New international Apple iPad preorders now ship by June 7

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple this week updated its online stores across the globe to reflect a new estimated shipping date of June 7 for those who did not initially preorder an iPad overseas.

The update suggests that Apple has completely sold out of its initial launch run of iPads in both the Wi-Fi and 3G model. Both are scheduled to launch on May 28, and those who were among the first to secure preorders should see the device on launch date.

The change came quickly, as Apple only began accepting preorders from the nine international launch countries this week. Updates to Apple's online stores in the U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Switzerland, Spain and Italy on Tuesday now all reflect a new ship date of June 7 for the latest preorders. That's all nine countries where the iPad will launch on May 28.

The international launch of the iPad was originally scheduled for late April, but Apple delayed it by a month due to stronger than expected demand of the device in the U.S.

Late preorders in the U.S. also had a short wait, as those who ordered toward the end of March didn't receive the hardware until April 12. The iPad formally launched in the U.S. on April 3, and Apple sold more than 300,000 on the first day.

Nearly a month later, Apple launched the iPad 3G in the U.S., and the first day of availability was enough to push total hardware sales over a million. Since the launch of the iPad 3G just a few weeks ago, Apple's retail stores have struggled to keep the item in stock, with many remaining sold out.

In the face of short supply, Apple has staggered the international launch of the iPad, beginning with the nine countries on May 28. Nine more countries -- Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore -- will enter the fray in July. Apple has said that dates for nine additional countries will be announced at a later date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    HELLO - I think you dingalings forgot Australia?

OR - maybe not

when can we buy one, PLEASE?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Mmm... the US Store is now 7-10 business days on all models... up from 5-7 bds.

I guess the coming VerGooglePad is eating up all the critical parts and mfg facilities.

• Reply 3 of 34
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

HELLO - I think you dingalings forgot Australia?

OR - maybe not

when can we buy one, PLEASE?

Who can forget Australia?

• Reply 4 of 34
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    10 million iPads sold in calendar year 2010 is looking about right.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What's an Australia?

(Just kidding, just kidding...... )
  • Reply 6 of 34
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's an Australia?

(Just kidding, just kidding...... )

It's a typo. He means Austria, which is a small country in Europe
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Maybe by the time it shows up at my door they'll have the WiFi issues fixed...
  • Reply 8 of 34
    leithalleithal Posts: 64member
    I am glad I got my order for a 32GB WiFi model in yesterday afternoon, so I have a confirmation of May 28th delivery in Canada. Also glad I work from home on Friday's so I can work and get my iPad too.

I suspect we will see a 2 million sold announcement soon - and hear that Apple's suppliers are building new factories. They must be working 24*7 on new iPhones, iPad's and those new MacBook Airs that are rumoured to land soon.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Save me some strudel.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

10 million doesn't seem realistic, no matter how you slice it. But 4-5 million sold in 2010, yes.

And that would be a bloody fantastic result for a new category product like the iPad!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    The USA is still having supply issues. [The Boylston Apple Store in Boston was also sold out.] Now, just a few days after, the estimated orders abroad (for the countries) also exceeded Apple's estimate.

If I have to guess, apart from factory ramping, the large screen may be the other bottleneck. They already sought a second supplier..

Three million for the quarter may even be conservative now - 3-6M maybe? It is behaving more towards the iPod sales than those of the iPhone or Mac computer sales.

CGC
  • Reply 12 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Popular item. I wonder why people like this so much when tablet laptops have been overall rejected. I think it's because people like to be loved/understood by something beautiful, and it is beautiful and it has an intuitive GUI that makes you feel understood. Oh, and also the App Store isn't bad
  • Reply 13 of 34
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Mmm... the US Store is now 7-10 business days on all models... up from 5-7 bds.

I guess the coming VerGooglePad is eating up all the critical parts and mfg facilities.

I hope the VGP is as successful as the Nexus One.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    I want an iPad, but the combined price of an iPad and likely an unsubsidized iPhone may be too much. I guess this gives me more time to think about it.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

That was my high prediction too but even that may\\ be conservative. Consider the back to school and then the Christmas holiday surge.

Last night at past 800pm, there was a group of older guys (still in business suit) examining the iPad, together. Then one of them stated. "It's settled then." I left the store at around 845pm. They were talking downstairs, near the entrance to the guy I was referred to who dealt as the business liaison for the Boylston branch. Companies must be picking interest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pridon View Post

I hope the VGP is as successful as the Nexus One.

Competition is good. I hope they do a good job much better than the attempt with Nexus One -- shunned by Verizon and it seems even Sprint is having a second thought or at least reconsidering. These companies have a competition though with HP-Palm and others.

I hope one or two of them could develop strong alternatives to the iPad. This will keep Apple on its toes to accelerate their innovation, and perhaps even lower the price. Everyone benefits -- even those who would buy the alternatives to the iPad.

The beauty here is that everyone else are still on planning or early stages leaving the territory to Apple for many months.

In the long run, prejudices aside, it will the Apps and ease of purchase that will be critical deciding factors for the buyers. Again, this is where Apple has a headstart and a growing ecosystem, together with the iPhone and iPad Touch.

CGC
  • Reply 16 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

The USA is still having supply issues. [The Boylston Apple Store in Bostom was also sold out.] Now, just a few days after, the estimated orders abroad (for the countries) also exceeded Apple's estimate.

If I have to guess, apart from factory ramping, the large screen may be the other bottleneck. They already sought a second supplier..

Three million for the quarter may even be conservative now - 3-6M maybe? It is behaving more towards the iPod sales than those of the iPhone or Mac computer sales.

CGC

Apple is Doomed.

It looks like demand is immense. Apple's shipments (at least for the next few months) are going to be limited by how many they can produce, not the number of available customers. Fortunately, Apple's pretty good at ramping up production.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Damn my indecision!

is 64 gb overkill! I must decide before shipping gets pushed back until Christmas
  • Reply 18 of 34
    senjazsenjaz Posts: 26member
    Pre-ordering became available in the UK sometime close to midnight on 10th May, 2010. We ordered ours at 2 am :-)

Hoping we get one by the original launch date.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple is Doomed.

It looks like demand is immense. Apple's shipments (at least for the next few months) are going to be limited by how many they can produce, not the number of available customers. Fortunately, Apple's pretty good at ramping up production.

Indeed, and the potential worldwide would more than likely dwarf the potential in the US market. Unlike the total cost of owning the iPhone, the iPad Wifi would be more affordable, and the iPad 3G may look attractive with its unlocked feature.

The use of VOIP and other internet telephony is also more widespread in other parts of the world. The iPad Wifi may be another way to expand the use of VOIP and other internet telephony.

In China for example, China Unicom is doing well, and is trying harder to improve its phone business, and attract a greater percentage of the more well-off Chinese by enticing them with better subsidies of the iPhone:

China Unicom ups iPhone subsidies to boost sales

China Unicom would be a reliable partner of Apple in its bid to increase its presence in China not only for the iPhone but more than likely the iPad. Just like the iPhone before it reached China, there is a brisk market also for imported iPads.

China Mobile, the largest phone company in China may have learned its lesson in its prior attempt to impose too many restriction to Apple before it will consider the iPhone. [This is not too different from Verizon's deal with Apple for the iPhone when iPhone was still just a concept product.]

China Mobile has renewed talks with Apple to bring a revised CDMA iPhone in China because it finally realized it is losing the elite Chinese following the success of the smaller China Unicom in attracting customers. Now China Mobile is not only interested to have the iPhone but also interested in the iPad:

China Mobile interested in bringing Apple iPad to China

If a deal is made with China Mobile, this development is significant in a number of ways:
    1. The vast potential market that China Mobile provides Apple products.

2. The manufacture of another type of iPhone, in this case, a revised CDMA

3. This may also mean that Apple is not aversed to manufacture iPhone that will cater to the specific needs of companies like Verizon. In fact, while the total base of China Mobile, more than likely there would be more likely that will be more Verizon customers who could switch to the iPhone, based on recent surveys.

My only hope is that such fragmentation of the types of iPhone, iPad will not have any impact on the iPhone OS and more important that it will not lead into fragmentation of the Apps component of the ecosystem. I do not know the technical aspect but my feeling is that there would be some needed changes, just like how an iTunes was created specifically to be more compatible with Wintel PCs.

CGC
  • Reply 20 of 34
    igrumbleigrumble Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week updated its online stores across the globe to reflect a new estimated shipping date of June 7 for those who did not initially preorder an iPad overseas.

I am so, so glad I pre-ordered on Monday, my order is still scheduled for the 28th

Quote:

Late preorders in the U.S. also had a short wait, as those who ordered toward the end of March didn't receive the hardware until April 12. The iPad formally launched in the U.S. on April 3, and Apple sold more than 300,000 on the first day.

And that was a few weeks after they started accepting pre-orders, right? Seems like Apple severely underestimated European demand, to have to push back the ship date after a mere two days (I mean, who would pre-order two weeks in advance, knowing that they're going to get it a week or so AFTER launch?). My guess is that the Germans love it, as they have immense buying power and not quite as much national debt as some of us. I'd cautiously suggest there may be 2-3 million iPads sold outside the US within a month of the 28th May launch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

That [10 million in 2010] was my high prediction too but even that may be conservative. Consider the back to school and then the Christmas holiday surge.

I'd expect a fair surge in August-September for the BTS season, but I don't know, buyers might be inclined to get something more "serious" and traditional and so tend to go more for netbooks. Xmas (November-December) is I think going to be a very strong time for sales, since it's an obvious desirable product and the kind of thing that family members can buy for others but use themselves I expect that the various respective launches will be very comparable to the xmas rush, since it's likely to still be constrained by supply at that time. Good for Apple: it seems that the iPad metaphorically prints money.

Quote:

I hope one or two of them could develop strong alternatives to the iPad. This will keep Apple on its toes to accelerate their innovation, and perhaps even lower the price. Everyone benefits -- even those who would buy the alternatives to the iPad.

I totally agree. Competition gets similar products into more hands and stimulates the market in the right places to move existing product lines closer to buyers' ideals. With the iPhone, I know it took a while to get convincing competition, but with current Android phones being really good at what they do, smartphones are far ahead (in price and features) of what you could have expected a few years ago.