iPad Inventory Levels

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Went into an Apple Store to play with an iPad yesterday, and was surprised to find out that the store had received no stock since last Monday; the sales guy suggested ordering online was the only way.

Has anybody else had this experience? It sounds more ominous than excessive demand-- supply chain issues?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Went into an Apple Store to play with an iPad yesterday, and was surprised to find out that the store had received no stock since last Monday; the sales guy suggested ordering online was the only way.

Has anybody else had this experience? It sounds more ominous than excessive demand-- supply chain issues?

Probably a bit of suppy chain and excessive demand. I'm not sure Apple really had forcased selling a half million of the wifi units alone. They'll probably sell as many 3G units so they're cranking to get these things built and shipped.

It's actually a nice place to be in. Everyone is talking about Tablets (MS, HP, Android etc) but no one is delivering hundreds of thousands like Apple is.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    The currently advertised shipping time at the Apple online store is 5-7 days.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I appreciate there there is the potential that it is a 3G build-up, but it would seem that Apple has limited all deliveries to an estimated 10-20k units via UPS each day, if thy can't re-stock their stores. They should be building at a rate closer to 30-40k per month. Either it is very strong 3g pre-orders, or a major problem. Since a ship date for the 3g hasn't been announced still, I am worried that it is the latter.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Matching supply with demand is no small feat, especially with a new product. I would not worry about any major problems.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    TV is a very popular. I heard that 500$ dollars television in the United States will sell 900$ dollars in China. If you have a lot of inventory, you are soon to become rich
  • Reply 6 of 6
    The supply is really predicated on the location. Stores in the major citys typically get replenished first because they sell out first.