New MacBook Pros using revised serial number scheme

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The newly released MacBook Pro line is now using a new serial number format to support continued growth and scalability.

The change was first anticipated four years ago when Apple began telling its suppliers to update their in house systems to be able to service the new serial numbers.

Apple hardware formerly used an 11 digit alphanumeric serial number that could be decoded to reveal the manufacturing location, year and week of manufacture, a unique identifier and finally the model number.

Update:Information removed at the demand of Apple legal.

Users are often interested in deciphering the meaning of their serial number in order to determine when their machine was manufactured, and whether it is included in a batch of machines that may appear to be suffering from a similar defect.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Wow. Pretty meaningless.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Wow. Pretty meaningless.

especially the 'suffering from a smiler defect.'
  • Reply 3 of 15
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Wow. Pretty meaningless.

Maybe not. Perhaps this is indicitive of a major product line expansion.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

especially the 'suffering from a smiler defect.'

Is that a defective smile as in a crooked smile or would that imply a defect in the ability to smile? Enquiring minds want to know!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe not. Perhaps this is indicitive of a major product line expansion.

That's quite a leap, yet still meaningless.

It's like saying "New Macbooks coming this Tuesday" then being wrong.

Eventually you will be right (unless they come out on a Wednesday).

The problem with people who analyze everything is the word "anal".
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?that may appear to be suffering from a smiler defect.

Perhaps a new dentist is required...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Wow. Pretty meaningless.

Happy fun guy.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jnoeljnoel Posts: 19member
    This is news?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    This is news?

....or it shows the level of detail Apple employs! If only more businesses were this dedicated and organized!

Apple is a multi-billion dollar international business with no debt that actually makes 'something!'

Unlike the bloodsuckers at Chase, BOA, Citi, Goldman, etc. How do they sleep at night?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Nice to see Apple is demonstrating more foresight with its numbering scheme than Boeing. After the Boeing 797, what's next?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    the article on macrumors was taken down apparently at the request of apple...there has to be more to this story...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnoel View Post

This is news?

Yes, it is news. If you don't understand why, perhaps you shouldn't comment.

I think the reason that it is news is that it indicates that Apple needs to add more information about where its equipment is built.

My iMac can tell me it was made in Shanghai. It can't tell me the name of the factory. I do not know whether Apple uses more than one manufacturer in Shanghai right now, but it is possible they will do so in the future.

Do you care whether my iMac was made in Shanghai A factory or Shanghai B factory? Of course not. But sometime soon it may make a difference. There may be many factories making Apple products in China next year, and more in years to come, and their products may use different chips, different software or hardware increments, that may be needed to maintain them.

The fact that Apple seems to need to add another digit to a manufacturing code may be a strong indication of new expansion plans or changes to the way its products are made, or the number of them it is expecting to produce.

If you are not interested in either of these subjects, then it is not news to you.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnoel View Post

This is news?

I think the reason that it is news is that it indicates that Apple needs to add more information about where its equipment is built.

My iMac can tell me it was made in Shanghai. It can't tell me the name of the factory. I do not know whether Apple uses more than one manufacturer in Shanghai right now, but it is possible they will do so in the future.

Do you care whether my iMac was made in Shanghai A factory or Shanghai B factory? Of course not. But sometime soon it may make a difference. There may be many factories making Apple products in China next year, and more in years to come, and their products may use different chips, different software or hardware increments, that may be needed to maintain them.

The fact that Apple seems to need to add another digit to a manufacturing code may be a strong indication of new expansion plans or changes to the way its products are made, or the number of them it is expecting to produce.

If you are not interested in either of these subjects, then it is not news to you.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    This isn't news. It's fluff.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Well said!