Apple seeks to hire camera expert for iPad team

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
More evidence of a planned camera addition to the iPad has come from a job opening at Apple for a performance quality assurance engineer to work on still and video capture in the iPad Media department.

The job, posted back on Feb. 9 and discovered Thursday by Cult of Mac, is for a "Performance QA Engineer, iPad Media," to work within Apple's Interactive Media Group. The software quality engineer must have a strong technical background in order to test still, video and audio capture and playback frameworks.

"Build on your QA experience and knowledge of digital camera technology (still and video) to develop and maintain testing frameworks for both capture and playback pipelines," the job description reads. "You will work together with the development team to ensure quality. Your focus will mainly be on performance testing and developing performance measurement test tools."

The full-time position is based in Cupertino, Calif., at Apple's corporate headquarters. It requires candidates have a bachelor of science in computer science or equivalent experience, with three or more years experience in software quality assurance.

The job listing is yet another piece of evidence that Apple has plans for a camera in future iPads. A potential spot for a forward-facing camera was found in a replacement part for the iPad soon after the device was unveiled. But later, a teardown of the iPad post-release found that spot was actually used for the device's ambient light sensor.

But the iPhone OS 3.2 SDK has also been found to include mentions of video chat, suggesting that Apple explored the possibility of a forward-facing camera in its multi-touch device.

Introduced last week, the beta of iPhone OS 4.0 also features references to iChat, including framework strings referencing "front facing" and "back facing." Evidence of iChat sounds has also been found in the pre-release software. While it will hit the iPhone this summer, iPhone OS 4.0 is scheduled to be available for the iPad this fall.

Of late, Apple has been adding cameras to many of its portable devices. Last year, Apple planned to introduce a camera upgrade to its iPod touch line, but alleged technical issues led to the feature being scrapped. Apple did, however, introduce a new iPod nano equipped with a video camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    We all knew this was coming
  • Reply 2 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Oh Pick me! Pick me!
  • Reply 3 of 78
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Yah, after I pay all my bills today I might run across the street and grab a small 16gb model, then wait for V2 with a camera and get the biggest and best. We'll see what I have left after bills though haha
  • Reply 4 of 78
    Was going to wait for the iPad 3g....I'm an unabashed 'early adopter!'

First gen. iPhone, 1st gen. intel iMac, 1st gen. intel MacBook. All bought within a week of their release dates! Same with iLife, iWork and OSX SW upgrades!

Would love an iPad but business is down and will be forced to wait for second gen. iPad with a camera, no doubt.

Hope my 4 year old MacBook breaks soon....then I would have to get the iPad!

Fingers crossed!
  • Reply 5 of 78
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/...rry-16685.html

The numbers are, in absolute terms, small, but interesting nonetheless.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/...rry-16685.html

The numbers are, in absolute terms, small, but interesting nonetheless.

When you take into consideration the limited number of units available in a limited market (US) and the number of days it has been available, add in the fact the 3G model isn't even out yet, they numbers are actually pretty amazing.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

When you take into consideration the limited number of units available in a limited market (US) and the number of days it has been available, add in the fact the 3G model isn't even out yet, they numbers are actually pretty amazing.

I'm not sure the 3G model is going to provide any major boost in sales. Without a doubt the biggest seller is the base model at 499.00. At this point we do not know if thats the case because thats all an user feels they need or if thats the max they feel this product is worth.

Adding an additional 130.00 in hardware costs plus and additional 360.00 a year for service, not sure thats going to generate a large number of 3G sales. Seeing most already are paying for a data plan on their smartphone.

This would mean just for the base model with tax you wouldn't get out of the store for less then 670.00 plus the added yearly data costs.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    I do not think anybody has considered the demand from educational market - worldwide. In my line of work, when I went to university, I had to carry 10 lbs of books, starting with Gross Anatomy Text, Atlas, Histology Text + Atlas, etc, notes. Same in undergrad but not as heavy. HS also requires a lot of books.

The Kindle is good, but it does not have color text. Limited ability to download class notes, assignments, schedules. Access to the net gives instant reference sources.

Besides education, hospitals, and industry all could use the device. Instant access to EKGs, X-rays, lab results and even real time telemetry, medical records, etc. Health care is 17% of GDP... or at least, it was.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I do not think anybody has considered the demand from educational market - worldwide. In my line of work, when I went to university, I had to carry 10 lbs of books, starting with Gross Anatomy Text, Atlas, Histology Text + Atlas, etc, notes. Same in undergrad but not as heavy. HS also requires a lot of books.

The Kindle is good, but it does not have color text. Limited ability to download class notes, assignments, schedules. Access to the net gives instant reference sources.

Besides education, hospitals, and industry all could use the device. Instant access to EKGs, X-rays, lab results and even real time telemetry, medical records, etc. Health care is 17% of GDP... or at least, it was.

Education and medical are two potentially huge markets for the iPad, but in the latter case, someone needs to come up with a killer app that isn't available for any other platform. If that doesn't happen soon, hospitals are likely to look more seriously at the Windows tablets coming onto the market if only because they'd probably integrate more cleanly into their existing IS.

As for textbooks, are any available for purchase at the iBookstore?
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Adding an additional 130.00 in hardware costs plus and additional 360.00 a year for service, not sure thats going to generate a large number of 3G sales. Seeing most already are paying for a data plan on their smartphone.

Apart from disagreeing with your analysis of the sales prospects of the 3G model, a disagreement I believe the sales numbers will shortly bear out, it should be pointed out that there is no $360/year data plan associated with the 3G model. One can spend as little as $0/year for data access.

Admittedly, there's little reason to get the 3G if you never take advantage of it, but, given the fact that you can sign up for 3G service on a monthly basis, a lot of people will be getting these just to have the option of using it when they need to. This might be as little as a couple of $15 charges for limited data access a couple of months a year (used for a couple of weeks when traveling), or it might be $30/month several times a year, as needed. Some people may pay the full $360 per year, but my expectation is that most won't.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Apple has a camera in the iPhone. What expert did Apple use for that but couldn't use for the iPad? Did Apple fire him?

I didn't know putting in a camera entailed more then creating a place for it to reside (was there not an article showing the iPad internal guts and the place where a camera could reside) and purchasing from the camera manufacturer (wouldn't they use the camera being bought for this years iPhone or purchase from the camera manufacturer Apple intends to use next year) and doing whatever software work that needs to be done to bring the camera to life (like the software and apps they currently have in the iPhone OS for the iPhone)...

I know there is someone smarter than I out there in AppleInsider land... What am I leaving out? Why is Apple seeking to hire a camera expert for the iPad when they had some initial training from their iPhone camera efforts and experience?
  • Reply 12 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Education and medical are two potentially huge markets for the iPad, but in the latter case, someone needs to come up with a killer app that isn't available for any other platform. If that doesn't happen soon, hospitals are likely to look more seriously at the Windows tablets coming onto the market if only because they'd probably integrate more cleanly into their existing IS.

As for textbooks, are any available for purchase at the iBookstore?

No. Just no. If you've ever used a Windows tablet and tried to hold it with one hand, you'd see why while they're really cool to have, doctors never use them. 5lbs in one hand is NO fun. And with the hospitals I've worked at, the tablet interface is the same as the desktop one. Which makes in mind-numbingly annoying to use.

I give it 10 years before every hospital replaces what they have with iPads as tablets (plus some capacitive styli). 5 years in major centers.

Now, about the camera thing. If Apple really designed this thing to have "no orientation", then the only logical place to put the camera is in the middle of the screen. Putting it on the sides means you'd have to hold it up in a specific way (likely landscape since top and bottom are already taken).
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Quote:

Apart from disagreeing with your analysis of the sales prospects of the 3G model, a disagreement I believe the sales numbers will shortly bear out, it should be pointed out that there is no $360/year data plan associated with the 3G model. One can spend as little as $0/year for data access.

Admittedly, there's little reason to get the 3G if you never take advantage of it, but, given the fact that you can sign up for 3G service on a monthly basis, a lot of people will be getting these just to have the option of using it when they need to. This might be as little as a couple of $15 charges for limited data access a couple of months a year (used for a couple of weeks when traveling), or it might be $30/month several times a year, as needed. Some people may pay the full $360 per year, but my expectation is that most won't.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I won't have a recurring data charge. I'll buy when needed. That and the fact the GPS seems like another compelling feature.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

No. Just no. If you've ever used a Windows tablet and tried to hold it with one hand, you'd see why while they're really cool to have, doctors never use them. 5lbs in one hand is NO fun. And with the hospitals I've worked at, the tablet interface is the same as the desktop one. Which makes in mind-numbingly annoying to use.

I give it 10 years before every hospital replaces what they have with iPads as tablets (plus some capacitive styli). 5 years in major centers.

A bunch of new models are coming out, some of which are bound to be better than the existing product (though of course they still run Windows). I think we have to be honest and acknowledge that Windows is still the overwhelming default preference in the IT community. I've also been monitoring the temperature of the discussion over the iPad (as have a lot of us), and no surprise, the technorati hate, hate, hate the iPad almost with exception. So I think getting these computers into institutional settings is going to be extremely difficult, with the IT people fighting it tooth-and-nail, unless the case for them is overwhelming. Which, lacking an exclusive killer app, it isn't.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Quote:

"Admittedly, there's little reason to get the 3G if you never take advantage of it"

Exactly my point. Also logic would dictate that if the vast majority of iPad sales are the base model then there is at least reasonable evidence that 499.00 is all consumers feel this product is worth. Consumers are going to spend an extra 130.00 on 3G if they aren't gong to use it if anything they would upsize to the 32gb model.

I also find it hard to believe that the 3G model is going to produce a massive sales increase when many Apple consumers are already paying for a data plan.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I won't have a recurring data charge. I'll buy when needed. That and the fact the GPS seems like another compelling feature.

Right, the GPS is another good reason to go for the 3G.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Now, about the camera thing. If Apple really designed this thing to have "no orientation", then the only logical place to put the camera is in the middle of the screen. Putting it on the sides means you'd have to hold it up in a specific way (likely landscape since top and bottom are already taken).

THe iPad won't replace anything used in a hospital or in the educations system because it is runing a mobile OS that can not run third party software needed that an Full OS can run.

Also if 4-5 lbs is that heavy for you instead of an iPad maybe you should invest in a gym membership.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Quote:

"Admittedly, there's little reason to get the 3G if you never take advantage of it"

Exactly my point. Also logic would dictate that if the vast majority of iPad sales are the base model then there is at least reasonable evidence that 499.00 is all consumers feel this product is worth. Consumers are going to spend an extra 130.00 on 3G if they aren't gong to use it if anything they would upsize to the 32gb model.

I also find it hard to believe that the 3G model is going to produce a massive sales increase when many Apple consumers are already paying for a data plan.

Well, quoting the "Admittedly ..." remark while pretending that I didn't say anything else is a bit disingenuous, as is repeating the bit about a data plan without admitting that it's a monthly plan that you can sign up for and cancel as needed. So, no, it's not exactly your point, it's in exact contradiction to your point.

Your analysis and logic in the second paragraph are flawed. All you can conclude from that is that without 3G that's what most consumers are willing to pay. It doesn't say anything about how much they are willing to pay with 3G.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:

THe iPad won't replace anything used in a hospital or in the educations system because it is runing a mobile OS that can not run third party software needed that an Full OS can run.

Also if 4-5 lbs is that heavy for you instead of an iPad maybe you should invest in a gym membership.

Whenever I look at your posts, I regret it. A gym membership? What kind of comment is that?

I've discussed your other "point" above. To reiterate, a "full OS" (whatever that is) is not the issue. The OS needed is the one that runs the apps that do the job. Nothing more.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Quote:

Oh, you are funny today. What exactly is this, "third party software needed that an Full OS can run"? Oh, stuff that developers wrote? Gee, maybe they can write stuff for the iPad too?

Please carry a half gallon of water around for a day (4lbs) and then come back and tell us about your gym membership.