Remove hard drive from MacBook, install on MacBook pro?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 2006 MacBook (OSX 10.6.3) with a new 500GB hard drive, and will be purchasing a new MacBook Pro while traveling. I suspect someone will tell me this a horrible idea (which is why I'm asking) - but can I remove the hard drive from the MacBook and replace the stock drive on the new MacBook Pro? How is this different from cloning the drive? The only reason I can think why this wouldn't work is if certain OS files are not hardware independent (different screen resolution, keyboard, trackpad, video output), but cloning should provoke the same types of problems.

To put it another way: in a pinch if I had to do this procedure, what would be the potential consequences to my new machine or my existing data (which will be backed up before this surgery)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Well first off you really don't want to open up your new MacBook Pro and violate the warranty and AppleCare anyway. So that option is out. Get a decent sized hard drive from the get go.

Far as cloning you should clone to a external drive and hold option boot the new MBP from the MB clone and see if everything works first before cloning over the installed OS X version.

Far as I know Apple keeps the recent OS X version current with all machines they make and back to all intel based machines. A problem might be if you tried using Leopard or Tiger on a newer machine, as those older OS versions might not have the drivers for the newer machines hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hellasketchy View Post

can I remove the hard drive from the MacBook and replace the stock drive on the new MacBook Pro? How is this different from cloning the drive?

Cloning typically doesn't take caches with it. The drive exchange should be fine and drive replacement doesn't void your warranty unless you break something when you do it.

You can check if it will boot ok by using a firewire cable from one machine to the other. Boot one into target mode holding t at startup. Plug in the firewire cable (you may need a FW400 - 800 cable) and then boot the new machine holding alt.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks guys -I'm going to try it, it will save me from having to travel with 2 computers. SpotOn: it is very easy to change drives on the MacBook though it requires the right tools (Torx screwdriver, etc). More screws on the MacBook Pro but seems doable, from the research I've done.

this article goes though it: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2119529,00.asp
  • Reply 4 of 4
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hellasketchy View Post

Thanks guys -I'm going to try it, it will save me from having to travel with 2 computers. SpotOn: it is very easy to change drives on the MacBook though it requires the right tools (Torx screwdriver, etc). More screws on the MacBook Pro but seems doable, from the research I've done.

this article goes though it: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2119529,00.asp

Make sure the tools have magnetic heads, keep the screws in order as its possible the threads or length could be different and use a sheet to catch and see any dropped screws. They will disappear on you fast.

Also tweezers could come in handy and a pair of reading glasses if your going blind like me in my old age.

Good luck.