Google Chrome browser for Mac leaves beta

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Google has announced the first stable release of Chrome for Mac users, now available for download.

Mike Smith, the product manager of Google's Chrome Team, said in a blog announcement, "Today, I?m happy to announce that Google Chrome for Mac is being promoted out of beta to our stable channel.

"We believe that it provides not only the stability, performance and polish that every Mac user expects, but also a seamless native Mac application experience that Mac users will feel instantly at home with."

The new release can be downloaded from google.com/chrome. It requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later, and only supports Intel Macs.

Chrome is based on the WebKit rendering engine and APIs maintained by Apple, but in contrast to Safari, it offers a variety of unique features such as extension plugins that can modify how the browser works.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Sweet.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    anakin1992anakin1992 Posts: 283member
    is it going to collect my web surfing habits silently?
  • Reply 3 of 63
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

More than likely
  • Reply 4 of 63
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If you use Little Snitch, you will see the Google's Chrome likes to call home quite a bit. So much, that I gave up on it. There is no need for it to report home so much. Safari calls home like once a week to check for updates. Chrome calls home like ten times each time the application starts.

Further, it's Java implementation is horrible.

Quote:

• Reply 5 of 63
    Good news for people with Macs that would like more choice in browsers. The stable version of Chrome is solid.

Also, as will probably be demonstrated below me, I love it on how ANY news on this site is automatically criticized if it is not a product created by Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If you use Little Snitch, you will see the Google's Chrome likes to call home quite a bit. So much, that I gave up on it. There is no need for it to report home so much. Safari calls home like once a week to check for updates. Chrome calls home like ten times each time the application starts.

Further, it's Java implementation is horrible.

It can call home all it wants. Its speed and features make it the best user experience available in a web browser! It is also updated often. Sometimes more than once a day. Bugs that pop up are squished faster than any other browser.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

It can call home all it wants. Its speed and features make it the best user experience available in a web browser! It is also updated often. Sometimes more than once a day. Bugs that pop up are squished faster than any other browser.

To each his own; Chrome is indeed powerful and fast, but your privacy is at stake when you use it. Personally I will stick to Safari for now.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Gimpy adblocking (it downloads ads, then blocks them) and no RSS live bookmarks are a dealbreaker for me. The plugin APIs don't allow for either to be effective.

I'm using chrome right now on my AMD Geode 500mhz japanese micro-laptop, simply because it is the only browser with acceptable speed on this incredibly under powered machine, but in O X and Windows I use Firefox exclusively.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The speed of modern browser engines, including Firefox and IE9, are fast enough that consumers should be choosing on other merits. For example, i use Safari on Mac and IE8 with Chrome Frame on Windows as I like a strong integration between my browser and OS, and don't care for extensions.

I do like how fast the Chrome app opens and dislike Safari's speed in this area, but since moving to an SSD and having it opened for days at a time means that this is null point for me now. I'll give Chrome another try if and when they can get a better bookmark and history setup.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    Why do I need another application to perform the

same task that Safari does so well?

Glad there are choices for those that might want it.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
  • Reply 12 of 63
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Bothered
  • Reply 13 of 63
    acknightacknight Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Gimpy adblocking (it downloads ads, then blocks them) and no RSS live bookmarks are a dealbreaker for me. The plugin APIs don't allow for either to be effective.

I'm using chrome right now on my AMD Geode 500mhz japanese micro-laptop, simply because it is the only browser with acceptable speed on this incredibly under powered machine, but in O X and Windows I use Firefox exclusively.

On the Mac side, try GlimmerBlocker (for both Safari and Chrome - it's a proxy that does the blocking) - works just fine. Yes, the Chrome Adblock is pretty terrible.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I have a few words for you:

"I'm with coco-a"
  • Reply 15 of 63
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post

Good news for people with Macs that would like more choice in browsers. The stable version of Chrome is solid.

Also, as will probably be demonstrated below me, I love it on how ANY news on this site is automatically criticized if it is not a product created by Apple.

Since you criticized it, was demonstrated BY you.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Safari is incredibly simple and fast, all I need, there's also that plug-in: glims that I like.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Can it really be that fast, like the commercials?
  • Reply 18 of 63
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i like. it's like firefox's power and features with a safari style interface and smaller footprint. will be my main browser from now on if all goes well

thanks for notes about privacy, will look into it (little snitch)
  • Reply 19 of 63
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    I didn't think it was possible for a piece of Google software to leave Beta.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member
    Quote:

[Google Chrome] is also updated often. Sometimes more than once a day. Bugs that pop up are squished faster than any other browser.

Will this still be true now that it is out of beta? I mean the beta for the next version will probably be updated swiftly, but stable usually means updated infrequently and only when needed.

Also, if you like cutting edge, have you tried Webkit nightlies? http://nightly.webkit.org/ It uses the same interface as Safari, and even shares bookmarks, so you can always go back incase the latest nightly is too buggy.