Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 431
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

Apple simply can't monopolize the entire market with their couple iPhone models.

They very possibly have never even had that ambition.
  • Reply 22 of 431
    jabay79jabay79 Posts: 4member
    I love how right after he says this, he walks past his open MacBook Pro. Also, the trains didn't run on time in Italy even under Mussolini, it was just propaganda that the fascist used to make the people think that he was making their lives better...smoke and mirrors. (Sorry, History Major)
  • Reply 23 of 431
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    When I play Starcraft, I play as Protoss, they're advanced technology and story line remind me most of Apple's position in the tech industry. Google is Terran and MS are the Zerg, or is it the other way around, I'm still trying to convince myself...

All three races can defeat the other and in each campaign they end up winning, so it all depends on you the player, to pick your favorite ending to the plot. That is what is all about!

ahh Happy Friday people...
  • Reply 24 of 431
    msfmsf Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I was about to mention that very same thing, all this Android talk is making windows technology all the more irrelevant. I like that

Don't count them out just yet.
  • Reply 25 of 431
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

They very possibly have never even had that ambition.

I believe so. Apple's not in this to be the biggest player, they're in this to make a ton of profit and make devices they like to use. They're not going anywhere, and iPhones will continue to be iPhones and loved by many, but people who think iPhones will be the dominant smartphone OS are probably delusional.

Of course, iPhone will be far, far more profitable than Android is. Depends what your intentions are. Profit vs openness.
  • Reply 26 of 431
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

Lol. So just Bing it.

But don't bother deleting your Google cookies, you'll be back in no time.

Why? I stopped using Google about a year ago and am happy with Bing.

I've also tried scroogle with somewhat less success.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So I guess this is why Google is trying to get into every facet of our lives.

That's the funny part. Apple sells a product system that works together. If you don't like Apple products, you don't buy them.

Google, OTOH effectively controls all your data on the Internet and all your personal information. There's absolutely no way to stay out of their sights (unless you're a hermit living in the hills of South Dakota). Who's Big Brother, again?
  • Reply 27 of 431
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Like Google, I believe in choice too. And I chose an iPhone. An iPhone over Android's beta-ware.

I don't think my choice has limited my freedoms in any way. I think Google are focussing on the mechanics of ow something is delivered; not the outcomes. I've not yet found that I can't do anything on my iPhone that I want to. I don't care whether Steve Jobs has to personally sign off every app in the app store. At the end of the day, I get the apps I want.
  • Reply 28 of 431
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    So he wants us to choose a lying, sneaky sister?

Not me, brother.
  • Reply 29 of 431
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Apple is indeed the Big Brother of this generation. I have no problems saying that. ...

Have you even read Orwell's 1984? I would have to guess not from your comments.

If there is any company today that can be rightfully compared to Big Brother, to the surveillance society in 1984, that company is absolutely Google. You could even compare Google's apps and services to the soma of Huxley's Brave New World, pleasing, innocuous things (to many, at least) that, to take from the Wikipedia article, "[provide] an easy escape from the hassles of daily life and is employed by [Google] as a method of control through pleasure.."

But there is absolutely nothing about Apple's behavior that makes them Big Brother. You can complain that Apple is overly restrictive in the App Store, that their products should be more open (although, they are at least as open as Google's products), or perhaps a number of other things, but Google is the only Big Brother in this picture.
  • Reply 30 of 431
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Google is obviously envious and/or running scared.

Scared enough that they just unveiled a whole host of well thought out, new features for Android 2.2 and previewed for 2.3 that Apple has, for whatever reason, decided against doing at the current time. And from the demos, it looks like Google's implemintations aren't half-assed at all.

I'll leave you to watch the keynote for yourself to see these features and the demos. A lot of them were so simple in implementation that I was surprised Apple hadn't done them already.

And Asherian also said it well too.
  • Reply 31 of 431
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

their products should be more open (although, they are at least as open as Google's products).

So anyone can put OS X on their computers or sell a phone with iPhone OS?

So I can sync my iPhone trivially with other media software?
  • Reply 32 of 431
    Quote:

... Android is on a meteoric growth curve right now, growing far faster than iPhone is.

It's easy to be on a "meteoric growth curve" when you are growing from nothing, but, the more you grow, the more difficult it is to maintain that curve, so it's not surprising to see, and perhaps not meaningful to point this out, in relation to iPhone growth.
  • Reply 33 of 431
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

Google must be even more genius than we thought since they bought Android in 2005, nearly two years before anyone knew for certain Apple was developing a phone. And three years before the App Store opened. Yeah, they developed Android to fight off a competitor that didn't even exist at the time. Puh-leeze.

Apple wasn't "developing" a phone two years before 2005. LOL

it was announced and released in 2007,

meaning it was under development years prior. some reports even date back to earlier than 2005.
  • Reply 34 of 431
    ktronixktronix Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabay79 View Post

I love how right after he says this, he walks past his open MacBook Pro. Also, the trains didn't run on time in Italy even under Mussolini, it was just propaganda that the fascist used to make the people think that he was making their lives better...smoke and mirrors. (Sorry, History Major)

I'm willing to wager you're 100% correct. I've noticed that every tyrannical governmental model is just a noisy propaganda-driven machine. Fortunately, they aren't self-perpetuating enough in the long-term (as China becomes more Capitalist than communist).
  • Reply 35 of 431
    Quote:

It's easy to be on a "meteoric growth curve" when you are growing from nothing, but, the more you grow, the more difficult it is to maintain that curve, so it's not surprising to see, and perhaps not meaningful to point this out, in relation to iPhone growth.

Android's worldwide marketshare today is exactly what iPhone's worldwide marketshare was one year ago. And the trend has not abated, it's still growing far faster than iPhone. And it should be really easy to see why. There's tons of phones, there's tons of carriers.
  • Reply 36 of 431
    Quote:

Of course, iPhone will be far, far more profitable than Android is. Depends what your intentions are. Profit vs openness.

Oh, please, there's nothing open about Android or Google.
  • Reply 37 of 431
    Having actually read the book myself, I find Google fits the Big Brother criteria better than Apple does.
  • Reply 38 of 431
    Quote:

Oh, please, there's nothing open about Android or Google.

Are you serious?

Android is open source and free to license (sans Google branding). I can make a toaster oven and run Android on it fully legally.

There's nothing open about it? Really? It's even under the Apache license, not GPL -- vendors can write their own extensions to it without forcing them to open the source for that.

There's no app review process to arbitrarily reject apps either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Handset_Alliance
  • Reply 39 of 431
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

pot kettle etc.

(honest, we collected that data from open wifi networks completely by accident)

Second that.
  • Reply 40 of 431
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Having actually read the book myself, I find Google fits the Big Brother criteria better than Apple does.

The funny thing is the other news today - Facebook was found to be selling private data to Google and others.

Google has the 1984 reference correct in one way. With their doubleplusgood doublespeak, they're doing their best to deflect well-deserved criticism.