Google gives Apple the finger.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google has officially ok'd Adobe Air onto Android for application development.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...oid_platf.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Saw this on Daring Fireball and thought it was funny. That is definitely Google's way of trying to taunt Apple. In the end though I am not sure how big a deal this is.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I think it a taunting too.It won't turs out to a very big deal.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Partnerships have been at the very heart of Android, the first truly open and comprehensive mobile platform, since we first introduced it with the Open Handset Alliance. Through close relationships with carriers, device manufacturers, developers, and others, Google is working to enable an open ecosystem for the mobile world by creating a standard, open mobile software platform. Today we're excited that, working with Adobe, we will be able to bring both AIR and Flash to Android.

Google believes that developers should have their choice of tools and technologies to create applications. By supporting Adobe AIR on Android we hope that millions of creative designers and developers will be able to express themselves more freely when they create applications for Android devices. More broadly, AIR will foster rapid and continuous innovation across the mobile ecosystem.

Google is happy to be partnering with Adobe to bring the full web, great applications, and developer choice to the Android platform. Our engineering teams have been working closely to bring both AIR and Flash Player to Google's mobile operating system and devices. The Android platform is enjoying great adoption, and we expect our work with Adobe will help that growth continue.

We also look forward to all the innovative content and applications created for Android and Flash. Join us at Google I/O in May to learn more about our work together with Adobe to open up the world of Flash on mobile devices.

So how exactly does Google's great "open platform" jive with AIR/Flash? Google may believe that developers will should have their choice of tools and technologies but that still doesn't explain how it works within an "open platform".

Is AIR open source? Is it royalty free?

Why is my web "not" full if I don't have AIR or Flash? By that definition most of Googles tools don't provide "full" web.

Google has turned into a douchebag of a company. No worries though. I'll just cancel my Google account. I've got Mobileme which doesn't thrust advertising in my face. I really don't need Google.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Actually, the title should read more like:

Google gives Apple a leg up...

Since they are doing the dirty job of getting Flash optimized for Linux and the ARM platform...

...and doing that on a live user base that is willing to get screwed with whatever product they are given, until performance is right.

Flash and AIR may well be an infection vector if not done right...

Flash may eat at battery life...

Flash may crash...

But Droid users are gonna be the guinea pigs...so all is right

In the end, if Flash comes to Apple devices, say two years from now, it should be at least half decent...

Dan
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Flash won't be coming.

Both Apple and Google have profit to make and I don't begrudge either of them for walking

a tight line but I'm aligned with Apple's principals on this one versus Google.

We've already had to work so hard to eradicate former attempts at controlling the internet via proprietary methods and here we go again with Flash, Silverlight and other BS.

Google should know better but right now they want to beat Apple so badly they're willing to compromise principals.

I can already feel the sentiments about Google changing. I doubt I'll be the only one going Google Free sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

[snip]

I can already feel the sentiments about Google changing. I doubt I'll be the only one going Google Free sooner rather than later.

[/snip]

Yea, Google may be worth a lot in $$$, but they've felt to me as "cheap" and a little off, from the time i first began using their newer services..

The whole company spirit actually.... 5 or so years and they will rot from the inside due to poor management.

Still, their search technology is the best at the moment. Just don't log in and don't click on the ads. Use it while it lasts

Dan
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Jeez, I'm not anti-Flash by any stretch of the imagine, but a bit of LMAO at Android users... Good f**** luck with Flash and Air running smoothly, consistently, etc. on your mobile device.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayRobot View Post

Actually, the title should read more like:

Google gives Apple a leg up...

Since they are doing the dirty job of getting Flash optimized for Linux and the ARM platform...

...and doing that on a live user base that is willing to get screwed with whatever product they are given, until performance is right.

Flash and AIR may well be an infection vector if not done right...

Flash may eat at battery life...

Flash may crash...

But Droid users are gonna be the guinea pigs...so all is right

In the end, if Flash comes to Apple devices, say two years from now, it should be at least half decent...

Dan

Hah! Brilliant.