Apple's WWDC event sold out in just 8 days

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tickets to Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference have sold out just eight days after the company announced the date and began selling tickets last week.

The conference, held in San Francisco's Moscone West center, can only accommodate around 5,000 attendees. This year, the event's ticket prices rose from $1295 to $1599, and the dates were announced about a month later than the previous year, despite WWDC being scheduled for the same second week of June.

Apple's marketing graphics for WWDC 2010 and scheduled sessions indicate this year's conference will focus on iPhone OS 4, likely delaying any advanced preview of the next version of Mac OS X 10.7.

This year's annual Apple Design Awards will also focus exclusively on iPhone and iPad apps, without even a category for Mac entries. The event's IT track has also been discontinued to focus upon entirely software development.

In addition to releasing iPhone OS 4, Apple is expected to debut the next version of the iPhone at WWDC, with new iChat features supported by a front facing camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Was it an idiot at the New York Times that said that the WWDC would not attract as many people because of the iPhone theft/leak? Or an idiot from somewhere else?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'd really like Apple to go to a bigger venue for this next year than jacking up the price again. 5000 attendees is too quaint for the popularity of OS X development these days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Was it an idiot at the New York Times that said that the WWDC would not attract as many people because of the iPhone theft/leak? Or an idiot from somewhere else?

An idiot, that is certain. One could argue that anyone who pays $1,600 just to see the next iPhone announced on stage is an idiot, but there are certainly reasons for people to do just that.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I guess concerns that developers would flee the iPhone OS walled garden in droves, because they can't submit Flash-generated shovelware apps, was exaggerated. Maybe Apple is creating an artificial shortage of WWDC tickets, in order to raise prices and make it appear popular.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Wow. That's great! Yet another RELIABLE indicator of Apple's real prosperity, which should far outshine in people's minds all the noise, gossip, FUD, whining, and BS from the press and all the shills posting on these threads.

I'm definitely going next year and will buy my tickets early.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple seriously needs to expand WWDC. The Mac and IT tracks should not have been excluded. I understand that Apple is short on developer resources to develop their products and attend these session as representatives of Apple but with over $40 billion in cash and cool products I'm sure they can hire a bunch more developers etc. I've heard James Gosling and many other Sun employees are looking for a new home as many of them don't like the Oracle culture. Apple should open their arms to them. James would be a huge win to come work at Apple - make him an SVP and if need be create a division around him.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I guess concerns that developers would flee the iPhone OS walled garden in droves, because they can't submit Flash-generated shovelware apps, was exaggerated. Maybe Apple is creating an artificial shortage of WWDC tickets, in order to raise prices and make it appear popular.

Priceless.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    yeah... well...

Jimmy Buffett sells out a couple dozen concerts every year... in a matter of hours.

Steve's got some "catchin' up" to do!
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

yeah... well...

Jimmy Buffett sells out a couple dozen concerts every year... in a matter of hours.

Steve's got some "catchin' up" to do!

I know you're joking but let's quantify this. How big are Buffett's venues and how much are the tickets? Both relevant to the speed in which an event could sell out.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Well, color me surprised. Perhaps a few early posters to this thread would deem me an "idiot" but I and everyone else who does Mac IT support found ourselves with little interest in WWDC this year due to the complete dedication to iPhone/iPad. So, to me, 8 days certainly is a fast sellout.

Also, I suppose the economy really isn't as bad as the mainsteram media makes it out to be if Apple can sell out such a conference so fast.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    If tickets are for sale how will they keep the Gizmodo people out?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can't wait. We may know what the iPhone will look like, but there is just so much more I want to know and see about the iPhone OS4 and possible OS 10.7 Is gonna be awesome. (am not going but still very exited)
  • Reply 12 of 40
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Can't wait. We may know what the iPhone will look like, but there is just so much more I want to know and see about the iPhone OS4 and possible OS 10.7 Is gonna be awesome. (am not going but still very exited)

Don't hold your breath on Mac OS 10.7 making in light of day at WWDC this year.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

I'm hoping for other iPhone OS/ARM-based products being announced. Like a new AppleTV or an Apple Home Server.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Apple seriously needs to expand WWDC. The Mac and IT tracks should not have been excluded. I understand that Apple is short on developer resources to develop their products and attend these session as representatives of Apple but with over $40 billion in cash and cool products I'm sure they can hire a bunch more developers etc. I've heard James Gosling and many other Sun employees are looking for a new home as many of them don't like the Oracle culture. Apple should open their arms to them. James would be a huge win to come work at Apple - make him an SVP and if need be create a division around him.

I'm guessing that with no new info on 10.7 any Mac IT and 10.6 tracks would be redundant and Apple would probably suggest that developers just watch the videos from last year. I'm ok with WWDC 2010 being about iPhone OS 4.0. 10.7 has got to be really good for people to cough up 129 bucks. If Snow Leopard was the "cleaning" of the OS to form the base for the next decade of Mac OS X evolution then 10.7 must be a statement that Apple's not kidding around.

Quote:

I'm pretty pumped about getting a new big OS for my 3Gs. iPhone OS 4 deals with so many of the issues that I've noticed. It's really going to make getting things done so much easier because of the better management. I'll be upgrading right away and I can't wait for 4.0 supporting apps.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm guessing that with no new info on 10.7 any Mac IT and 10.6 tracks would be redundant and Apple would probably suggest that developers just watch the videos from last year.

That's a very astute statement, but I think many will unfortunately see it as Apple not caring about Mac development.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's a very astute statement, but I think many will unfortunately see it as Apple not caring about Mac development.

Here's a question I can't seem to find the answer to on developer.apple.com. I remember the WWDC videos being for sale (and quite spendy). When I look at the developer site now they mention the videos but no pricing. Are the WWDC videos now free?

At $99 I'm going to sign up for Mac Dev next year. I can't wait to fart around when the 10.7 betas start flowing.

I'm wondering if Apple shouldn't start thinking about splitting WWDC up into iPhone/iPad/Apple TV and a Mac focused session.

I think the reason why they don't want to do this is that Apple engineers don't get anything done for a week or more in preparation for WWDC and with two major conferences that doubles the trouble so to speak.

The benefits would be tremendous though with the detail and specificity that developers would get.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Here's a question I can't seem to find the answer to on developer.apple.com. I remember the WWDC videos being for sale (and quite spendy). When I look at the developer site now they mention the videos but no pricing. Are the WWDC videos now free?

These videos?
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

These videos?

Yeah...they are FREE now?
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Yeah...they are FREE now?

Yep. Also, you don't need to be a paid iPhone dev but you need to have a developer account.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Absolutely!