Google to pit Android-based tablet against Apple's iPad

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Google is among a growing list of technology heavyweights who plan to face off against Apple's iPad with their own modern interpretations of a tablet computing device, according to the New York Times.

The newspaper reported Sunday that Google has been "exploring the idea of building its own slate, an e-reader that would function like a computer."

The initiative appears to be progressing beyond the conceptual stages, with chief executive Eric Schmidt reportedly talking up the device to his friends during a recent party out in Los Angeles.

According to the second hand comments, the device will exclusively run the search giant's Android operating. Google has reportedly been conducting research under "stealth mode" with a handful of publishers who are helping the company evaluate methods of delivering eBooks, magazines and other content to users through the device.

Since introducing its iPad earlier this month, Apple has gone on to sell more than a half million of the devices even before it's begun shipments of models that will include 3G connectivity in addition to standard WiFi hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 158
    Steve Jobs isn't going to be happy....
  • Reply 2 of 158
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The newspaper reported Sunday that Google has been "exploring the idea of building its own slate, an e-reader that would function like a computer."

First the Google Phone. Now the Google Pad.

What's next for these guys? The Google Mac?
  • Reply 3 of 158
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Is there anyone who doesn't know that there is going to be an over-sized Nexus One
  • Reply 4 of 158
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Nope. These guys know the growth curve is in mobile. These new devices will eventually sub-plant traditional PCs. Just like the telecom land line business is dying a slow death because of mobile so will the traditional PC over time.
  • Reply 5 of 158
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Maybe they'll try to make money on any of it. Creating lots of new products that you give away for free doesn't seem like a winning long-term strategy.

In the meantime, the iPad is already building up great economies of scale for slate-form-factor devices.
  • Reply 6 of 158
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    They'll copy Apple on the look and feel. Then you see Apple sue Google for everything they've got. Friends no longer for sure.
  • Reply 7 of 158
    I hope it uses one of these low-power display technologies to extend the battery life.

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/

http://www.pixelqi.com/

One PixelQi device claimed a 50-hour battery life.

http://armdevices.net/2009/06/02/pix...e-from-taipei/

http://armdevices.net/2010/02/23/new...demonstration/
  • Reply 8 of 158
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    We all know what happens to Apple device "killers."

• Reply 9 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

They'll copy Apple on the look and feel. Then you see Apple sue Google for everything they've got. Friends no longer for sure.

Look and feel? Would that be a winner?
  • Reply 10 of 158
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

actually, the Google OS for desktop was announced several months ago;

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...ng-system.html
  • Reply 11 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

actually, the Google OS for desktop was announced several months ago;

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...ng-system.html

But that is not hardware. Google has now entered into two of Apple's most profitable hardware lines.

Will they come out with a GoogleBook Proo?
  • Reply 12 of 158
    Big surprise ! Google, your reputation of being innovative is wearing thin.

Google Maps was the last thing that made me go "wow" and that as an acquisition and many moons ago ! Marketers could categorize you in the "me too" segment now. Of course, make sure to use your legions of open source developers to catch up and copy Apple, the true innovator.

What Steve Jobs said about Microsoft could be applied to Google:

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste, and what that means is - I don't mean that in a small way I mean that in a big way. In the sense that they they don't think of original ideas and they don't bring much culture into their product ..."
  • Reply 13 of 158
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nope. These guys know the growth curve is in mobile. These new devices will eventually sub-plant traditional PCs. Just like the telecom land line business is dying a slow death because of mobile so will the traditional PC over time.

Total BS!! Apple gets it, and others simply Ctrl-C it.
  • Reply 14 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

What Steve Jobs said about Microsoft could be applied to Google:

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste, and what that means is - I don't mean that in a small way I mean that in a big way. In the sense that they they don't think of original ideas and they don't bring much culture into their product ..."

Hear Hear! No matter how many features Android has, no matter how much free software Google gives to Android users, no matter if Android takes over the iPhone in market share, we will rest confident that we have better taste.
  • Reply 15 of 158
    Hardware competition is a good thing and the Net keeps us all linked.

What would be bad would be losing Net Neutrality.
  • Reply 16 of 158
    expect googlemac pros with chrome os soon...
  • Reply 17 of 158
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    I think that the iPad is the birth of a whole new class of device which will eventually cover a huge range of uses both in the home and the workplace. The potential market for these devices is massive and Apple couldn't possibly cater for all the variations required, even if they wished to (which I doubt). Therefore there is plenty of scope for other device manufacturers to come to the party, and if they can come up with something half decent there is no reason why they couldn't happily flourish in such a diverse market, albeit a diverse market where Apple sets the standard.
  • Reply 18 of 158
    Quote:

But that is not hardware. Google has now entered into two of Apple's most profitable hardware lines.

Will they come out with a GoogleBook Proo?

All the blogs have been talking about the ARM based tablets for a long time. Google has been talking about the mobile OS for a long time. Apple came out with there tablet first but that does not make it there idea and it is not something that others are copying.

I for one look forward to seeing many of these devices out there and hope it spells the end of the MS dominance of the PC.
  • Reply 19 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Total BS!! Apple gets it, and others simply Ctrl-C it.

So Apple invented the tablet? I didn't know that. I can't believe all the "omg Google sucks because they're copying Apple" comments.

We know the following: Google is probably making a tablet computer. Are they not allowed to do this? Apple did not invent the tablet computer, or the idea of mobile apps, or even an app store.
  • Reply 20 of 158
    Quote:

Hear Hear! No matter how many features Android has, no matter how much free software Google gives to Android users, no matter if Android takes over the iPhone in market share, we will rest confident that we have better taste.

I like the sarcasm lol Maybe I got carried away there (I am a stock holder too).