Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday issued a broad beta distribution of Mac OS X 10.6.4, the fourth planned maintenance and security update for its Snow Leopard operating system that has been under development internally for several weeks.

The pre-release software, labeled Mac OS X 10.6.4 build 10F37, made its way to Apple Developer Connection (ADC) members just one day after a more elite set of testers belonging to Apple's Apple Seed program got first licks at the beta.

According to people familiar with Wednesday distribution, Apple has asked developers to test four key areas of the system, including graphics drivers, Windows file sharing, USB devices and Voice Over.

Although the build released to ADC members on Wednesday is identical to the one issued to Apple Seed members on Tuesday, an emphasis on evaluating Time Machine backups noted in the Apple Seed distribution was not extended to the ADC version.

It's unclear what specific issues Mac OS X 10.6.4 will target upon its release, as Apple reportedly stopped short of including a list of enhancements with either of the aforementioned distributions.

That said, the updated could arrive sooner than later given that the Mac maker went through 36 builds internally before tapping its developer community to put its weight on the software.

Apple listed only one known issue in documentation accompanying Wednesday's build: that iChat will require a password each time it's launched.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Just fix my wireless SMB file transfer issues. I don't like it when I copy X amount of files and when done, it randomly deletes some of the files I transferred. Wired file transfers work fine.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Just fix my wireless SMB file transfer issues. I don't like it when I copy X amount of files and when done, it randomly deletes some of the files I transferred. Wired file transfers work fine.

Apple's smb implementation has always been problematic in one way or another. Try DAVE instead for reliable Windows file sharing. For the life of me I can't figure out why Apple just doesn't buy Thursby Software already and solve this problem once and for all.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday issued a broad beta distribution of Mac OS X 10.6.4,

Huh? What happened to 10.7?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Huh? What happened to 10.7?

Not released yet. Give it maybe a year.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    stansstans Posts: 2member
    I just want my Epson RX680 printer to work. It worked fine until the security update in Feb and now it won't print or scan.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    For the first time ever I had to revert to a previous upgrade (10.6.2) to prevent my iMac from freezing up. Having upgraded to 10.6.3 it started happening several times a day. There have been a thread or two regarding this on the Apple support forums. I want to go back to blindly trusting all upgrades. Second guessing and checking forums and backing up my entire hard disk before upgrading will seriously complicate my life.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Give us Trim (support)!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Apple's smb implementation has always been problematic in one way or another. Try DAVE instead for reliable Windows file sharing. For the life of me I can't figure out why Apple just doesn't buy Thursby Software already and solve this problem once and for all.

I second that motion. However, the reason Apple doesn't do that is because they really don't care very much about Enterprise. It's widely known there is one (1) engineer at Apple that works on Active Directory (we even know his name, but unlike Gizmodo I won't name names). That implies there's only one who works on SMB (might even be the same guy). It's cheaper & easier for Apple to keep employing those one/two engineers than buy Thursby.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    The problem with Apple and SMB is that the SAMBA project moved their licensing onto GPLv3. I don't think Apple can use the later releases and is stuck modifying an old version. Not sure what the answer is at this point.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Anyone have info on the latest OpenGL support?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Give us Trim (support)!

System Profiler in 10.6.3 now shows if TRIM is supported on the SSD. I have to think it'll be coming shortly.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

For the first time ever I had to revert to a previous upgrade (10.6.2) to prevent my iMac from freezing up.

Same with me. I also had to revert back to 10.6.2... and I also have never had this type of problem. Years and years and years of Macs and this is the first time I ever had to skip an upgrade to fix the problem.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    no problem here (macbook air / macpro nehalem 2009)
  • Reply 13 of 28
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Well not too happy about 10.6.3 screwing up CS3, hope they fix this in 10.6.4 sooner than later!

Adobe CS3 applications crash at launch on Mac OS 10.6.3

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83499.html
  • Reply 14 of 28
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    I'm hoping that the Time Machine fix will address the problem I'm seeing here when the mounting of a Time Capsule volume to start a backup occasionally (about once a day) appears to cause the unmounting of other network volumes. This is a really big problem because it causes all apps which have files open from those volumes to crash in a fairly nasty way.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    I thought OSX was hack proof, 100% secure already!!!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    azharazhar Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stans View Post

I just want my Epson RX680 printer to work. It worked fine until the security update in Feb and now it won't print or scan.

I had this problem too.

It's really simple to resolve it. Just go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES. Then PRINT & FAX.

There, unlock the panel so that you can modify stuffs. After that, just select your printer, and click on the minus sign on the left panel. This will delete the (Faulty)driver currently present. After that, just install back the drivers that came with your printer(Usually from the CD that came with your printer). It should work. In my case it did!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I had my iMac lock up as well coming out of sleep. The next boot seemed to take forever as I pondered the possibility of a hard drive failure.

Coming out of sleep takes about 2-3 x as long as before. I dunno what happened.

Mail also slows to a crawl sometimes when sending attachments.

While I'm bitching, what's with the USB peripherals dropping out of this universe after long periods of non-use. It's a pain to unplug and replug in the scanner.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I second that motion. However, the reason Apple doesn't do that is because they really don't care very much about Enterprise. It's widely known there is one (1) engineer at Apple that works on Active Directory (we even know his name, but unlike Gizmodo I won't name names). That implies there's only one who works on SMB (might even be the same guy). It's cheaper & easier for Apple to keep employing those one/two engineers than buy Thursby.

This worries me as we were ready to deploy a 10.6.3 image in a large enterprise (AD / OD environment) and at present you cannot change your AD password when using a mobile account in 10.6.3... It's a nasty bug which means we can't deploy upgrades right now.

It's funny as there was something similar listed in 'fixes' for this release - well the 'fix' broke it!

Usually Apple's QA is generally good on these updates - this is the first time we have had to cancel plans like that....
  • Reply 19 of 28
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    Graphics drivers, you say…
  • Reply 20 of 28
    stansstans Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azhar View Post

I had this problem too.

It's really simple to resolve it. Just go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES. Then PRINT & FAX.

There, unlock the panel so that you can modify stuffs. After that, just select your printer, and click on the minus sign on the left panel. This will delete the (Faulty)driver currently present. After that, just install back the drivers that came with your printer(Usually from the CD that came with your printer). It should work. In my case it did!

Azhar - Thanks a lot, it worked perfectly! I had tried reinstalling the driver several times but never thought about deleting the printer entirely.