Interview With Adobe Co-Founder Chuck Geschke

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
JP: Cross-platform mobile apps tend not to take advantage of native features unique to each device. What do you have to say about complaints that write-once-run-anywhere software results in subpar apps?

CG: Well, people don’t say that about Photoshop. They certainly don’t say it about Acrobat…. I’m a little confused about what the real examples of that are.

In this statement is clearly where Adobe does not get it. People do complain about Photoshop not being able to take advantage of API's built into OS X. Photoshop being behind the OS X development curve. It would be the same with iPhone apps compiled from Flash.

Digital Daily by John Paczkowski

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In this statement is clearly where Adobe does not get it. People do complain about Photoshop not being able to take advantage of API's built into OS X. Photoshop being behind the OS X development curve. It would be the same with iPhone apps compiled from Flash.

Sure but it would require more development effort. If you had to do this sort of thing for Android, WebOS, Blackberry, iPhone OS etc it means that the burden on small development teams is heavier. Having a write once run anywhere model has huge advantages.

I can see the advantages from not using the translation layers but there's no evidence to suggest that all apps would be adversely affected by it. On the subject of Photoshop, I think having all versions match in terms of features is more important than say getting some Mac OS specific feature like Core Image filters.

I think ultimately, it was probably best for the Flash translator to be blocked because it would have allowed very rapid application development and the likelihood is that many of those apps would have been sub-standard.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Sure but it would require more development effort. If you had to do this sort of thing for Android, WebOS, Blackberry, iPhone OS etc it means that the burden on small development teams is heavier. Having a write once run anywhere model has huge advantages.

I am not denying that being able to easily move code across platforms has its advantages. It also has some serious disadvantages for the OS manufacturer and for the consumer.

Quote:

I can see the advantages from not using the translation layers but there's no evidence to suggest that all apps would be adversely affected by it. On the subject of Photoshop, I think having all versions match in terms of features is more important than say getting some Mac OS specific feature like Core Image filters.

Advantages for Adobe. Not always an advantage for everyone else. That the reason why other photo manipulation applications such as Pixelmator have grown an avid following.