New MBP battery lasts aprox 2 hours... normal??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a two or so week old 15 inch MBP. The battery is advertised to last what, 9-10 hours?

So I took the fully charged computer to a 3 hour long final exam. I thought that of course it would last, that is 1/3 of the time it is supposed to last! But no, it died after 2 1/2 hours.

All I had open was 1 word document and nothing else. Wi fi was turned on. Screen brightness approx 70-80%. This could really have screwed me.... I needed a computer for the entire 3 hours.

I did a test today with brightness up and browsing internet and listening to music - lasted barely over 2 hours.

Is this normal? Is the claim of 9-10 hours simply bogus and in reality it lasts between 2 and 3?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    It would only be normal if it were a Dell. Take it back.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brassguy View Post

I have a two or so week old 15 inch MBP. The battery is advertised to last what, 9-10 hours?

So I took the fully charged computer to a 3 hour long final exam. I thought that of course it would last, that is 1/3 of the time it is supposed to last! But no, it died after 2 1/2 hours.

All I had open was 1 word document and nothing else. Wi fi was turned on. Screen brightness approx 70-80%. This could really have screwed me.... I needed a computer for the entire 3 hours.

I did a test today with brightness up and browsing internet and listening to music - lasted barely over 2 hours.

Is this normal? Is the claim of 9-10 hours simply bogus and in reality it lasts between 2 and 3?

No, it's not normal. My early 2009 17" MBP runs for 6 hours plus on a full charge (iTunes running, WiFi on, no surfing, simple word-processing). Running a full-screen video it lasts 3 hours plus.

So if I were you, I'd take that 15MBP back to Apple to complain.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

It would only be normal if it were a Dell. Take it back.

This sort of comment does not belong in the Genius Bar.