Apple releases updated $999 MacBook with GeForce 320M graphics

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday quietly updated its low-end MacBook, giving the entry-level hardware a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics, and a reported 10 hours of battery life.

The new hardware packs many of the same features as the MacBook redesign released in 2009, including an LED-backlit display, polycarbonate unibody enclosure, and a built-in battery. The hardware also comes standard with 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 RAM, a 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive, 1280x800 pixel widescreen display, and an 8x double-layer SuperDrive.

The new MacBook, with its updated processor and mobile graphics, is said to achieve up to 10 hours of uptime with its built-in battery. It also gets the improved, streamlined MagSafe connector found in the latest MacBook Pro models, which points the adapter cord backward rather than perpendicular from the body. The $999 hardware is available immediately.

The new MacBook was leaked over the weekend by a Vietnamese website that got their hands on the final model, including packaging. It was obtained by the same site that also received a prototype of Apple's next-generation iPhone.

Apple last updated its entry level MacBook line in October of 2009, giving the $999 machine a polycarbonate unibody design, LED-backlit display, multi-touch trackpad, and built-in battery with 7 hours of run time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday quietly updated its low-end MacBook..

So it's true!
  • Reply 2 of 117
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    This probably accounts for the rumour from Australia of last Monday that was believed to indicate a new MacBook Air.
  • Reply 2 of 117
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Hey, an update is always good news. Looks OK to me. I'm wondering how long they will keep those NVidia chips around with the Core2Duo. I guess Intel is still not licensing the chipsets for other manufacturers, so they will end up having to either integrate a discrete graphics card or switch to AMD. (I don't know if they have decent integrated graphic chips)

I just hope the iMacs will follow soon.
  • Reply 4 of 117
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Looks like Apple-related rumor-mongering has now been driven out of the US. (In these days of global supply chains, good luck, Apple!).
  • Reply 5 of 117
    Gone up from £816 to £840 in the UK
  • Reply 6 of 117
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

Gone up from £816 to £840 in the UK

Frankly if you're an Apple fan in the UK you are a masochist. Apple's comedy UK pricing is little better than swapping the $ sign for a £ sign.
  • Reply 7 of 117
    It's decent with education discount and an iPod touch though
  • Reply 8 of 117
    Last year's model included the new adapter.
  • Reply 9 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Frankly if you're an Apple fan in the UK you are a masochist. Apple's comedy UK pricing is little better than swapping the $ sign for a £ sign.

What's VAT there currently? If it's 15% then the prices look to be about £100 higher than they should be, (assuming that the published price includes VAT).
  • Reply 10 of 117
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    I was really hoping for a new mac mini with that spec as well...
  • Reply 11 of 117
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Great deal. Unfortunately way too close to the 13 MBPs.
  • Reply 12 of 117
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

I was really hoping for a new mac mini with that spec as well...

I think that only gets updated once people completely write it of and only so jobs can mess with everyone.
  • Reply 13 of 117
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

What's VAT there currently? If it's 15% then the prices look to be about £100 higher than they should be, (assuming that the published price includes VAT).

It's 17.5% and, yes, UK prices always include VAT.

By my (probably wrong) calculations, the UK MacBook is $1,000.78 before tax.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member
    Quote:

UK VAT is currently 17.5%. Making the apparent difference lower than perceived. All UK pricing is quoted including VAT. Business customers an claim the VAT back of course.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    It's still Tuesday. Maybe they can quietly update the Mac Pro today. Been a little while since the last one.
  • Reply 16 of 117
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Someone said the MiniDisplayPort on the new Macbook support both video AND audio but I can't find any info on it. If it's true I hope there will be a firmware update for us iMac users..
  • Reply 17 of 117
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

There you go, spouting your regular anti-Aple nonsense again. Two concepts for you: VAT; exchange rate.

Do the calculation, and report it here. Otherwise, retract your post.

PS: Noticed that a couple of posts above made the same point. But I'll leave mine on, nonetheless.
  • Reply 18 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

UK VAT is currently 17.5%. Making the apparent difference lower than perceived. All UK pricing is quoted including VAT. Business customers an claim the VAT back of course.

Thanks. So, a premium of about 30 pounds then - not so bad. RichL - thanks too.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    talcontalcon Posts: 1member
    Does anyone know if Apple is using the same exact CPU from the MBP 13" for the White MacBook?
  • Reply 20 of 117
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Thanks. So, a premium of about 30 pounds then - not so bad. RichL - thanks too.

Yep, not bad really.

£840 minus the VAT = £714

Converted to dollars £714 = $1030.

So a $30 (£20) premium only.

Cost of doing business is probably higher in the UK as well (salaries for store employees, etc).