Mobile Site issues.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not one forum moderator has voted. They either like the floating header/footers or this poll is more controversial than I thought.

I personally don't really use the mobile site and while I think the floating items would be better static, I can see why they are there and do make navigation quicker on long articles so I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. Maybe if the navigation buttons were condensed into a single bar at the top and it never disappeared, that might make it easier. I'm not sure who develops the mobile site so I don't know who you could ask about it.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I personally don't really use the mobile site and while I think the floating items would be better static, I can see why they are there and do make navigation quicker on long articles so I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. Maybe if the navigation buttons were condensed into a single bar at the top and it never disappeared, that might make it easier. I'm not sure who develops the mobile site so I don't know who you could ask about it.

While having it on there at all when tapping the Menu Bar takes you immediately to the top and screen real estate is important, the real issue seems to be from the way it works. If they made the header and foot static to the page and the body of the page scroll between it then it wouldn't be as much of an issue. However, they disappears when you touch the screen and only appear when you let go with the text directly behind it which means you have to estimate where they start and stop to get the text you haven't read at the top of the readable body when you let ago and they reappear.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm not sure who develops the mobile site so I don't know who you could ask about it.

I heard AI subcontracted the development of the mobile site to MS!

That said, they way it is right now is good exercise for the fingers, isometric exercise, by having a finger stay fixed on the phone to prevent those dreadful bars from popping up.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    The bars are annoying. But so is having to tap the title bar to move to the top to refresh any webpage. Is there any other way to do that in iPhone safari? Like a shake to refresh type feature?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Voted to Agree, even though I haven't seen it.

If enough people like both versions, then there should a option in the app preferences for either.

I only wish anti/glare prone screens could be as easy.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Thank you for making the mobile site more usable. As my only WebClip icon on my iPhone it's very much appreciated.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

Thank you for making the mobile site more usable. As my only WebClip icon on my iPhone it's very much appreciated.

Wow! They modified the iPhone version of AppleInsider.com! Solipsism, U R the MAN!

Thanks 4 starting this poll Solipsism. And thanQ 2 Apple Insider!

Cheers,

PhilBoogie
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow! They modified the iPhone version of AppleInsider.com! Solipsism, U R the MAN!

Thanks 4 starting this poll Solipsism. And thanQ 2 Apple Insider!

Cheers,

PhilBoogie

I appreciate that but there is no evidence that this poll was the catalyst for the change. They may have been in the process of changing it prior to this poll, but at the very least it didn't hurt to start it.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    I asked about creating an iPhone-friendly forum format last year but it fell on deaf ears.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    FYI to site admins.

The mobile site is incorrectly parsing the link to the forums.

It shows: iphone" target="_blank">http://iphone.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=xxxxxxx

When it should show: forums" target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=xxxxxx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I asked about creating an iPhone-friendly forum format last year but it fell on deaf ears.

I don't think it fell on deaf ears, I think it's just a must larger undertaking to perform. They use vBulletin for the forums and I don't think they yet offer a mobile site optimized page.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

I don't think it fell on deaf ears, I think it's just a must larger undertaking to perform. They use vBulletin for the forums and I don't think they yet offer a mobile site optimized page.

All they'd have to do is enable the builtin themes feature that vBulletin has then find one of the iPhone-friendly themes that already exist.