NPD data suggests Apple sold 2.9M Macs, 10M iPods in Q2 2010

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New data from the NPD Group implies Apple could announce sales of 2.9 million Macs and 10 million iPods when it reveals its earnings for the second quarter of fiscal 2010 Tuesday afternoon.

The data was revealed Monday by analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray in a note to investors. NPD's findings suggest Apple sold between 2.8 million and 2.9 million Macs in the March quarter, which would be an increase of 25 percent year-over-year. Munster expects those totals to skew slightly higher, to as much as 31 percent growth.

iPod sales, too, were strong for the first three months of calendar 2010, up 3 percent in the U.S. over the same timeframe in 2009. Munster said the NPD data suggests iPod sales between 9 million and 10 million sales for the quarter, which, despite domestic growth, would represent between 9 percent and 17 percent less than in 2009 worldwide.

"We believe this data suggests slight upside to Mac and iPod in the quarter, and Apple's announcement of 50m+ iPhones sold to date on 4/8 also suggests upside for the iPhone segment," Munster wrote.

It was a few weeks ago that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs revealed that has company has sold more than 50 million iPhones worldwide to date. As noted by Munster last week, that means Apple sold at least 6.9 million iPhones in the March quarter, and likely many more.

Munster again presented an "aggressive case," in which Apple could have sold 7.8 million iPhones in the three-month frame, bringing the worldwide all-time total to 51 million handsets. Wall Street consensus, he said, calls for Apple to have sold 6.8 million iPhones.

The analyst also noted that Apple continues to have favorable comparisons on its side for the first half of the year. In the first six months of 2009, the average year-over-year growth rate was down 1 percent, putting Apple in a position to exceed expectations.

In its first quarter of the 2010 fiscal year, Apple sold a record 3.36 million Macs, as well as 8.7 million iPhones, and 21 million iPods over the holiday season. Munster has high hopes for Apple in 2010, particularly in terms of Mac sales, dubbing it the "Year of the Mac."

Apple will officially announce its quarterly earnings, along with Mac, iPhone and iPod sales, after the market closes Tuesday afternoon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    If it all holds up it would be Apple's best second quarter ever.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Just a day more to find out how the fearless Gene Munster did in his prediction this time. No survey to bolster his claim? I am so disappointed.

CGC
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    How many times have we heard Year of the <Insert product here>? Mac, Notebook, Netbook, Linux, Wii, DS, you name it. Of course, the DS and Wii actually came thru in multiple years heh. Apple sales have been doing exceptionally well tho.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

How many times have we heard Year of the <Insert product here>? Mac, Notebook, Netbook, Linux, Wii, DS, you name it. Of course, the DS and Wii actually came thru in multiple years heh. Apple sales have been doing exceptionally well tho.

2009 was the Year of the Mac. After what Apple pulled off during a recession 2009 should be one for the record books. But now we're into the iPad, Apple's next "Mac."
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It'll be over 3 million Macs sold and will blow the theory that Windows 7 is stunting Mac growth.

iPod Touch will make a remarkable jump in sales as compared to Q1 2010.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    So, where do you expect the analysts to lump the iPad numbers in?

It's not a Mac. It is not really an iPod, tho is shares the OS with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I say we lump the iPad in with the iPod numbers - Consumer Device.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It'll be over 3 million Macs sold and will blow the theory that Windows 7 is stunting Mac growth.

iPod Touch will make a remarkable jump in sales as compared to Q1 2010.

Ahhh the "Window 7 is so good people aren't leaving" red herring. Yeah I expect that to take a big blow tomorrow.

It's kind of weird how journalists have been prone to manufacturing news rather than simply reporting it.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    farshadfarshad Posts: 15member
    Glad i bought more apple stock yesterday while it tanked for no good reason.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Ahhh the "Window 7 is so good people aren't leaving" red herring. Yeah I expect that to take a big blow tomorrow.

It's kind of weird how journalists have been prone to manufacturing news rather than simply reporting it.

Given that all of the Pro desktop and laptop computers were in need of an update, I'm not so sure that we can expect Mac sales greater than 3 million. If Apple sells more than 3 million Macs it would have to be considered a blow-out quarter. I would think 2.6 to 2.8 is more realistic, given the age of the Pro lineup.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It should also be noted many Mac users buy Windows 7. I bought several copies to run under Parallels. Windows sales do not a PC sale make in all cases.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farshad View Post

Good move. It never fails to dip around announcement time. Probably will dip after spectaular results too. But it will climb back I have no fear ... To infinity and beyond .....
  • Reply 12 of 18
    The pre-earnings announcement funk has begun, it would seem: the stock is down >$4 after-hours.....
  • Reply 13 of 18
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The pre-earnings announcement funk has begun, it would seem: the stock is down >$4 after-hours.....

'Tis the season...

Oh well; volatility is fun to trade as well. Got four more contracts at a pretty steep discount today.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good move. It never fails to dip around announcement time. Probably will dip after spectaular results too. But it will climb back I have no fear ... To infinity and beyond .....

It often fails to do this.

Quote:

The market rally which has been going on for about a year now is pretty weary, and AAPL in particular has soared during that time. You should not read anything into changes that occur on a daily or even weekly basis. They are fundamentally meaningless.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You should not read anything into changes that occur on a daily or even weekly basis. They are fundamentally meaningless.

I never read anything into short-term changes. (Unless they are truly huge in percentage terms).
  • Reply 16 of 18
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Well, it's only down seven cents right now in after-hours. The short-term changes are meaningless when they are very minor percentage swings.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I never read anything into short-term changes. (Unless they are truly huge in percentage terms).

And are for reasons that can be identified as being material to profitability. Otherwise, you're probably looking at program trading, which means nothing to us peon investors except that it creates volatility, which to the best of our ability, we should ignore.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farshad View Post

AAPL was the first stock I bought when I figured the recession started to turn around - $89.

I sold enough shares at $245, last week, to erase my original purchase and now I'm playing with "house money".

Feels pretty good. Thank you, Apple.