Apple releases iPhone OS 4.0 beta 2 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A second, pre-release version of iPhone OS 4.0 has been released to developers building apps designed for the new system, just weeks after Apple announced the initial beta.

The new beta of the upcoming 4.0 reference release includes "significant API additions" as well as a new tool that makes it easy to provision a device for development, developers familiar with the new software report.

The new APIs largely flesh out the new multitasking and background processing features related to audio, VoIP telephony, location services, and Task Completion. Apps can now request a ten minute period to complete a task, up from an initial five minutes.

The new build also includes a new animation effect in the multitasking user interface, which swipes the current app out of view to reveal the app the user chooses (below, from the Italian iPhoneHacks.it).

Improvements to GameKit (publicly branded as Game Center) and expanded support for Internet mail features are also rolled into the new release, as well as support for LLVM-GCC and Clang LLVM as new compiler options for iPhone development.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    WIth each new SDK beta I'm always hopeful that more groovy little nuggets will be revealed.

My big hope of course is better document handling but I'm not holding my breath
  • Reply 2 of 37
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Interesting animation...

Am liking the idea that beta updates bring more stuff though.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    All I really care about is the addition of a proper Dvorak keyboard. The cost of doing the update is probably much less than the profit of 100K+ dvorak users who would instantly buy the iPhone as result. But I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

All I really care about is the addition of a proper Dvorak keyboard. The cost of doing the update is probably much less than the profit of 100K+ dvorak users who would instantly buy the iPhone as result. But I'm not holding my breath.

+1

Jeebus how difficult is it to bring Dvorak to a virtual KB?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

+1

Jeebus how difficult is it to bring Dvorak to a virtual KB?

It'd probably take one of Apple's programmers a few minutes or less. Just set up the new keys and layout.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Improvements to GameKit (publicly branded as Game Center)...

Doesn't GameKit include Game Center? Something called GameKit is available in OS 3.0 (I think it lets you connect iPhones/touches locally, among other things).
  • Reply 6 of 37
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I think Apple disabled the camera and video software intentionally. Screen capture appears to have been disabled as well. I guess that explains why the camera continually crashed on the 4G iPhone found in the wild.

Also, the current iteration of Pandora does NOT play in the background.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    bonchbonch Posts: 14member
    Quote:

The world uses Qwerty, sorry.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    sbirsssbirss Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Also, the current iteration of Pandora does NOT play in the background.

Pandora has to apply the multitasking API to the app. You wan't see it in tell it released. \
  • Reply 9 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    At least one beta tester's iPhone 3Gs was completely crashed during installation of this update which required complete restore to beta 1 currently in process of re activation. Be advised. Let you know how it goes later.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    The animation is the opposite of what it appears to be (it's a fade from right to left, not left to right) because the guy was using iSight to film, which mirrors the recording.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Looks good. I am sure there are more UI enhancements with the new iPhone in June!
  • Reply 12 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    So far it seems to be bricked.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

There are plenty of Dvorak keyboards if you Jailbreak.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

There are plenty of Dvorak keyboards if you Jailbreak.

The fact that there are "plenty" Dvorak keyboards if you jailbreak just proves how lame they are. It's confirmation that they are only of interest to obsessive geeks with binary personalities. Android market has almost nothing that is of any value to regular real people, all the apps are ugly geeky copies of iPhone apps.

If Android gives the developer the "freedom to create," why hasn't anyone made anything for Android that's actually useful (to more than the developer), that actually works (without bugs), and has an interface that isn't some butt-ugly monstrosity from the last century?
  • Reply 15 of 37
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The fact that there are "plenty" Dvorak keyboards if you jailbreak just proves how lame they are.

How exactly does one relate to the other? While it's true that the Dvorak layout is not as popular, that still doesn't change the fact that if you do learn the layout you can type significantly faster with much less fatigue and chance for repetitive injury.

It has nothing to do with Dvorak being "lame" or only for geeks. Nice red herring tho!
  • Reply 16 of 37
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonch View Post

The world uses Qwerty, sorry.

The english speaking world does, yes. Go anywhere else, and the keyboard is either slightly different (western europe), quite different (eastern europe), or massively different (all parts of asia -- arabic, chinese, etc). In Mac OS X at least, there is support for dozens of keyboard languages that have fewer mac or iPhone users than there are english speaking dvorak users. Of course, OS X also has phenomenal dvorak support, built-in.

I use dvorak because I broke my wrist 5 years ago and am now prone to RSI... aka repetitive stress injuries. I had to have two surgeries to clear up carpal tunnel brought on by the trauma of the wrist injury. People do incredibly asinine things to mitigate RSI, like buying funky-shaped keyboards, wrist pads, etc. Guess what: the amount of time it takes to get used to Dvorak is less than the time it takes to get used to an "ergonomic" keyboard. Moreover, companies go out of their way to support the "disabled." This can't be profitable. Most Dvorak users I know did so because of RSI, and got hooked because it's so damn good. Supporting Dvorak thus benefits the "disabled" and probably makes profit. I can see this as being one of those things that Steve has axed because he's a complete douchebag -- that is his character. If Google releases a Dvorak layout on their phone, I'm going there.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    I just wish they'd add a file handling system that is universally accessible by all apps and allows direct transferring of files to other computers, memory sticks, etc. Seems like they could do it with a simplified iPhone app version of the OSX Finder.

And external video display of any iphone screen, not just video playback. It's already there - they use it in every iPhone demo - why can't they let the rest of us use it?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

How exactly does one relate to the other? While it's true that the Dvorak layout is not as popular, that still doesn't change the fact that if you do learn the layout you can type significantly faster with much less fatigue and chance for repetitive injury.

Actually, no.

Dvorak is snake-oil and has been debunked in the past.

http://reason.com/archives/1996/06/01/typing-errors

http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...o-slow-typists
  • Reply 19 of 37
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Wonder if this beta has Find My iPhone working?
  • Reply 20 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Wonder if this beta has Find My iPhone working?

Nope.