Review: Apple's early 2010 MacBook Pros

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

Im VERY happy to hear that. 4-5 hours of battery life is amazing to me, cause all laptops iv ever own/used have been typical windows dell/hp/toshiba laptops that have a 2 hours battery.

So 4-5 is epic, BUT...when your told "7-8 hours" by Apple and this is the MBP generation i plan on buying and keeping for years and years...getting the generation where they have the worst battery charge isnt ideal.

The test is based on WiFi browsing so if you turn off other apps you should get that. That time also excludes plugins as running Flash will surely drive your power usage up and battery life down. I think the screen brightness is for 50%, but don't quote me on that, and while using Safari which is more power efficient than 3rd-party browsers.
    Unfortunately, the average user doesn't know or care about ideal test setups, only that they only get x-many hours less than advertised. Even if it's better than other machines and Apple uses a more fair testing scenerio that other OEMs there is still a long way to go before customers can not worry about using their notebooks all day. The iPad is the first machine I've used without worrying about preserving the juice.
  • Reply 102 of 120
    m3rc natem3rc nate Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The test is based on WiFi browsing so if you turn off other apps you should get that. That time also excludes plugins as running Flash will surely drive your power usage up and battery life down. I think the screen brightness is for 50%, but don't quote me on that, and while using Safari which is more power efficient than 3rd-party browsers.
    Unfortunately, the average user doesn't know or care about ideal test setups, only that they only get x-many hours less than advertised. Even if it's better than other machines and Apple uses a more fair testing scenerio that other OEMs there is still a long way to go before customers can not worry about using their notebooks all day. The iPad is the first machine I've used without worrying about preserving the juice.

Yeah i mean i get that. Their conditions are just that, conditions. And im not some huge battery charge nut or anything, 99% of my laptop usage will be by a outlet, and 85% in my room and plugged in (so not using the battery).

BUT having a new technology (graphics switching) actually be a negative to battery charge time (in the sense that it turns on and leaves on the nvidia when it should be using integrated GPU) is something i definitely want minimalized as much as it can be. Hearing that its VERY likely that apple will release fixes (at some point or another) is very very good to hear.
  • Reply 103 of 120
    Quote:

BUT having a new technology (graphics switching) actually be a negative to battery charge time (in the sense that it turns on and leaves on the nvidia when it should be using integrated GPU) is something i definitely want minimalized as much as it can be.

The one feature I would like to see is the ability to disable the dGPU altogether while using the battery. They have a single switch to prevent the IGP from turning on. To me, this seems like an odd oversight.
  • Reply 104 of 120
    Quote:

The one feature I would like to see is the ability to disable the dGPU altogether while using the battery. They have a single switch to prevent the IGP from turning on. To me, this seems like an odd oversight.

I completely agree. I would think of all things you would want to force the computer into using the power SAVER gpu...not force it into using the power USER gpu. I hope (but doubt) they will give the option to turn off the Nvidia GPU and keep the integrated on only option.
  • Reply 105 of 120
    Quote:

I completely agree. I would think of all things you would want to force the computer into using the power SAVER gpu...not force it into using the power USER gpu. I hope (but doubt) they will give the option to turn off the Nvidia GPU and keep the integrated on only option.

You're in luck...
  • Reply 106 of 120
    Quote:

You're in luck...

You beat me to it dude.
  • Reply 107 of 120
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It is pathetic Apple didn't include ability to switch graphics cards. But some guy can. I'm thankful this guy developed this though!

My MBP will be going back. Yellow screen at the bottom third of screen, weak wifi, dropping connections, and 4-hour battery. I'm very, very disappointed. I guess all the QA is on friggin' iPads and not computers. Oh I forgot the best part: it randomly freezes HARD sometimes. As in, requiring reboot and losing all work. Has happened a few times already. Plenty of people at Macrumors and elsewhere have seen this too and it appears to affect all new 2010 MBPs.

Very disappointed. I will swap it for a new MBP and hope the issues go away. If not I'll ask to swap to a MacBook. Hopefully then there will be no issues. I hope.
  • Reply 108 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

It is pathetic Apple didn't include ability to switch graphics cards. But some guy can. I'm thankful this guy developed this though!

My MBP will be going back. Yellow screen at the bottom third of screen, weak wifi, dropping connections, and 4-hour battery. I'm very, very disappointed. I guess all the QA is on friggin' iPads and not computers. Oh I forgot the best part: it randomly freezes HARD sometimes. As in, requiring reboot and losing all work. Has happened a few times already. Plenty of people at Macrumors and elsewhere have seen this too and it appears to affect all new 2010 MBPs.

Very disappointed. I will swap it for a new MBP and hope the issues go away. If not I'll ask to swap to a MacBook. Hopefully then there will be no issues. I hope.

Lol well your not helping my decision to buy a MBP right now, BUT, all true info is good info. So thanks. Yeah i hope either that guys Beta gets perfected cause idk about putting a beta program like that my (not yet bought) MBP considering i have no experience with OS-X or Apple laptops. Either the beta gets perfected or Apple puts out a update eventually that gives us the option to switch between the 2 GPU's.
  • Reply 109 of 120
    Quote:

Lol well your not helping my decision to buy a MBP right now, BUT, all true info is good info. So thanks. Yeah i hope either that guys Beta gets perfected cause idk about putting a beta program like that my (not yet bought) MBP considering i have no experience with OS-X or Apple laptops. Either the beta gets perfected or Apple puts out a update eventually that gives us the option to switch between the 2 GPU's.

The bottom third of the screen has a yellow tint on nearly all MBP displays as well. \

It's very noticeable in iTunes or Finder looking at the blue interleaved stripes. They aren't even visible on the bottom when viewed head-on.

Battery lasts 4-5 hours too. Not that I was expecting 10 but jeez, at least a bit more than half what they advertise. Yes, everything is off. Full screen brightness, though.

Anyhow. I am probably going to ask for a replacement. Apple is already looking in to it for me. But I am going to BestBuy to look at other MBP displays and see if the yellow tint is "normal". From MacRumors.com threads it seems to be more often than not the case that you'll have yellow tinting at the bottom of the screen. It's been this way for the last several years in fact. I wish I hadn't noticed it. I do graphics stuff though so maybe that is why I noticed it. I probably will end up swapping for a MacBook. If Apple products can't be perfect then I may as well get a cheaper unit.

But the customer service is #1. They are great at least about this stuff. I've sent many Macs in, they've always come back quick and they've taken care of me every time.
  • Reply 110 of 120
    Quote:

The bottom third of the screen has a yellow tint on nearly all MBP displays as well. \

It's very noticeable in iTunes or Finder looking at the blue interleaved stripes. They aren't even visible on the bottom when viewed head-on.

Battery lasts 4-5 hours too. Not that I was expecting 10 but jeez, at least a bit more than half what they advertise. Yes, everything is off. Full screen brightness, though.

Anyhow. I am probably going to ask for a replacement. Apple is already looking in to it for me. But I am going to BestBuy to look at other MBP displays and see if the yellow tint is "normal". From MacRumors.com threads it seems to be more often than not the case that you'll have yellow tinting at the bottom of the screen. It's been this way for the last several years in fact. I wish I hadn't noticed it. I do graphics stuff though so maybe that is why I noticed it. I probably will end up swapping for a MacBook. If Apple products can't be perfect then I may as well get a cheaper unit.

But the customer service is #1. They are great at least about this stuff. I've sent many Macs in, they've always come back quick and they've taken care of me every time.

Wow thats really messed up. Why do people keep saying when asked whats the incentive for paying so much more for a apple? "You get better quality of build" etc...when your telling me that they are known for having messed up screens and are freezing and all that?

Do a lot of people who get MBP's get correctly functioning ones though? I mean if i order a 17" i7, its possible i will get a non yellow, non freezing one? And if i do get one with yellow, is apple good about me shipping it to them and them replacing it or replacing the monitor or something like that?
  • Reply 111 of 120
    Quote:

Wow thats really messed up. Why do people keep saying when asked whats the incentive for paying so much more for a apple? "You get better quality of build" etc...when your telling me that they are known for having messed up screens and are freezing and all that?

Do a lot of people who get MBP's get correctly functioning ones though? I mean if i order a 17" i7, its possible i will get a non yellow, non freezing one? And if i do get one with yellow, is apple good about me shipping it to them and them replacing it or replacing the monitor or something like that?

No one makes a good computer any more.

My wife's PB G4 12" is a tank. It's awesome.

So is my Color Classic. Yeah, that's right. Color Classic. It still works.

No one makes anything good any more it's all just crap. Believe me if you are on the fence get a Mac Nate because their service is better and once you DO get a unit that is free of defects it's no where near PC experience.

#1 reason to get a Mac: no viruses or spyware. That alone would do it for me. As in, you don't have to wonder whether you are getting a virus every second you are on the Internet. #2: OS X is better than Windows and easier. Windows 7 I have not tried yet but I hear it's ok but still I have a hard time believing they managed to copy OS X yet.

That being said, Apple as with all other companies has gone downhill lately with manufacturing quality. But they take care of you. They will replace mine. I will report back on how it goes.
  • Reply 112 of 120
    Quote:

No one makes a good computer any more.

My wife's PB G4 12" is a tank. It's awesome.

So is my Color Classic. Yeah, that's right. Color Classic. It still works.

No one makes anything good any more it's all just crap. Believe me if you are on the fence get a Mac Nate because their service is better and once you DO get a unit that is free of defects it's no where near PC experience.

#1 reason to get a Mac: no viruses or spyware. That alone would do it for me. As in, you don't have to wonder whether you are getting a virus every second you are on the Internet. #2: OS X is better than Windows and easier. Windows 7 I have not tried yet but I hear it's ok but still I have a hard time believing they managed to copy OS X yet.

That being said, Apple as with all other companies has gone downhill lately with manufacturing quality. But they take care of you. They will replace mine. I will report back on how it goes.

This is all such complete BS. My brand new MBP is faster than your PB is every way, the ppi is higher, the gamut is higher, the viewing angle higher, the brightness higher. There is no comparison. I've had more issues with PBs than MBPs over the years, and since moving to milled chunk of aluminium nothing is more "tank line" in the MBPs.

PS: Show us proof that "nearly all MBP displays" are bad.
  • Reply 113 of 120
    As much as i would love to upgrade to the 15", i just cant justify the price insrease for the small bit of real esate. Though if the wife says yes and money is approved i might just any way,
  • Reply 114 of 120
    Quote:

This is all such complete BS. My brand new MBP is faster than your PB is every way, the ppi is higher, the gamut is higher, the viewing angle higher, the brightness higher. There is no comparison. I've had more issues with PBs than MBPs over the years, and since moving to milled chunk of aluminium nothing is more "tank line" in the MBPs.

PS: Show us proof that "nearly all MBP displays" are bad.

Solip I saw it on all the new MBPs at BestBuy. But not on the iMac. It would be hard to show you with a picture of one although people have done it and it's barely visible as a phenomenon. Also people have taken a pic of it and then used the Dropper in Photoshop to see that the color is different. It's real. Perhaps it's something to do with the LED. I definitely love how bright it is though! But the yellow color gradient is really noticeable. I even notice it here with the grey background. Maybe I am just color sensitive?? Again the blue lines in Finder or iTunes are noticeable-they disappear almost at the bottom of the screen. Now, my Gateway 23" LCD does this as well. I don't think it's LED either. But it's a cheap display. Some of the cheap PC laptops didn't have this problem either. Lastly some people that got a replacement ended up satisfied and got it fixed. Many others however went through many units and eventually gave up, never getting one without the yellow.

I know no model will ever have all units be flawless. It's just that this issue has been around for years, ever since the first LED laptop screens. While most buyers probably don't notice or care, some do and it must cost Apple a lot to do returns. Perhaps they found it cheaper to not fix it and just eat the returns? Anyhow I'll report back, as I'm getting a replacement (because of this, wireless dropouts, and most importantly the hard crashing.)

Solip I guess you got lucky with MBPs and I got lucky with PBs, and I agree solip the unibody design is nice! And these new MBPs are FAST! Lastly, I have a feeling NVIDIA bears much responsibility of late for problems too. Remember that other catastrophe a year ago or something where they knew about a problem and didn't tell Apple if I recall right. I wish Apple had gone with ATi. I don't get why they like NVIDIA so much. I have a hunch the hard crashing is the NVIDIA driver and/or the switching between the two cards.

Test for the yellow: http://www.imac.squeaked.com/test.php

http://cantonbecker.com/yellowish-ma...-stories-here/

MacRumors threads: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901710

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=318198
  • Reply 115 of 120
    Quote:

Solip I saw it on all the new MBPs at BestBuy. But not on the iMac. It would be hard to show you with a picture of one although people have done it and it's barely visible as a phenomenon.

Nearly all (or even all) MBPs at a Best Buy is much more probable. If your original statement was anecdotal account of all the MBPs you saw in a store then I apologize as I can't say such a statement is false, but I recall you saying that nearly all MBPs as a blanket statement.

I have a new MBP as well a several people I know and none of them have this issue.

I have no doubt that there are batches that are shipped flawed. This is what happens when you have dozens of companies making components that you have mass produced in millions at several different manufacturing plants. This is really no different than any other CE company out there, save for the very few that test each-and-every finished product coming off the floor but that is unrealistic at the prices Apple charges for a PC.

Quote:

Lastly, I have a feeling NVIDIA bears much responsibility of late for problems too.

I've never been a fan of Nvidia. They tend not to do the amount of testing I prefer from companies I buy from. I waited awhile to see if the 9400M was going to be an issue with the unibody MacBook a few years back specifically because it was Nvidia.
  • Reply 116 of 120
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Normal people watch movies on their Macs.

There's that too.

Really? Seems to me normal people would watch Blu-Ray movies on a large screen entertainment center with a nice surround system, not on a computer.
  • Reply 117 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Really? Seems to me normal people would watch Blu-Ray movies on a large screen entertainment center with a nice surround system, not on a computer.

That likelihood seems to oft get ignored. Blu-ray is great for movies on an HDTV. Blu-ray sales are increasing.

What I don't see any evidence of Blu-ray drive sales on PCs growing quickly or people scraping DVDs and internet-based video to watch Blu-ray on notebook, which account for the majority of PC sales.

Would Apple supporting AACS in Mac OS X be great? Sure, but it's not a deal breaker. Would Apple also selling Blu-ray drives for their Macs despite the cost being at least $500 more than the DVD drive for their notebooks? Sure, but I don't see many buying them and I foresee the same people wanting Blu-ray in Macs then complaining about the cost of a ultra-slim 9.5mm slot-loading Blu-ray drive.

(I won't even get into where I think Apple plans on taking the Mac and why optical drives as a whole are not in their future)
  • Reply 118 of 120
    zurielzuriel Posts: 53member
    Quote:

That likelihood seems to oft get ignored. Blu-ray is great for movies on an HDTV. Blu-ray sales are increasing.

What I don't see any evidence of Blu-ray drive sales on PCs growing quickly or people scraping DVDs and internet-based video to watch Blu-ray on notebook, which account for the majority of PC sales.

Would Apple supporting AACS in Mac OS X be great? Sure, but it's not a deal breaker. Would Apple also selling Blu-ray drives for their Macs despite the cost being at least $500 more than the DVD drive for their notebooks? Sure, but I don't see many buying them and I foresee the same people wanting Blu-ray in Macs then complaining about the cost of a ultra-slim 9.5mm slot-loading Blu-ray drive.

(I won't even get into where I think Apple plans on taking the Mac and why optical drives as a whole are not in their future)

Ha! i agree...blu ray is kinda pointless on a laptop. you need a big screen to enjoy it for all its worth. don't forget about the prices of the actual disk is high too.

I watch most (like 90%) of my movies online via Netflix (even though most are horrible). I see physical media becoming extinct sooner than later...just look at how all the movie companies have signed with netflix to have their dvd's coming out a month later. they are trying what they can to keep physical media alive.

if netflix had there entire library of movies streaming, and all i had to pay was $20-$30 a month, I'd probably wouldnt even make my way to theaters anymore either!
  • Reply 119 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

Ha! i agree...blu ray is kinda pointless on a laptop. you need a big screen to enjoy it for all its worth. don't forget about the prices of the actual disk is high too.

I watch most (like 90%) of my movies online via Netflix (even though most are horrible). I see physical media becoming extinct sooner than later...just look at how all the movie companies have signed with netflix to have their dvd's coming out a month later. they are trying what they can to keep physical media alive.

if netflix had there entire library of movies streaming, and all i had to pay was $20-$30 a month, I'd probably wouldnt even make my way to theaters anymore either!

Yeah but thats you, one tech able guy thats on the internet enough to watch movies on his computer. And yeah there are a lot of us out there that can, but the MASS majority is still not on their computers that much, i dont see the majority of 40 and 50 year olds all of a sudden sitting at their computer and watching netflix instant for movies instead of in their recliner infront of their tv. I think dvd's will last a LOT longer than you "get rid of physical media!!" guys want. Also dont forget, the movie company's will fight to keep selling dvds, the dvd player company's will fight to keep selling dvds, and your internet providers are battling in court to charge US all more for using so much more bandwidth cause of our Netflix streaming (also things like multiplayer gaming and torrenting).

So yeah you might wish to pay $30 a month for instant movies and downloadable movies instead of physical media, but your comcast bill will make up for your savings by charging you WAAAY more than you pay now, cause they (internet providers) will most likely eventually win, and be able to either charge you for your higher than average bandwidth usage, or they will just do what some companies are doing now, which is slow your internet speed down when you use a lot of bandwidth.

Also i don't necessarily disagree with the comment that Bluray is pointless on a laptop, but i do feel 1. If im paying $2000+ for a apple laptop, i should get my moneys worth of features. Other computers for much much cheaper come with blu-ray, USB 3.0, etc (we've all read the list before of what apple doesnt have). 2. If i buy a MBP, im gonna get a 17", and with a screen that size, resolution, and hi-def, i think blu-ray would show a marked improvement over DVD.
  • Reply 120 of 120
    Yes solip you are right it's just anecdotal. I went to one BestBuy. Hey can I ask, what is your panel #? You can find out in two ways:

1. System Preferences > Displays > Color > Color LCD > Open Profile > Line 17 (under "Model")

2. Issue the following command at a terminal:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6