New Towers or a Memorial?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ABC News showed some of the ideas...some interesting and some totally idiotic. One was a tall building made of glass (???) with a spiral staircase (stupid). Another was two new towers with inside an 11 (911?) foot reflecting pool memorial (one good idea).

Some of the victim's families and loved ones want nothing but a memorial. No buildings at all. Reason being is that many have nothing...no urns, gravesites or headstones. They believe Ground Zero is holy ground and should stay that way.

What are other opinions here? I think that there should be a memorial but believe that rebuilding offices, homes and other buildings should be done too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    I hate reflecting pools. Over done, everything has to be a freaking reflecting pool these days.

IMO it should be an office building of the most use. Towers, not towers what ever. Then a public plaza as a memorial. The kind of place where people would eat lunch everyday. It should be a real part of the city not some stand offish untouchable memorial deal.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    BOTH. To do either a reconstruction of the Towers or a Memorial (without the other) would be really dumb IMO. They should rebuild the towers -- 100 stories each as far as I'm concerned -- more breath-taking than ever...and at their base should be a small park which includes a memorial of some kind.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ™:

<strong>BOTH. To do either a reconstruction of the Towers or a Memorial (without the other) would be really dumb IMO. They should rebuild the towers -- 100 stories each as far as I'm concerned -- more breath-taking than ever...and at their base should be a small park which includes a memorial of some kind.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wonderful idea.

I'll bet anyone $100 that there WILL be office space in the area no matter what. No one is going to give up all that space and not make money off of it. Sad but true.

Office space in NY is just too "valueable" to build a memorial alone.

• Reply 4 of 48
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>BOTH. To do either a reconstruction of the Towers or a Memorial (without the other) would be really dumb IMO. They should rebuild the towers -- 100 stories each as far as I'm concerned -- more breath-taking than ever...and at their base should be a small park which includes a memorial of some kind.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great idea.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    it's a tough situation. and the families of the victims aren't helping. I hate to say it and I hope you don't take it the wrong way but the families have been a little outrageous with their demands. it's either their way or nothing.

IMO, 2 state of the art towers should be built, maybe try to make them the biggest, but that's not as likely. 1 story greater than the old would be good. build them in the 2 corners of the square complex that the original towers were not in and make the 2 other corners where the towers were a memorial.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    HEY! That's my idea that I posted some months back!
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Personally, I think that it should remain a memorial and/or park. Sadly, however, it will likely just be turned into more office buildings. The land it too valuable for it too be left empty...
  • Reply 8 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>HEY! That's my idea that I posted some months back!</strong><hr></blockquote>

sorry, didn't know that. great minds think alike

I'm sure we're not the only ones who have that thought though [quote]Personally, I think that it should remain a memorial and/or park. Sadly, however, it will likely just be turned into more office buildings. The land it too valuable for it too be left empty... <hr></blockquote>

and what good would having a 16 acre piece of grass in downtown manhatten do?

I think that would be the worst memorial
  • Reply 9 of 48
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by RyanTheGreat:

<strong>Personally, I think that it should remain a memorial and/or park. Sadly, however, it will likely just be turned into more office buildings. The land it too valuable for it too be left empty... </strong><hr></blockquote>

What good would a park do in the financial district?
  • Reply 10 of 48
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It's time to take back the throne. I'd be in favor of building the world's tallest on that site. No memorial crap. That stuff can be shown in a small museum in the basement. The best memorial we could build would be another skyscraper in place of the old.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    I agree with Applenut...and Scott.

I'd like to see the towers built as high as safety and technology allows, to bring back the tallest building in the world title to the US again, if for not other reason.

At the base of the towers, erect a small stone plaque, perhaps with a statue of a Fireman, or soldier, or just a normal office worker. On the plaque, engrave something along the lines of:

On September 11, 2001, three thousand Americans died here by the doings of terrorism. They will be remembered forever.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    They don't do high towers anymore. They were all the rage but it's too hard to get people up and down. You have to devote major space just the elevators.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]They don't do high towers anymore. They were all the rage but it's too hard to get people up and down. You have to devote major space just the elevators.

<hr></blockquote>

Boo! They're so cool. Come on, 120 stories isn't asking much.
  • Reply 14 of 48

<strong>They don't do high towers anymore. They were all the rage but it's too hard to get people up and down. You have to devote major space just the elevators.</strong><hr></blockquote>

you bring up a good point but the wrong reason. elevator problems aren't that big. there is actually a new technology using magnets that will allow elevators to actually change lanes and go at varying speeds and the computers that controlled them would be smart enough to make wait times almost nonexistant. its a few years away but so is building a new world trade center.

the big problem IMO would be renting space. I don't know how many would be willing to work on the top floors after this. Maybe I'm completely off but I think many would fear it
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Yea I've seen that idea. Never seen a working system. In theory you would have some shafts as "up" only with maybe ten cars in there at a time. Then some others as "down" only. People are working on it but I don't know how far along they are.
  • Reply 16 of 48

<strong>Yea I've seen that idea. Never seen a working system. In theory you would have some shafts as "up" only with maybe ten cars in there at a time. Then some others as "down" only. People are working on it but I don't know how far along they are.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the chinese have a small (working?) model for testing for the planning of the millenium tower. which btw is gonna be onee big ass tower if they ever do go through with it. I don't think its possible to build. It would use up so much resources
  • Reply 17 of 48
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Rebuild the towers. Make them exactly the same (or better).
  • Reply 18 of 48
    i think there should be a 160 story tall tower made only of stainless steel

not unlike the ifle tower yet looking like joined twins as it rose.

it would be called :

"ode to peace" or "ray of hope"

inside would completely open.

on the ground floor beneath it there would be a great lawn with a few walkways and few places to sit but not too many.

surrounding the tower would be 7 , 45 story tall office buildings.

the 7 office buildings would surround in such a way as to block out all city noise from the inner circle and great lawn from whence the structure rose.

it would be a quiet and peaceful sanctuary inside the city.

if you'd ever sat in the courtyard between the 2 trade centers you know the tranquil vibe that eminated from that place. it would recreate that, in a sense, while casting an eye toward the future and the great promise of human potential.

k
  • Reply 19 of 48
    I don't think it should be over done. As I predicted before the process is going to be a total mess. The Fire and Police Departments are going to want center stage. Watch for heavy union influence. People who lost regular folks are going to be pushed aside. Look for "WTC memorial brought to you by North West Bell" It's going to be a total mess.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    you need news buildings and a memorial.

The news buildings will have to be stronger and not only make into metals, you know steel is not good to resist to fire, because it bend and then it collapse.

The buildings should be different from a twin towers, the towers are gone, nothing could replace them. It would be not respectfull for the victims to make replica or it, it would mean that everything will be like it was before 9/11. Unfortunately, if live has to continue, things will be never like it was before 9/11 especially at New York.

The memorial has to be in ground zero, but he can be incorporate in the new buildings to symbolize the victims burren under millions of tons of steel and rock.