buy macbook pro now or wait a little while for updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have considering getting an i7 15 inch macbook pro 2010 model with the 500 gb hard drive. But I have been reading extensive threads online & in the apple forums about random freeze ups of the computer. I have thought about a rule of thumb when new technology comes out, to wait about 6 months for the bugs to be worked out. Should I hold off for now? until apple fixes this problem? I would certainly not be happy if I spend 2,000 + dollars on a machine that freezes up randomly on me, & at this price, I cannot really afford to take a gamble that my computer will have these problems. It seems to be prevalent like a 50/50 chance mine may suffer from the freeze up bug.

If I want slow downs, freezes, or an occasional crash, I have a PC that can do this for me now for free.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    The MBP has just been updated. If you now wait for 6 months, you will only have to wait again, because most likely, in 6 months a new generation will just have been released. I've been using my i7 MBP for several weeks now and never had a single lockup (outside of windows, that is). Be aware that negative voices are always louder on the net than the positive feedback, because if it's working as expected, why would you write/complain about it.

If you need a new computer now, go and buy it. If you think you can wait 6 months, you probably don't need a new computer in the first place. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sossitysossity Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

The MBP has just been updated. If you now wait for 6 months, you will only have to wait again, because most likely, in 6 months a new generation will just have been released. I've been using my i7 MBP for several weeks now and never had a single lockup (outside of windows, that is). Be aware that negative voices are always louder on the net than the positive feedback, because if it's working as expected, why would you write/complain about it.

If you need a new computer now, go and buy it. If you think you can wait 6 months, you probably don't need a new computer in the first place. My 2 cents.

Yes, that is true, I dont want to get caught up in an endless waiting 6 month cycle, I may wait until the end of may, as I have read apple may be running back to school promotions. Oh I am not sure what country you are in, but do you by any chance know when apple America will be running their back to school promotions?

do you have a link to those mac book pro updates to read for myself? not that I dont believe you, I do, I would just like to know so I can make a well informed decision.

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    The new MacBook Pros specs can be found here: www.apple.com/macbookpro. There are also endless threads in this very forum about it. Basically, what has changed depends a lot on whether you're talking 13" or 15-17". New graphics chip for everyone, new processor type for the larger MBPs, and automatic switching between the integrated and dedicated GPU for the later. Some ok SSD options, too. All in all, an excellent product, both the small and the big models, imho. There are also many reviews online already. Check the newslogs on www.xlr8yourmac.com for various review links or check out www.barefeats.com for some benchmarks.

I'm in Switzerland, so I can't help you with the back to school promotions really, but it's very plausible that there will be some promotion of some sort at some point Vague, isn't it

Hope that helps, cheers.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Maybe wait a few weeks maybe 10.6.4 will fix the hard freezing.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    I bought a 15" i7 macbook pro a few weeks ago. I had been waiting for this last refresh cycle and pulled the trigger shortly after the new hardware was released. Prior to this, I was using a thinkpad with Vista.

I haven't had any issues with the machine freezing or lagging. It has been rock solid. I installed steam on it last week. I have been playing portal a ton and it has hung on me once or twice. Valve has released an update recently that seems to have solved that.

If you are on Windoze now, I would just go for it.

I am really enjoying the hardware and Mac OS X.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sossity View Post

I have considering getting an i7 15 inch macbook pro 2010 model with the 500 gb hard drive. But I have been reading extensive threads online & in the apple forums about random freeze ups of the computer. I have thought about a rule of thumb when new technology comes out, to wait about 6 months for the bugs to be worked out. Should I hold off for now? until apple fixes this problem? I would certainly not be happy if I spend 2,000 + dollars on a machine that freezes up randomly on me, & at this price, I cannot really afford to take a gamble that my computer will have these problems. It seems to be prevalent like a 50/50 chance mine may suffer from the freeze up bug.

If I want slow downs, freezes, or an occasional crash, I have a PC that can do this for me now for free.

Wait until the issues are solved, or you will be kicking yourself in the teeth. Unless you have a spare Mac to use if your new MacBook Pro is being repaired/reinstalled...

I know it's tough, my MacBook Aluminium 2ghz has a few kinks in it but I can't afford to not have it for more than 24 hours.