 hoping for better range. Results:

1) No more lost connections. The iPad holds its Wi-Fi connection. I can't see how much stronger the signal is, but it's clearly working better.

2) SURPRISE: The iPad is now WAY faster. Web browsing is some % faster ... maybe 25 or 33, but the App Store and downloading is easily and no joke 3x or 4x faster. It was unbelievable how much n added.

I am very happy w/my upgrade in terms of speed, but I don't trust Linksys/Cisco stock OS for their routers. I've historically had issues on the wireless side, which is why I went to DD-WRT on the old Buffalo router ... and never had to reboot the router. So, we'll see if the E3000 ends up being more stable since DD-WRT isn't running on it yet.

Scott
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

I am wondering if the new OS will include support for Bonjour printing. Since their Airport models support Bonjour printer sharing, this seems like the easiest way for them integrate printer management and usage into iPhone OS. Apple recently released a Bonjour Printer utility for Windows, that allows for discovery and adding Bonjour printers. This might be to help stimulate usage and adoption of Bonjour printing in SOHO and home environments. if they do add Bonjour printing to iPhone OS and since your are considering an upgrade anyway, it might be a good reason to look at the Airport Extreme. Plus all the other features they offer.

As for your specific questions, while I don't have an iPad, I definitely noticed, though I didn't measure, improvements over my Linksys G router when I upgraded to the Airport Extreme N. Corners of my house that had almost no signal were very usable. I always had crap signal on my deck, but get a great signal there now.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Care to run tests on iPad g vs n with that new router?

Anyone? Bueller?