Microsoft's Office 2011 beta 3 for Mac gets new icons

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft has issued a third release of its private beta program for Office 2011 for Mac, which is expected to reach production by the end of the year.

The new release overhauls the suite's icons, which haven't significantly changed since Office v.X appeared in late 2001 with bubbly translucent icons intended to reflect the Aqua appearance of Mac OS X.

The new 2011 icons are toned down and more serious looking (below). Also refined are the splash screens for each app.

The new suite works to bring more visual harmony between the Mac and Windows versions; Microsoft just released Office 2010, the Windows equivalent of the upcoming 2011 Mac version.

Additional coverage of the latest Office 2011 and the suite's historical development:

Road to Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac: A New Hope

Road to Office 2011: New looks, support for Exchange, VBA

Road to Mac Office 2008: an introduction

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    lipstick on a pig
  • Reply 2 of 42
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    I think the Windows and Mac versions of Office should have the same icons.

It helps with Microsoft's branding and these very different icons do not.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    I really don't care about the look of the icons...I just hope that when I click those icons I don't have to wait 14 minutes for their respective apps to open.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

lipstick on a pig

Yeah if they spent as much time on the product design as they do on the icons and the splash screen each time, they might have something worth buying someday.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The new 2011 icons are toned down and more serious looking (below). Also refined are the splash screens for each app. ...

It's kind of hilarious how they still do that thing Microsoft does where they include extra "products" that simply duplicate the capabilities of others, or are split off from last years "products."

There are only really four products in Office and there always has been. This time they have six icons, but three of them are about communicating via email or text or whatever. Outlook and Messenger and "communicator" are really all the same thing (or should be).

It kind of reminds me how they shift the function and grouping of the control panel icons in every Windows release so no one can find them and so that they appear to be all new etc.

Anyone tried "Microsoft Communicator" yet? I tried looking it up but Microsoft's own web page on the product produces an error and won't display.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    The new icons are ugly. Although I am a fan of the aqua style in general, I also like the newer photo realistic style in newer versions of OS X. Microsoft had the matching aqua style in versions past, why do they have to ruin it with something that matches Windows XP instead of OS X? Even if they just take the Windows icons, they are nice and photo-realistic style and would work fine!

New splash screen sucks too. Beta 2 screen is awesome.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Worst Icons Ever......
  • Reply 8 of 42
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    ... they think this will make a difference.

Also sad is that I will no longer be able to arrange my Office icons in the dock to spell PEWX.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Also sad is that I will no longer be able to arrange my Office icons in the dock to spell PEWX.

LOL....I do that as well.....too funny.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    They're stylized, Aqua, and still evoke the brand of their component (ie, X for excel).

Given the clusterf*ck that was Office 2008 (No macros, seriously?), I'm still on 2004, but may move to 2011 if it's more stable a release than 2008 was.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    am I the only one who likes the new icons?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Microsoft Communicator is for intra-business communication and on Windows at least, is pretty rubbish. It doesn't even support basics like sending files.

Plus, the way we have it set up at work, breaks every link you send by prefixing it with an underscore, forcing you to copy and paste the links into a browser. Apparently this is a security feature.

As for the icons - I prefer the new ones.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

No, but some people are a tad too harsh, they're just icons, fine ones at that.

In meantime, I'm still searching for that elusive Kool-Aid icon for my HD.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

LOL....I do that as well.....too funny.

A POX on both your houses.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    vercordiovercordio Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I hate Microsoft, but actually I like those new icons. Modernity, as it applies to graphic design, seems to be shifting at an absurdly-fast rate these days, so it's sometimes foolhardy to call something "modern." However, that's how I would describe these icons. The aqua set look dated to me, in comparison.

But as with logos, an icon is an icon. Its usefulness is determined not by the intrinsic properties of the design (should they exist at all), but by the properties it represents. In other words, it's the software, stupid!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    If, and ever Office 2004 quits running under Rosetta (or Rosetta is just dumped completely) I will be moving to OpenOffice. Thanks but no thanks.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

No, but some people are a tad too harsh, they're just icons, fine ones at that.

In meantime, I'm still searching for that elusive Kool-Aid icon for my HD.

• Reply 18 of 42
    t_kt_k Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Yeah, but on the other hand....they've made it possible for you to have COX on your dock
  • Reply 19 of 42
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Worst Icons Ever......

This may be a bit strong, but these new icons most certainly come close.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

Yeah, but on the other hand....they've made it possible for you to have COX on your dock

Seriously, is anybody going to use Outlook? I am very happy with Apple's own Mail and how it seamlessly syncs with my iPhone and iPad. Does Outlook offer that but if not, why would anybody use it?