Estimate says Apple has sold more than a million iPads

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With more than 500,000 confirmed sold in its first week, a new estimate has predicted that Apple recently doubled that amount and crossed the 1 million threshold for total iPad sales.

The numbers were calculated by seeing how many new, unique iPads were spotted coming through Chitika's online advertising network. The running tally has been in place since soon after the iPad launched, and the advertising firm's calculations have been adjusted a number of times in an effort to provide more accurate estimates.

The estimates suggest that the iPad is most popular in California, with 19.12 percent of all devices emanating from the western state. In second is New York with 8.3 percent, followed by Texas (8 percent), Florida (5.88 percent), and Illinois (3.84 percent). The iPad is least popular in Wyoming, where just 0.03 percent of all devices were tracked.

Just a few days after the iPad launched, the firm incorrectly estimated that more than 500,000 iPads were sold -- a number that was not actually achieved until the end of the iPad's first week of availability. On April 8, Chitika conceded that its assumptions in calculating iPad sales were "way off." It then adjusted its sales estimates with a new formula the company believes is more accurate.

Subsequent updates also accommodated for the fact that an iPad coming through their networks had an average of 2.73 different unique IP addresses. The firm also found a way to track iPads by browser cookies, through a workaround that bypasses Mobile Safari's rejection of third-party cookies.

Apple has revealed a handful of official iPad sales figures since the device launched earlier this month. The hardware sold more than 300,000 on its first day, reached 450,000 in its first five days, and topped 500,000 at the end of its first week.

Apple executives admitted they were surprised by the initial sales of the iPad. Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said during his company's second fiscal quarter of 2010 conference call that sales "far exceeded our expectations."

"It has shocked us, the level of demand, at least initially," Cook said. Strong sales forced Apple to delay the international launch of the iPad until the end of May, as the hardware maker looks to meet demand in the U.S. with the currently available Wi-Fi model, and soon-to-launch 3G version, to be released this Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I'm wondering how those state-by-state numbers look when normalized for population...

0.03% in Wyoming might be near complete market penetration!
  • Reply 2 of 102
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I'm wondering how those state-by-state numbers look when normalized for population...

Their previous numbers did express people per iPad in each state and without checking I presume the revised figure do too. But we know now what nearly everyone suspected before, which is that these figures are little better than WAGs anyway. Fun for sport only.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I'm not surprised since AT&T offers no service in Wyoming and there are no Apple stores and I don't think any Best Buys either.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    We'll see how all the iPad wannabe's do in total sale compared to Apple's product, this year is going to be very interesting.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    Almost every time we see estimates for new products sold, they are right on the money. Bank on these numbers.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    But no one wants an oversize iPod Touch! Apple is Doomed!™

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I hope Apple release the iPad 3G first day figures. I am interested in WiFi vs 3G numbers.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Almost every time we see estimates for new products sold, they are right on the money. Bank on these numbers.

The previous estimate by this same company was wrong so I wouldn't agree that they are almost always right. I would guess it's it's a decent estimate though. It's also worth noting that there is a very healthy grey market for ipads being shipped overseas that these estimates don't account for.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    Chitika sucks. Being a publisher i know they suck.

They used to be leaders in in-text advertising but have lost ground to Infolinks which started just in 2007.

I wudnt believe any ad network's statics for the number of iPads sold except Google AdSense maybe.

Frankly, AppleInsider, this is not newsworthy. As you can see, they "improved" their estimation model which means they were wrong the first time. Next time, please dont make a frontpage news article out of Chitika's estimates.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

Frankly, AppleInsider, this is not newsworthy. As you can see, they "improved" their estimation model which means they were wrong the first time. Next time, please dont make a frontpage news article out of Chitika's estimates.

Actually, they've revised their methodology numerous times because they were overestimating the numbers.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    The AI report says: "The firm also found a way to track iPads by browser cookies, through a workaround that bypasses Mobile Safari's rejection of third-party cookies."

Perhaps I don't understand what it really means. Otherwise, am I the only one that finds this potentially invasive and hence, troublesome?
  • Reply 11 of 102
    And this isn't Worldwide launch yet.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

But no one wants an oversize iPod Touch! Apple is Doomed!?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I hope Apple release the iPad 3G first day figures. I am interested in WiFi vs 3G numbers.

It is still true that hardly anybody wants to buy an iPad. This data does not suggest otherwise. All it means is that the relatively small number of people who do want an iPad have been efficient enough to buy one in the first few weeks. Sales will immediately fall off a cliff now that everyone who wants one has gotten one, and Apple will be bankrupt within two weeks.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kovich View Post

It is still true that hardly anybody wants to buy an iPad. This data does not suggest otherwise. All it means is that the relatively small number of people who do want an iPad have been efficient enough to buy one in the first few weeks. Sales will immediately fall off a cliff now that everyone who wants one has gotten one, and Apple will be bankrupt within two weeks.

In case you missed it, that's why NasserAE said, Apple is Doomed!?

• Reply 15 of 102
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    ops doubt post...
  • Reply 16 of 102
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps I don't understand what it really means. Otherwise, am I the only one that finds this potentially invasive and hence, troublesome?

No, you're not, I find it troublesome as well.
  • Reply 17 of 102
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Does not surprise me, I am beginning to see them all over the place, I am seeing more of them than I did when the iphone launched. Most people were playing games and watching videos, have not see too many people reading books on them.

Also, I would say a number of the people with the ipad are not your traditional apple buyer, which is people with disposable income. Many appear to be PC users and do not have an iphone.

Just my unscientific observation.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The previous estimate by this same company was wrong so I wouldn't agree that they are almost always right. I would guess it's it's a decent estimate though. It's also worth noting that there is a very healthy grey market for ipads being shipped overseas that these estimates don't account for.

They were off by about 50k.

even if you give it a 50k either way lee way, it is very possible that they will be on track to have sold 1 million or very close by the 3g launch day. And that's rather impressive for a device boo'd as a big ipod touch. the numbers for the +3g and international could skyrocket.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Arstechnia is already seeing surprisingly high iPad usage.

• The Apple Store I was in yesterday had no iPads in stock.

• Apple Stores need to use something more durable than the standard 30-pin connector cable. They were all torn to shreds where the cable meets the plastic. It looked very unprofessional.

• If tablets sold a whooping 1.09M units last year then it looks like Apple now owns 50% of the tablet market (using last year's stats). Sure, I still have to calculate the 58 Joojoos sold. \

• Just wait until the 3G version and worldwide sales hit.

• Has anyone been charged yet for the 3G version they purchased?
  • Reply 20 of 102
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kovich;

I agree with everything you said. To me this is almost a test case of Apple's mind share in the market which is proving to be dominant. As of today, since it's not a computer yet but eventually will be, the most reasonablee use is as an e-reader or luxury device. The economy is still recovering so the average person can't afford to spend money on a device that they can live without. There is a story on CNN where people have been waiting in line for jobs in Queens, NY (my hometown) since Friday for a job application for a union job.

I think this will be a moderately successful product until it becomes a computer so it can actually replace something. For those who disagree, remember what Jobs had said during the Q&A at OS 4.0, that hopefully people will look back on the iPad and realize how important it really was.