Switching between 3G and Wifi on the iPad????

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I live in NYC and plan to get the 3G ipad, but I have a few questions. If you know, any help would be greatly appreciated....

1) If you go with the 250mb plan, and are in a cafe that is within access of an ATT wifi hotspot....can you surf the web UNLIMITED and without using up the 250mbs? I guess what I'm saying is, does the ATT wifi drain your 250mbs? Or is it unlimited? If it's unlimited, thats cool, because there are many ATT wireless spots in NYC.

2) I will most likely use 3G only in a pinch trading stocks on the Etrade app for the ipad, and will more often then not choose the 250mb plan. If I use the 3G ONLY to open the Etrade app and watch stocks and trade them...without doing ANY other websurfing....how long would the 250mbs last me doing that? Could I theoretically just use the etrade app Monday thru Friday 9am to 4pm on 3G and not reach my 250mb limit? How much mb would the etrade app use up do you think? Alot or alittle?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I live in NYC and plan to get the 3G ipad, but I have a few questions. If you know, any help would be greatly appreciated....

1) If you go with the 250mb plan, and are in a cafe that is within access of an ATT wifi hotspot....can you surf the web UNLIMITED and without using up the 250mbs? I guess what I'm saying is, does the ATT wifi drain your 250mbs? Or is it unlimited? If it's unlimited, thats cool, because there are many ATT wireless spots in NYC.

2) I will most likely use 3G only in a pinch trading stocks on the Etrade app for the ipad, and will more often then not choose the 250mb plan. If I use the 3G ONLY to open the Etrade app and watch stocks and trade them...without doing ANY other websurfing....how long would the 250mbs last me doing that? Could I theoretically just use the etrade app Monday thru Friday 9am to 4pm on 3G and not reach my 250mb limit? How much mb would the etrade app use up do you think? Alot or alittle?

Thanks

1) To my knowledge, ATT wifi use does not count against the plan's data, though I am not 100% sure. Best to check with ATT (sorry to say...)

2) Depends on what kinds of tools are working behind the scenes and what kind of data E-Trade actually sends back and forth. Suggestion: assuming you have an iPhone, track the data usage of the app on it for say an hour. May not be a perfect thing from which to extrapolate, but better than nothing...

Sorry can't be more help.