Google compares Apple to 'Big Brother' from iconic 1984 ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 431
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

So anyone can put OS X on their computers or sell a phone with iPhone OS?

So I can sync my iPhone trivially with other media software?

So anyone can set up a Google Search service on their own servers? Gosh, I hadn't realized Google had open sourced all their proprietary code.
  • Reply 42 of 431
    asherianasherian Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So anyone can set up a Google Search service on their own servers? Gosh, I hadn't realized Google had open sourced all their proprietary code.

The source code isn't open for Google search, but yes, you can set up your own Google Search service.

http://www.google.com/enterprise/search/mini.html

http://www.googlestore.com/appliance...ct.asp?catid=3
  • Reply 43 of 431
    Quote:

Android's worldwide marketshare today is exactly what iPhone's worldwide marketshare was one year ago. And the trend has not abated, it's still growing far faster than iPhone. And it should be really easy to see why. There's tons of phones, there's tons of carriers.

How many more carriers is Android on than iPhone, worldwide?
  • Reply 44 of 431
    Quote:

No idea, but it'll be a greater number.

Android is on 59 carriers. How many is iPhone on?
  • Reply 45 of 431
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

I'm actually curious on this point. How many carriers have the iPhone?
  • Reply 46 of 431
    Quote:

Are you serious?

Android is open source and free to license (sans Google branding). I can make a toaster oven and run Android on it fully legally.

There's nothing open about it? Really? It's even under the Apache license, not GPL -- vendors can write their own extensions to it without forcing them to open the source for that.

There's no app review process to arbitrarily reject apps either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Handset_Alliance

For all practical purposes, there is, and will be, only one Android vendor of any significance: Google. So, although they've paid all the right lip service to "open source", it is effectively just as closed as any other proprietary system.
  • Reply 47 of 431
    Quote:

For all practical purposes, their is, and will be, only one Android vendor of any significance: Google. So, although they've paid all the right lip service to "open source", it is effectively just as closed as any other proprietary system.

This comment demonstrates a fundamental ignorance about Android. Use Android on the Nexus One and compare it to a Motorola or HTC-branded phone or a Samsung phone or a Sony phone. All have extensive modifications to Android.

It's open source under the Apache license. Virtually every manufacturer has changed something about the code to customize it for their phones. There's no possible way you could say it's "effectively just as closed" as "other" proprietary systems.

I'm going away now, I can't debate with people that don't live in reality.
  • Reply 48 of 431
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

How could anyone say this with a straight face?

Android's marketshare is up over 800% year over year, iPhone up 112%. Extrapolate.

Android is already outselling iPhones in the US and is on pace to pass worldwide this year. Android is on a meteoric growth curve right now, growing far faster than iPhone is. And there's no reason to believe that won't continue with how many carriers, how many hardware makers they support. They're activating 100,000 Androids every day right now, and 12,000 apps were added to the Android Market in the past month alone. It's catching up very, very fast.

It really is Mac vs PC from the 80s all over again. That's not to say PC is better than Mac, but far more people will use PCs than Mac. Apple simply can't monopolize the entire market with their couple iPhone models.

800% of 1 is 8.

112% of 100 is 112.

There you go.....
  • Reply 49 of 431
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

How could anyone say this with a straight face?

Android's marketshare is up over 800% year over year, iPhone up 112%. Extrapolate.

Android is already outselling iPhones in the US and is on pace to pass worldwide this year. Android is on a meteoric growth curve right now, growing far faster than iPhone is. And there's no reason to believe that won't continue with how many carriers, how many hardware makers they support. They're activating 100,000 Androids every day right now, and 12,000 apps were added to the Android Market in the past month alone. It's catching up very, very fast.

It really is Mac vs PC from the 80s all over again. That's not to say PC is better than Mac, but far more people will use PCs than Mac. Apple simply can't monopolize the entire market with their couple iPhone models.

Well, I have no idea if Google feels scared of Apple or not..don't really care. And probably no one else outside of Google really knows. I realize you were just replying to another post, so your remarks were warranted, but in response to you saying that Apple cannot monopolize the the entire market, I say...who the hell cares?

I know some people can only judge success based on marketshare, but personally I could care less. I think Apple innovates more when they are the underdog. Macintosh, iPod and iPhone all came out of necessity, vision, and innovation. I don't want Apple to have 90% marketshare, as I think they will get complacent. Maybe I would care if I owned any stock, but I don't. I liked it better when everyone and their dog weren't on the Apple bandwagon.

When I got my original iPhone (August 2007), I only knew two other friends who had them. And these were Mac loyalists as well. No one else had them in my extended circle. Now, almost everyone I know has one. I think Apple's growth is slowing because they are approaching a saturation point, like they did with the iPod. So comparing Apple to Google in relation to growth isn't exactly accurate. However, I wish Apple still had a niche following. I don't need them to dominate, or monopolize, or take over the world. And I am tired of seeing all these 'Jonas Brother' kids with macs and iPhones. They don't even fully know why they are on the Apple bandwagon, and in my opinion, that should be required to ride the ride. Having Apple tech should not be based on seeing their favorite Disney or Nickelodeon stars with them. How annoying!
  • Reply 50 of 431
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

800% of 1 is 8.

112% of 100 is 112.

There you go.....

The numbers are far closer than you'll want to admit. Android is already selling more in the US, and it's 15% vs 10% worldwide. But Android's growth rate, even at 10% (which is what Apple was at last year), will push it past iPhone within the year.
  • Reply 51 of 431
    Quote:

I'm going away now, .......

Bye..
  • Reply 52 of 431
    Quote:

The source code isn't open for Google search, but yes, you can set up your own Google Search service.

http://www.google.com/enterprise/search/mini.html

http://www.googlestore.com/appliance...ct.asp?catid=3

No, you really can't, you can set up Google's Google Search service. Please, Google only tosses a few bones to open source now and then, says all the right things, but is as closed as closed gets when it really matters.
  • Reply 53 of 431
    Quote:

The numbers are far closer than you'll want to admit. Android is already selling more in the US, and it's 15% vs 10% worldwide. But Android's growth rate, even at 10% (which is what Apple was at last year), will push it past iPhone within the year.

I thought you were going away now!?
  • Reply 54 of 431
    Quote:

No idea, but it'll be a greater number.

Android is on 59 carriers. How many is iPhone on?

I don't know, but then you were the one who made the claim.
  • Reply 55 of 431
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    I saw the first to parts of the Keynote, then the YouTube suggestions wouldn't link me to the 3 part

Just wondering: why do they need to bash Apple that much? I mean seriously, if they had any serious merits, they wouldn't need to make fun of Apple at least 4 times in twenty minutes with completely distorted facts.

I hate when people have to bash others just to make themselves look better!

BTW, before any one comes with argument: I hate when Apple does this too!

And why on earth do they want the fastest JavaScript browser on a mobile device? Sure it's cool for spec oriented geeks, but in real life you want stuff that is easy to use, like the tap-to-zoom features. I just saw it on an Android-iPhone comparison the other day: the Android browser zoomed to much and half of the text was missing. My bet is they would be a lot more user friendly if they fixed things like that before focusing on the optimisation.
  • Reply 56 of 431
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I thought you were going away now!?

I think he was just being a drama queen.
  • Reply 57 of 431
    wuchmeewuchmee Posts: 41member
    Hypocritical BS from Google, a company poised to dominate if there ever was one. Who the hell do they think they're kidding? For Big Brother behavior look no further than Brin's recent admission concerning their wi-fi spying for Google Street View.

Let's see: Android defines "openness" on mobile phones? Really? As long as openness entails leaving users at the mercy of the carriers to upgrade Android to the next version. Yeah, good luck with trying to create a consistent, across-the-board platform.
  • Reply 58 of 431
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Lucky for me, I don't need to be a shill or fanboy for any particular tech company. The market competition is a good thing for us consumers and while I presently use the iPhone, I'll be more than happy to switch to an Android based platform if and when it delivers a better "internet in your pocket" experience to include such things as the same rendering of websites on the device as I would get on a desktop or laptop.

So far though, I have yet to see that and commercials that dog Apple as Orwellian don't cut it, especially when Google and Orwell's 1984 are virtual synonyms. Google has the bulk of my e-mail, my web, news, & group searches, RSS feeds, Adwords, Analytics, YouTube vids, and my credit card. I'm so plugged into Google, when it' goes down, I'm pretty much dead in the water except for screaming on Twitter.
  • Reply 59 of 431
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I'm finding their search engine starting to become pretty useless at this point...I just skip to page 4 anymore to get through all the paid search results.

I've noticed that too.

Additionally, the web tab displays a lot of news stories. If/when I want news, I search Google News. If/when I want background, I search the web. I dislike having to wade through the news stories again.
  • Reply 60 of 431
    tumme-tottetumme-totte Posts: 147member
    How smart is it by Google to upfront bash Apple like this? This is just driving Apple away and what incentives has Apple to play nice with anything Google does after this?

In a very narrow-minded group of Google-supporters this is funny, smart and creative. But seriously - it only shows that Google management is about to loose it. They have a positive curve and it will go on for a while, but they will loose touch. Big headed, self-centered and right out blunt.

Keep shares one year and then sell, because later on Google's true face will be exposed when their image starts to wear down. And shares will dive hard!