Save over 7% on brand new MacBook Pros with discount coupons

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A handful of Apple authorized resellers began reflecting stock of the company's new MacBook Pros on Wednesday, offering discounts of up to 7% (or $165) through special discount coupons.

Thus far, none of the resellers appear to have received their first shipments of either the 2.4GHz 13-inch MacBook Pro or 2.66GHz 13-inch MacBook Pro. On the other hand, most are reflecting immediate availability of the new Core i5 and Core i7 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros.

Of all the resellers, MacMall has the lowest prices across the line when exclusive 3% discount coupons for AppleInsider readers are added to its already reduced pricing. It's also offering free shipping on all orders in addition to mail-in-rebates good for a free copy of Parallels 5.0 and a free 8GB Flash drive.

More specifically, it's selling the 2.4GHz 13" MacBook Pro for $1,125.19, the 2.66GHz 13" MacBook Pro for $1,406.49, the 2.4GHz 15" MacBook Pro for $1,687.79, the 2.53GHz 15" MacBook Pro for $1,872.09, the 2.66GHz 15" MacBook Pro for $2,036.99, and the 2.53GHz 17" MacBook Pro for $2,133.99. Total savings can be seen via the Mac Price Guide, below:

The same 3% discount coupons are also valid on previous-generation MacBooks, which MacMall has reduced by as much as $462, including $301 off the 2.66GHz 15" MacBook Pro ($1,697.49), $359 off the 2.80GHz 15" MacBook Pro ($1,939.99) and $462 off the 2.80GHz 17" MacBook Pro ($2,036.99). Prices and discounts on other previous generation models can be seen in the section of AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide listed as "Previous Generation Macs (2009)."

When placing orders through resellers who offer discounts through coupons, the discounts are reflected as "Instant Discount(s)" during checkout, after the items have been added to your shopping cart. Discount may not appear in full before items are added to your shopping cart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Of all the resellers, MacMall has the lowest prices across the line when exclusive 3% discount coupons for AppleInsider readers are added to its already reduced pricing. It's also offering free shipping on all orders in addition to mail-in-rebates good for a free copy of Parallels 5.0 and a free 8GB Flash drive.

The current trend of paraphrasing Press Releases as news stories is bad enough.

But now, cross promotion/cross advertising schemes are being presented as "news".

What is next around here?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Call it what you will but if I were in the market I'd certainly like to know where the cheapest promos were.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

The current trend of paraphrasing Press Releases as news stories is bad enough.

But now, cross promotion/cross advertising schemes are being presented as "news".

I've called AI to the carpet numerous times for their habitual promotion of products as news stories. If they would simply provide a note that they are receiving promotional consideration for their story, or if they would label each promo piece as "ADVERTISING" they would be a far more credible source of real breaking news and unconfirmed rumors. Technically, it's not illegal, but it certainly is unethical.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    ortalortal Posts: 25member
    I dont mind these advertisements but I agree they shouldnt be passed off as a story, cluttering up my RSS feed.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Note that MacMall is cheapest, but not as configurable as other sources (e.g., no option for a 7,200 RPM HDD for some reason). Also if you do customize it in any way, shipping jumps to 5-7 days with a note to "call us". So I guess if you want exactly what they have to offer, saving a few bucks is OK...
  • Reply 6 of 33
    macmall sure aint the cheapest if ya live in cali. 10% sales tax ---oouuuuchh
  • Reply 7 of 33
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    So as other have stated, this is nothing less than an advertisement... This is not news... But what gets me is that a company is putting a "Discount" on a product that has yet to sell. That seems kind of odd to me. Why not just adjust the price? Are they so worried that people are buying Windows 7 machines like hot cakes that they need to discount a product that you can't even own yet?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    STOP THE PRESS
  • Reply 9 of 33
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ortal View Post

I dont mind these advertisements but I agree they shouldnt be passed off as a story, cluttering up my RSS feed.

It's their forum.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Reported to Google already, hopefully they will remove this Advertisement from their news stream soon...Sorry, but I want to read news when I click on a link that is supposed to be new, I don't want to be tricked into an Advertisement...This article is no better then SPAM by passing itself off as a news article when it is an advertisement. Shame on the author...This is NOT news....
  • Reply 11 of 33
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    STAY AWAY FROM APPLE DESKTOPS

On my 4th iMac i5 in 2 days.

1st : DOA \

2nd: Video card problems

3rd: Broken power button

4th: Hinge is loose and display won't stay upright.

These are all brand new machines made in the 9th week of this year.

The build quality of the new iMac's is a COMPLETE and TOTAL joke. They are "Made in China" garbage and not even close to being worth the huge price tag.

What happened to Apple's quality????????????????????????

Makes me sick that Apple is charging a premium for complete garbage.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY WE NEED HACKINTOSH'S.

Apple is obviously only interested in mobile computing devices. Desktop mac's are DEAD.

Buy your laptops, stay away from the iChineseGarbage.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

STAY AWAY FROM APPLE DESKTOPS

Apple is obviously only interested in mobile computing devices. Desktop mac's are DEAD.

The Mac desktops will be around for the next few years as the transition is made. I don't think that anybody can call them dead yet.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

It's their forum.

That's not an excuse for unethical conduct for a 'sometimes' news site that syndicates it's information and stories to other national news organizations. I've seen AI cited as a news source on numerous other news sites. You can't play journalist without adhering to basic journalistic standards. It's really not that difficult to make it part of standard practice.

As a matter of fact, AI previously DID start to identify these promotions as advertising, but this practice has disappointingly not continued.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

The Mac desktops will be around for the next few years as the transition is made. I don't think that anybody can call them dead yet.

Well... If I have to go through 10 iMac's to get one that isn't a broken piece of shit... I consider them dead. I will definitely not recommend them to anyone, and will advise 'Stay far far away'.

I'm sending this 4th one back and calling it quits. I'll have to find another solution.

Crazy that Apple would release something as crappy as the new iMac's.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Well... If I have to go through 10 iMac's to get one that isn't a broken piece of shit... I consider them dead. I will definitely not recommend them to anyone, and will advise 'Stay far far away'.

I'm sending this 4th one back and calling it quits. I'll have to find another solution.

Crazy that Apple would release something as crappy as the new iMac's.

The new MBPs look nice. Way pricey, but decent performance for most tasks nonetheless.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    joekewejoekewe Posts: 29member
    Sorry to those not interested in the article's information, but many of us DO consider this information newsworthy. Many have been waiting months for these laptops, and AppleInsider just saved me 20-30 minutes of pricing a MBP from several suppliers. Assuming the author has no financial stake in any of these companies, then by definition this is NOT an advertisement. The headline was not misleading. Don't click on the story if you're not interested.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Thanks for the info, AI.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joekewe View Post

Sorry to those not interested in the article's information, but many of us DO consider this information newsworthy. Many have been waiting months for these laptops, and AppleInsider just saved me 20-30 minutes of pricing a MBP from several suppliers.

QFT

Quote:

Assuming the author has no financial stake in any of these companies, then by definition this is NOT an advertisement. The headline was not misleading. Don't click on the story if you're not interested.

As noted in the article, you get an extra 3% off if you link from AI. It's not like this is a paid site and they only linked to one Mac reseller. I don't care if AI gets a cut from that if I can save additional money.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Count me as someone who has been waiting a long time for these. I wouldn't have expected anyone to be offering discounts, so this *is* news to me.

Also, if it were an ad, I wouldn't mind at all. AppleInsider has given me tons of information, and they deserve to get paid.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    If only my nearly 12-year-old Wall Street Powerbook (upgraded to OS 9.1, 256 Mb RAM, G4/500, with an Airport 802.11b card, 802.11g wireless gaming adapter, USB Cardbus adapter, and SCSI peripherals) would only die. I don't need two laptops and even with the above upgrades there's no market for the above.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

The new MBPs look nice. Way pricey, but decent performance for most tasks nonetheless.

Seriously way pricey. The Mac Pro's are laughable pricey. The iMac's are the worst industrial design and build quality i've ever seen from Apple. (someone shoot Ives for these abortions).

Hey Steve Jobs... this is your true legacy...

Inferior Chinese iMac's

Nobody should have to go through 5 of anything to get one that isn't broken.

Apple = ONLY a mobile computing company.