Can't Play Shockwave Games

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am running 10.6.3 on an aluminum 2.0 GHz iMac with 2 GB of RAM.

1. Games on Shockwave.com eventually freeze. That should imply Shockwave is actually installed and running. Safari is in 32-bit mode as I was told to do.

2. Games on King.com tell me Flash is installed but Shockwave is not.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Flash and Shockwave until I'm blue in the face. This may seem petty, but I do love my games, games that do play in Windows. Flawlessly!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Have you tried Firefox?

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think no one reads this stuff. I have tried as many browsers as I can find. While King.com claims to support Mac OS and Firefox, it cannot see that I have Shockwave installed. I finally found a combination that works with Shockwave.com, but it is very jerky.

Flash is quite unpredictable. I also use Great Day Games, and sometimes Flash runs in slow motion. No wonder Steve Jobs doesn't like it. I think the real problem is Flash and Shockwave don't like Mac OS.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I´m a Jobs fan, but I know he is a rapid fire change artist and expects the entire industry to follow close behind with no advance warning or disclosure of his business plans with the rest of the industry.

But that´s what makes him successful, being a Mac user means being on the cutting edge sometimes.

Supposedly Flash is going to get a little hardware acceleration in the next update of OS X, should smooth things out a bit for you.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

I´m a Jobs fan, but I know he is a rapid fire change artist and expects the entire industry to follow close behind with no advance warning or disclosure of his business plans with the rest of the industry.

But that´s what makes him successful, being a Mac user means being on the cutting edge sometimes.

Supposedly Flash is going to get a little hardware acceleration in the next update of OS X, should smooth things out a bit for you.

The only Steve I am fond of is Woz. I will end up quietly returning to the alleged inferior OS. I've been a Mac user for 2 1/2 years now, not counting my previous iMac and OS 9. For me, it has turned out to be a huge mistake. Apple doesn't play well with others.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

The only Steve I am fond of is Woz. I will end up quietly returning to the alleged inferior OS. I've been a Mac user for 2 1/2 years now, not counting my previous iMac and OS 9. For me, it has turned out to be a huge mistake. Apple doesn't play well with others.

On the good side, I´ve only got one virus on a Mac since they have been in existence, a WDEF virus on a game disk, pre-internet.

My stress level goes up immediately upon using a Windows PC, the annoying pop-ups, the nagware to run anti-malware software, the blue screens of death, the costs and headaches fixing the machine all the time.

I´ve had much better success with Windows in VM on O S X and keeping the damm thing off the internet. If it gets hosed, I just revert to a earlier install, takes seconds, no stress, no anti-malware, no defragging etc.

If I´m going to play a game, it´s going to be on my PS3
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

On the good side, I´ve only got one virus on a Mac since they have been in existence, a WDEF virus on a game disk, pre-internet.

My stress level goes up immediately upon using a Windows PC, the annoying pop-ups, the nagware to run anti-malware software, the blue screens of death, the costs and headaches fixing the machine all the time.

I´ve had much better success with Windows in VM on O S X and keeping the damm thing off the internet. If it gets hosed, I just revert to a earlier install, takes seconds, no stress, no anti-malware, no defragging etc.

If I´m going to play a game, it´s going to be on my PS3

Way back when, I got a virus from a package of 720K floppies. I did say way back. DOS days. Only once, and it was my own fault, I got a Windows virus. I don't believe the blue screen of death exists today. Sounds like you haven't touched Windows in a while. My Mom is very low tech. She has an entry level Dell with Vista. I have more issues with my Mac!

So your Genius Bar level solution is to spend money I don't have on a PS3. My solution is to give up and use a different website that is Flash only and works just fine.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Well trolled. Good luck.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Well trolled. Good luck.

Well said. As always, anyone who doesn't have just the right thing to say on this forum is a troll. It is JackAsses like you that are one of the reasons to return to Windows. I would not expect such a pathetic attitude here in the Genius Bar. Go back and read the rules for this section!

When I no longer own a Mac, I will not be trolling this website. But I currently DO own a Mac. So back off!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Gave up on Shockwave. Now Flash just loves to bring down my browser, any browser, and when Flash does work, it is jerky. This computer isn't even stable enough to sell off. Coming to this forum is useless, with all you Kool-Aid Clowns!