Apple releases iPhone OS 4 beta 3 with lock, iPod widget features

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has issued a third beta release of the upcoming iPhone OS 4 firmware reference release to registered developers, although the initial update has been temporarily suspended to fix an installation issue. It fixes bugs and debuts new iPod playback and orientation lock features.

Today's beta 3 update, specified as build 10M2247, closely follows the release of beta 2 just two weeks ago. Both last year's iPhone OS 3 and the 3.2 release for iPad went through five beta cycles before being released publicly.

iPhone 4 is expected to be release to the public in June for iPhone and iPod touch users, with an iPad version due for release in the Fall.

Shortly after being published on Apple's developer site, the new update was pulled temporarily to fix an issue believed to be related to an installation problem.

A report by Gizmodo indicate the new beta is "significantly more stable than prior beta builds" with both screen shot functionality and camera features restored (neither were working in beta 2).

The new beta makes it easier to quit apps running in the multitasking drawer by giving each icon a red quit quit button, similar to the Home screen method of uninstalling apps with a touch.

Also new is a widget controller for iPod music playback, and an orientation lock that works similar to the physical switch on iPad. However, since the iPhone's user interface is oriented toward portrait by default, with apps supporting landscape only optionally, the lock only sets orientation in portrait (the Home screen wouldn't work were it locked in landscape orientation).

iPad presents no default orientation, making the lock more important and functional in both landscape and portrait directions. However, users who try to read news in bed on the iPhone will likely appreciate the new software feature in iPhone OS 4.

The beta 3 release still does not support push messaging features for remote location, messaging, lock, or secure wipe as Apple prioritizes its beta releases to be relevant to the issues developers face in testing their apps with the new firmware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new beta makes it easier to quit apps running in the multitasking drawer by giving each icon a red quit quit button, similar to the Home screen method of uninstalling apps with a touch.

thank goodness. i don't like no broke broke.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

This is not new. This feature was available since the first beta.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I am glad they are offering background processes, but don't really see the point of having multiple apps in a task bar at the bottom, would rather it be seamless in the interface. Close an app, it saves it's state. Press the icon again, it opens.

Not really wanting to have to manage my phone.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    franktinsleyfranktinsley Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This is not new. This feature was available since the first beta.

Actually it wasn't. Before Beta 3 only the one app you pressed and held would have a minus badge while the other apps in the tray would be darkened. This made it very time consuming to kill many apps.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Actually it wasn't. Before Beta 3 only the one app you pressed and held would have a minus badge while the other apps in the tray would be darkened. This made it very time consuming to kill many apps.

You are correct. But they sounded like they were emphasizing killing apps not this new feature. Most people didn't know that you can actually kill background apps this way.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I am glad they are offering background processes, but don't really see the point of having multiple apps in a task bar at the bottom, would rather it be seamless in the interface. Close an app, it saves it's state. Press the icon again, it opens.

But that prevents you from switching back and forth quickly between apps. Now you're back to having to make sure the apps are in close proximity to each other. With folders and more and more apps this would be difficult and probably cost you time.

The system will automatically shut down the app that hasn't been used in the longest time once memory becomes constrained
  • Reply 7 of 30
    macadictmacadict Posts: 31member
    loving the new screen lock, but would really love a landscape home screen to go with it, that with the new hardware would make the new iphone just about perfect
  • Reply 8 of 30
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

But that prevents you from switching back and forth quickly between apps. Now you're back to having to make sure the apps are in close proximity to each other. With folders and more and more apps this would be difficult and probably cost you time.

The system will automatically shut down the app that hasn't been used in the longest time once memory becomes constrained

I guess that is my point. Wondering how much faster this really is, compared to the added complexity. I guess I don't like having to think about where I want the app to come from.

I assume that if I choose to ignore the task list and just start the app from the normal location, it will call up the running version.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAdict View Post

loving the new screen lock, but would really love a landscape home screen to go with it, that with the new hardware would make the new iphone just about perfect

Yah, but the icon doesn't really work for me. An icon indicating a 90° rotation would work better than a full 360° rotation.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 34member
    Those round music controls look awfully similar to the new buttons seen on the stolen 4G iPhone prototype. This practically seals any lingering doubts about the new hardware design.

Perhaps the Camera app will get rounder buttons as it gains a hard shutter button (through one of the volume control buttons).

It's the little details like these that remind me why I love Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    I like how the iPod controls are near to the bottom of the screen. This is much closer to where my thumb naturally falls (at least after double-clicking the Home button). If all of the apps you're running are on the same page, this wouldn't really help much. But if not, the multi-tasking tray would save you from jumping from page to page.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post

Those round music controls look awfully similar to the new buttons seen on the stolen 4G iPhone prototype. This practically seals any lingering doubts about the new hardware design. ...

I think you are reaching a bit here. They are both round buttons, the similarity pretty much ends there.

Personally, I don't think this new feature makes much sense. It kind of breaks the rules of the UI. If you double-click the home button to get the list of running apps and then swipe to the left to find icons that are not actually running apps but some kind of undefined widgets or controls, it completely breaks user expectations. Also, if you have the iPhone open and the iPod app is running, why not just switch to it instead of wasting this space to provide the user with controls? The only time you really need quick access to the controls is when the iPhone is closed and that's exactly what double-clicking the home button when it's closed does.

It would make more sense to swipe left to go to the spotlight page from the first page of apps, and *then* double-click the home button to get to a whole different (widgety) area as opposed to seeing the running apps.

This is a badly designed solution for problems that don't really exist IMO. Only the addition of the orientation lock makes sense, even though where they have put it makes no sense. I can't believe Apple would implement something like this that breaks the UI rules.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    franktinsleyfranktinsley Posts: 163member
    Quote:

I guess that is my point. Wondering how much faster this really is, compared to the added complexity. I guess I don't like having to think about where I want the app to come from.

I assume that if I choose to ignore the task list and just start the app from the normal location, it will call up the running version.

Right, that's how it works. With the way they're implementing multi-tasking the user doesn't have to learn anything new. They can just keep on opening and closing apps the way they always have and now they'll just resume from where they left off instead of starting all over again.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    jamesmcdjamesmcd Posts: 68member
    Very happy with this update. No camera was rather annoying. Btw, if anyone wants a free UDID slot, send me an email. I've got lots available. jamesmcd at gmail dot com.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would make more sense to swipe left to go to the spotlight page from the first page of apps, and *then* double-click the home button to get to a whole different (widgety) area as opposed to seeing the running apps.

This is a badly designed solution for problems that don't really exist IMO. Only the addition of the orientation lock makes sense, even though where they have put it makes no sense. I can't believe Apple would implement something like this that breaks the UI rules.

Well, only bringing that up from the Spotlight page would not be ideal either IMHO. I often call up the iPod controls using double-tap on the home button to e.g. skip a track while I am playing a game like chess. If I would have to leave the game, go to the Spotlight page, then double-click the home button just to do that... I would be deeply annoyed.

But I do agree that the interface is garbage. If I do cmd+tab on my Mac, I do not see iTunes controls or system settings like the rotation lock in the task switcher overlay either. It is very unusual for Apple to come up with such a cluttered solution. A task list is a task list. Other items do not belong into it. They should slide the task switcher in from the bottom (as it was in the earlier betas) and a second panel from the top (iPod controls, rotation lock, a brightness control slider and toggles for 3G, WiFi and auto-brightness). This would make sense and look better.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

You don't have to manage your phone. You can still tap on the icon on any of the regular app pages if you want. When you close an app, it does save its state (assuming that the app does that). When you press the icon again (on those pages), it opens.

If you want to use the special multitasking panel, you can, but you don't have to. The panel allows you to rapidly switch between those "open" apps more quickly because they're all there, rather than possibly scattered across your 11 app pages. You can also delete them from the bar, but again you don't have to.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    I don't understand why users can't turn off multi-tasking. It seems like it'll kill battery life, and some users won't want it. Plus, what if you want to turn it off selectively for some apps, sort of like where you turn off push notifications for certain applications?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I don't understand why users can't turn off multi-tasking. It seems like it'll kill battery life, and some users won't want it. Plus, what if you want to turn it off selectively for some apps, sort of like where you turn off push notifications for certain applications?

OMG Seriously?!?!?! Did you actually watch the OS 4 announcement or read any of he blogs about it? The whole point of Apple's implementation is that processes aren't sitting in the background killing your battery. Go watch the announcement before complaining a out how multitasking should work.

Here's a link for ya: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...fk8d5gt/event/
  • Reply 19 of 30
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, only bringing that up from the Spotlight page would not be ideal either IMHO. I often call up the iPod controls using double-tap on the home button to e.g. skip a track while I am playing a game like chess. If I would have to leave the game, go to the Spotlight page, then double-click the home button just to do that... I would be deeply annoyed.

But I do agree that the interface is garbage. If I do cmd+tab on my Mac, I do not see iTunes controls or system settings like the rotation lock in the task switcher overlay either. It is very unusual for Apple to come up with such a cluttered solution. A task list is a task list. Other items do not belong into it. They should slide the task switcher in from the bottom (as it was in the earlier betas) and a second panel from the top (iPod controls, rotation lock, a brightness control slider and toggles for 3G, WiFi and auto-brightness). This would make sense and look better.

Agreed. Especially if the iPod controls popped up where you expect them to ie. where they are on the homescreen.

One thing I'm wondering is if the folder background now looks different too. I liked the dimples, made a dashboard theme to match and everything. Can't be bothered to install OS4 again to check that, had a lot of ballache to get back to 3.x last time. Was silly, didn't find a compiled version of the macports USB lib, messing about with make, old versions for iRestore and shit not a fun time
  • Reply 20 of 30
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 34member
    Agree wholeheartedly with your idea for implementing the app switcher and music controls without all the clutter. However it'd be hard to do it exactly as you describe, because the foreground apps slide upwards when the app switching dock slides from the bottom.

The music and orientation lock seem to have been added as an afterthought and not very intuitive. My concern is 85 million people are gonna be wondering where their iPod controls went.

I hereby suggest they kill Voice Control since it uses up the home button hold press command. It can have triple press, a command which brings up Accessibility features on iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post