Honestly, why can't we just _take_ Flash from Adobe?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Do you suppose i can delete this until i have something to show besides just talk....

Sorry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Adobe needs to somehow bring Flash to a HTML5/6 platform. Meaning start opening up components and coding.

Flash and Actionscript 3 is powerful and widely used. But if they want to stay on top of the game they need to build a "bridge" platform.

Something like, you use Flash Professional CS5 and it creates HTML5 kind of interactivity and video playback controls, etc.

Dreamweaver's DHTML/AJAX tools are alright, but to create some high-level stuff it's not quite there.

Somewhere in the next 5 years Adobe needs to think seriously about the future of the web and how they sell Dreamweaver and Flash. For example, maybe more updates more frequently, a wider downloadable component environment, and so on.

For most of the world Flash is de facto the big desktop interactive delivery platform. It is being superceded as a desktop *VIDEO* platform though.

Then, once we get into the mobile stage, no Flash. Flash->iPhoneApp converter was a nifty idea but it doesn't really deal Adobe back into the game.

Anyone anti-Flash is now accused of being an Apple fanboy. Flash is not under serious threat on the desktop but Adobe needs to adapt accordingly. They're staffed with talented and smart people, and I'm not sure how their revenue streams are managed, but basically we need to have more unified, cross-compatible, cross-device tools for web stuff.

I probably haven't made that much sense, but nonetheless, just getting some thoughts out there.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Look, I haven't had the time to read your post, but I want to clarify. This thread was actually about an open source project I had in mind, aimed at replacing flash as both a plugin and an IDE. So take meant to steal, to steal the whole platform.

We have the means to do that.

I just wanted to pull this thread until I have a concrete example in place and ready to look for someone willing to contribute to it.

I will post a new thread when I have something better to say. The title I picked is awful but I can still repost what I was saying.

I will make sure to read your post after I get a bit of sleep

Thanks!

Dan