Nokia's earnings disappoint as it struggles to combat Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Finnish cellphone maker Nokia conceded this week that it faces "tough" competition in the high-end smartphone realm, as its disappointing quarterly earnings were a stark contrast from yet another blockbuster quarter for Apple and the iPhone.

Nokia this week revealed that earned 349 million euros, or $465 million, in the first quarter of 2010. Though that was an increase from the 122 million euros earned a year prior, it was also short of estimates expected by analysts due to lower-than-expected mobile device sales.

According to the Financial Times, Nokia conceded that its best handsets are struggling to compete in the high-end market. The company said the average selling price of its phones dropped to 62 euros, down from 66 euros. Smartphones prices saw a large drop, down from 190 euros a year ago to 155 euros in the first quarter of calendar 2010.

"We continue to face tough competition with respect to the high end of our mobile device portfolio," Nokia Chief Exeuctive Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo said

Nokia is still the overall worldwide market leader in both smartphones and total cell phones, but it has lost significant ground since Apple entered the market in 2007. Those losses are widely believed to have inspired Nokia to sue Apple over the alleged use of 10 patented wireless standards in the iPhone.

Apple responded to Nokia with its own lawsuit, accusing the Finnish company of infringing on 13 iPhone-related patents. The battle of the two smartphone giants is expected to drag out for years, with both companies looking for a court hearing to be held in 2012. The U.S. International Trade Commission -- the group with which the complaints were filed -- has agreed to look into both Nokia's and Apple's complaints against the other.

Nokia's earnings reveal this week is in sharp contrast to Apple's own record-setting second fiscal quarter of 2010. On Tuesday, Apple announced its highest-ever quarterly iPhone sales at 8.75 million, topping the previous holiday quarter, based on strong international growth of the handset. The strong iPhone sales propelled Apple to a nearly 90 percent increase in profits, exceeding analyst expectations and pushing the company's stock price to new heights.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 164
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    A floundering also-ran. Good luck to them.
  • Reply 2 of 164
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Apple is doomed...

Had to beat that other dude to the punch!
  • Reply 3 of 164
    Innovate or die.
  • Reply 4 of 164
    I feel badly for the company -- it was such a world-beater at one point.

Nokia is increasingly living in a bubble.

They just don't seem to get it, or if they do, have no clue as to what to do.
  • Reply 5 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Apple is doomed...

Had to beat that other dude to the punch!

Doesn't count, since you forgot the ?
  • Reply 6 of 164
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We continue to face tough competition with respect to the high end of our mobile device portfolio," Nokia Chief Exeuctive Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo said

They certainly do. Between Android's feature dominance and Apple's loyal fans, Nokia is not in a good spot right now.

They have great products. And in most of the world, they own the markets. But the markets are changing, and they need to step up efforts to rebuild their lead.
  • Reply 7 of 164
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i love the design, but i'll hold onto my 3gs until the 4g network has been rolled out.

[and hopefully i'll be getting my next iPhone with a verizon contract, too]

Oflife: i bet you think these designs are inspired...

• Reply 8 of 164
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Doesn't count, since you forgot the ?

/doh!
  • Reply 9 of 164
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    It's marketshare vs profit share and just like Mac vs PC Apple is in the right business!
  • Reply 10 of 164
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Nokia should have stayed with their Series 40 low end phones. Symbian, Series 60, N-Gage (1, 2 and 3), Ovi Store... So many big mistakes...
  • Reply 11 of 164
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    There is bugger all they can do except jump on the Android bandwagon. Quicker they except this the better.
  • Reply 12 of 164
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Oflife: i bet you think these designs are inspired...

<abominations snipped>

Thanks - I was trying to find examples of some of Nokia's past transgressions, and those two images fit the bill.

Now if someone can dig up the interview with their arrogant CEO from a half year ago or so...
  • Reply 13 of 164
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I feel badly for the company -- it was such a world-beater at one point.

Nokia is increasingly living in a bubble.

They just don't seem to get it, or if they do, have no clue as to what to do.

The main thing about Apple that I like is that they're always looking to the future and not holding on to the past. Not only is Symbian trash but previews of their next-gen OS is trash. I'd buy Palm for WebOS if I was them.

Another thing Nokia has to learn (from Apple) is not to throw a thousand features into a phone just for a talking point. Make sure the features you introduce actually work well, if not the best in class. Less is more.

Oh yeah. Get a proper hardware designer.
  • Reply 14 of 164
    It's amazing, completely amazing, that the mobile phone companies did so little innovation for SO LONG. They were practically printing money, yet every time I got a phone it was more confusing, uglier, with smaller icons, buttons and this and that stuck on it. I could take a picture, but it took a week to figure out how to email it, and I had to pay a separate fee for the privilege. (not to mention the HORRIBLE state of trying to download anything)

My brother had a blackberry, and I thought it was the ugliest industrial design since The Gremlin. But it was at least functional, in a stylus, little plastic keyboard sort of way.

I had no idea there was a better way to do the phone thing, and when Apple did announce and show the iPhone - obviously I wasn't the only person blown away.

But exactly what were all these giant mobile phone companies that had massive tech groups, and R&D budgets doing, other than counting money??? They did next to nothing to develop a useful design that married the various technologies.

If you were associated with those companies, and in an area of technical responsibility or product design you really shouldn't be allowed to work in a tech based industry again...OK that's a little harsh, but it took a computer company with NO CELL PHONE experience to kick this industry in the butt. And now, what is the form everyone is taking? And the elements present? I went to a store and tried out some Android phones the other day, believing they were as good as an iPhone after reading about them.

They aren't. I don't care WHAT the system is running or what tech. specs they have, they feel pretty shoddy and the user interface feels glued together. I'm not spreading hate on Android here, I'm just saying they have a lot of catching up to do, just like Nokia.I hope Android improves and the handsets improve, but given the state of the manufacturers Google better just make their own phones from top to bottom if they want to match the quality of an iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 164
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

There is bugger all they can do except jump on the Android bandwagon. Quicker they except this the better.

I was surprised to hear that they developed a new OS. I don't think there is much room for a new phone OS right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released a few cool Android phones. But I don't think that would be their main strategy.

I just bought my kid a Nokia Surge to replace his lost iPhone. It is what he wanted, given that he texts all day and all night. It is what his friends all have.

Dunno if there is lots of money to be made in the midrange market or not, but if Nokia wants to compete at the top end, they need to do something major.
  • Reply 16 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

The main thing about Apple that I like is that they're always looking to the future and not holding on to the past. Not only is Symbian trash but previews of their next-gen OS is trash. I'd buy Palm for WebOS if I was them.

Another thing Nokia has to learn (from Apple) is not to throw a thousand features into a phone just for a talking point. Make sure the features you introduce actually work well, if not the best in class. Less is more.

Oh yeah. Get a proper hardware designer.

You've hit the nail on the head here. Jobs said in the mid-90's:

"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth ? and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago."

Now, I appreciate Macintosh has in fact made a remarkable comeback, but this mindset is what's keeping Apple at the top. It doesn't matter what you've done or what you are doing, what matters is what you are going to do.
  • Reply 17 of 164
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

They certainly do. Between Android's feature dominance...

Only in your Apple hating wet dreams. All of your previous posts prove the point.
  • Reply 18 of 164
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    A 40% jump in profits isn't exactly the end of the world. Apple's figures are spectacular but Nokia is outperforming the industry average.

I'm also confused as to why so it's fashionable, especially in the US, to hate on Nokia. I agree that they've got a lot of problems but I don't understand the hatred and vitriol. Did they sleep with your mother? It's Iceland, not Finland, that's the naughty Nordic country at the moment.

From what I've seen of Symbian^3, the UI is behind the iPhone but catching up. It's certainly a big improvement over S60 5th edition. The most important change is the development tools though. No longer will application developers have to learn the quirks of Symbian C++ as Symbian^3 uses the thoroughly modern (and multi-platform) Qt framework. I can't wait to try it, personally.

EDIT: Looking at Nokia's smartphone sales, they increased to 21.5mil from 20.1mil Q4 2009 (+3%) and 13.7mil Q1 2009 (+57%). I know the price dropped but doing better in Q1 than Q4 is impressive.
  • Reply 19 of 164
    Anyone who thinks Nokia used to be crap forever doesn't know anything. Or else has only been in the US, where customers had to deal with locked-down crappy LG/Samsung phones while the rest of the world was enjoying great (at the time) Nokia phones. However, they forgot what made their stuff great (really really simple to use. The Nokia 3210 family ushered a new generation of simplicity in phones in the mid-late 90's with their single button interface).

Nokia's biggest issue (and the biggest change in paradigm, which yes, was ushered in by Apple) was that phones aren't about HW anymore. They are all about the SW. And I dont think Nokia has the SW capability to compete in this new generation.

They really need to buy Palm, before more of their engineers jump that sinking ship.
  • Reply 20 of 164
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    They should spend last reserves of their cash on buying Palm. That could keep them afloat for few more years.