Microsoft unveils Project Pink as Kin social media phones for kids

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Project Pink, an internal effort built upon Microsoft's Danger acquisition, was officially revealed today at a "social event" which presented two new phones branded Kin and targeted at young phone users.

Like Microsoft's existing Sidekick phones sold through T-Mobile, the new Kin phones will be built by Sharp. However, the company has broke with T-Mobile to sell the phones through Verizon Wireless and its parent company Vodaphone.

Microsoft's presentation was limited on details, but Drake Martinet, who covered the event live for the Wall Street Journal's "All Things Digital" blogs, noted that "This product, it seems, will be built on a small, specialized version of Windows Phone 7."

Microsoft showed the expected two form factors, originally code named "Turtle" and "Pure," under their official names Kin 1 and Kin 2. "One is a candybar with a QWERTY [physical] board, the other looks like a smaller, round device with a slide keyboard," Martinet reported.

The Kin 1 hardware is a squatty form factor with 2.6" 320x240 display; a 5 megapixel camera with a bright LED flash and geotagging features; 4GB of storage, Bluetooth, GPS, and accelerometer; and a mono speaker.

The Kin 2 phone is a conventional candybar form factor with 3.4" 480x320 display; an 8 megapixel camera with a bright LED flash and geotagging features, and capable of recording HD-resolution video; 8GB of storage, Bluetooth, GPS, and accelerometer; and stereo speakers.

Microsoft played up Kin's integration with social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Myspace, saying "you can even update statuses to social networks."

The other features on the phones tie into Microsoft's other businesses, including Bing search with GPS-aware advertising as well as Zune music integration. The company didn't outline any third party developers working on applications, or clarify whether the Kin phones would ever run external applications or apps designed for the Windows Phone 7 models the company hopes to release this winter.

Kin phones evidently won't work with Windows Phone 7 apps, as Microsoft spoke of both as completely separate product lines, just as it positioned the Zune and PlaysForSure music players are separate products each running their own incompatible music DRM. Just like Zune and PFS, the new Kin, Zune and Windows Phone 7 are all based on the same Windows CE core operating system.

According to PC World report by Ginny Mies, the new phones don't offer any photo or video editing tools, no calendar support, no universal inbox, can't upload photos or video to Twitter, and do not support Flash or Silverlight. Their storage memory also can't be expanded.

In addition to being targeted at young people (the same audience as Microsoft's existing T-Mobile sidekick), a verizon executive joined the stage to emphasize that it expects the new models to also to parents "or anyone who is all about photos and video."

Microsoft has not released pricing details yet, nor have Verizon or Vodaphone. T-Mobile's low prices for mobile service have historically been a major reason why young users have been attracted to the Sidekick. The new phones are set for US release in May 2010, and a Fall release for Europe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    ndengndeng Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Project Pink, an internal effort built upon Microsoft's Danger acquisition, was officially revealed today at a "social event" which presented two new phones branded Kin and targeted at young phone users.

Like Microsoft's existing Sidekick phones sold through T-Mobile, the new Kin phones will be built by Sharp. However, the company has broke with T-Mobile to sell the phones through Verizon Wireless and its parent company Vodaphone.

Microsoft's presentation was limited on details, but Drake Martinet, who covered the event live for the Wall Street Journal's "All Things Digital" blogs, noted that "This product, it seems, will be built on a small, specialized version of Windows Phone 7."

Microsoft showed the expected two form factors, originally code named "Turtle" and "Pure," under their official names Kin 1 and Kin 2. "One is a candybar with a QWERTY [physical] board, the other looks like a smaller, round device with a slide keyboard," Martinet reported.

The Kin 1 hardware is a squatty form factor with 2.6" 320x240 display; a 5 megapixel camera with a bright LED flash and geotagging features, and capable of recording HD-resolution video; 4GB or storage, Bluetooth, GPS, and accelerometer; and a mono speaker.

The Kin 2 phone is a conventional candybar form factor with 3.4" 480x320 display; an 8 megapixel camera with a bright LED flash and geotagging features, and capable of recording HD-resolution video; 8GB or storage, Bluetooth, GPS, and accelerometer; and stereo speakers.

Microsoft played up Kin's integration with social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Myspace, saying "you can even update statuses to social networks."

The other features on the phones tie into Microsoft's other businesses, including Bing search with GPS-aware advertising as well as Zune music integration. The company didn't outline any third party developers working on applications, or clarify whether the Kin phones would ever run external applications or apps designed for the Windows Phone 7 models the company hopes to release this winter.

Kin phones evidently won't work with Windows Phone 7 apps, as Microsoft spoke of both as completely separate product lines, just as it positioned the Zune and PlaysForSure music players are separate products each running their own incompatible music DRM. Just like Zune and PFS, the new Kin, Zune and Windows Phone 7 are all based on the same Windows CE core operating system.

According to PC World report by Ginny Mies, the new phones don't offer any photo or video editing tools, no calendar support, no universal inbox, can't upload photos or video to Twitter, and do not support Flash or Silverlight. Their storage memory also can't be expanded.

In addition to being targeted at young people (the same audience as Microsoft's existing T-Mobile sidekick), a verizon executive joined the stage to emphasize that it expects the new models to also to parents "or anyone who is all about photos and video."

Microsoft has not released pricing details yet, nor have Verizon or Vodaphone. T-Mobile's low prices for mobile service have historically been a major reason why young users have been attracted to the Sidekick. The new phones are set for US release in May 2010, and a Fall release for Europe.

Work harder and have something better than this Pink thing, MS may be able to Nail it... or come back Next time with other and better than iphone?
  • Reply 2 of 83
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    A key design imperative for anything that is going to be put into those small, destructive hands, is that it has to be robust. Otherwise it won't take long for the 'slide out' to become 'slide out snap off and start crying'.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    What's this? A well-balanced article from Prince about a competitor -- and it isn't laced with venom? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet, what has the world come to?

That being said, this should be great for tweeners on up to high schoolers -- nothing more, nothing less. College-age kids are gonna want something a bit more versatile.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Yeah, cool - and Ballmer can get Aerosmith to play their song "Pink" to go along with the promotional advertising.

What's that? No one told Ballmer what that song is about?

Uh, can we use a different song in the ad?
  • Reply 5 of 83
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

What's this? A well-balanced article from Prince about a competitor -- and it isn't laced with venom? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet, what has the world come to?

That being said, this should be great for tweeners on up to high schoolers -- nothing more, nothing less. College-age kids are gonna want something a bit more versatile.

Exactly, I don't see this as intended to compete with iPhone at all. iPhones aren't for everyone.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Wait, no sending pics of your junk to people?

Oh well someone needs to capture the 10-13yr old cell phone market I guess? Color me unimpressed.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    mudpudmudpud Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Although I love my MBP and most things Apple...I had to laugh, having read the article's headline on appleinsider, after having read Engadget's, BGR's and Gizmodo's articles...I know that this website is pro-Apple, but I don't think that it even pretends that it's not unabashedly subjective and highly critical of all things non-Apple. "social media phones for kids" --> this is the first and only article about the Kin phones today to have such a negative tone to it - dismissing the Kin phones as those befitting of "kids."
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Project Pink..... presented two new phones branded Kin and targeted at young phone users.

You mean/they mean "...... young girls who are phone users."
  • Reply 9 of 83
    MySpace - that thing still exists?
  • Reply 10 of 83
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post

Although I love my MBP and most things Apple...I had to laugh, having read the article's headline on appleinsider, after having read Engadget's, BGR's and Gizmodo's articles...I know that this website is pro-Apple, but I don't think that it even pretends that it's not unabashedly subjective and highly critical of all things non-Apple. "social media phones for kids" --> this is the first and only article about the Kin phones today to have such a negative tone to it - dismissing the Kin phones as those befitting of "kids."

You missed Gizmodo's coverage from today. This is what the title of their article said today before they wussed out and changed it:

Microsoft Kin: The Phone You'd Want If You Were 15

• Reply 11 of 83
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Exactly, I don't see this as intended to compete with iPhone at all. iPhones aren't for everyone.

My 5 year old can use my iPhone with ease. And they have parental controls. I'm not sure why an iPhone would be inappropriate for a teenager. I'm sure I'll think of a reason to say no in 8 years when my oldest becomes one, but I certainly won't hobble them with a Windows Mobile device!
  • Reply 12 of 83
    The "Kin Spot" feature is a brilliant UI idea for what it is supposed to do:

http://kin.com/

This thing has the potential to be really successful. There are so many young people out there who don't wanne work, play or use apps on their phones. Seriously. The Zune Pass music streaming feature over 3G is a killer, IMO.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

My 5 year old can use my iPhone with ease. And they have parental controls. I'm not sure why an iPhone would be inappropriate for a teenager. I'm sure I'll think of a reason to say no in 8 years when my oldest becomes one, but I certainly won't hobble them with a Windows Mobile device!

The Kin seems to make special things a lot easier than every other phone so far. MSFT interviewed over 50.000 young users to get an idea of what they need and want.

And the price may also be a point you missed. Finally: It's not a Windows Mobile phone!
  • Reply 14 of 83
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Except teenagers want iPhones and Apple gear.

(Ok, and an Xbox.)

• Reply 15 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Kids will be clamoring for them just like they did for Zunes. What kid wants a hip Apple product eh?
  • Reply 16 of 83
    the lack of even rudimentary 3rd party app support makes this a step backwards from even 7 year old sidekick products.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    They can't be serious. Was it April Fool's day?

Can't those numbskulls at Microsoft see that there is already too much junk out there???
  • Reply 18 of 83
    I wonder if they're going to come out with a Windows Phone 7/KIN version of the HTC EVO 4G or equivalent. I could see kids actually wanting that.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    So this cool hip new studio that holds ALL these kids' photos, videos, emails, text messages, etc. is going to run in the same Microsoft cloud service that lost all the data of Sidekick users last year?? HAhaha!
  • Reply 20 of 83
    I like the pebble-ish shape. But, I think MS and the like are missing the boat with the youngins'... Apple has the overwhelming mindshare of youth and university age folks... who are buying iPods, Pads, and Books as fast as they can make them. It's going to take something more than just-another-phone to turn the tide of 'coolness'.

I think Apple has a stranglehold on this market for at least 5 years...