AdMob: iPhone OS market still twice as big as Android in US

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report by Google's AdMob subsidiary details that the installed base of iPhone OS devices visible on its ad network in April is twice as large as Android in the US, and 3.5 times larger globally.

The metrics look only at devices that have made a request to the AdMob network, so they don't count people who have not used any of the 23,000 apps or websites making use of AdMob's display ads within the test period.

"These unique device numbers are from the AdMob network only and reflect the adoption of our products and business operation," the report states. "We don?t know what percentage of the total universe of iPhone and Android devices AdMob reaches. However we believe the data is useful on a relative basis given the large sample size of devices in our network."

Broken, blended or buried?

Apple reports having sold more than 85 million iPhone OS devices while AdMob only sees 40.8 million worldwide, or less than half of those ever sold within its transaction logs.

Some number of those devices have been taken out of service, but if only half of those sold are currently being used, this suggests an extremely short lifespan for mobile devices. This also implies Apple will sell a tremendous number of new devices once the new iPhone 4 is released.

iPod touch and iPad in the App Store installed base

The numbers also indicate the power of Apple's iPod touch (and increasingly iPad) to dramatically boost the installed base of iPhone OS devices demanding software.

If roughly 80% of the active installed base of all iPhone OS devices in the US are iPod touches and iPads, that means even if Android phone sales catch up the iPhone (as they did in the US in the first calendar quarter of this year) Apple will still maintain a much larger market for developers to target.

Global distribution

More than half of Apple's sales are now outside the US. AdMob's figures indicate 49% of the iPhone OS devices reaching its ad network are in North America, while 28% are in Western Europe, 14% are in Asia and nearly 10% are elsewhere around the world.

For Android, a whopping 75% of the installed base visible to AdMob are in North America, with only 11% finding their way to Western Europe. A similar 12% are found in Asia, while less than 3% are in use elsewhere on the globe.

AdMob reports that the iPhone remains its top smartphone worldwide, making 41.6% of the ad network's total requests. However, that number is down incrementally from January when it represented 50% of the total ad traffic. The second place model is the Motorola Droid at 7.3%, followed by three HTC models that each claim less than 3% traffic share.

In the US, the iPhone has shrunk from 47% ad share in January to 38% share in the most recent report, while the second place Droid is at 16.1%. Overall, Android has grown from consuming 39% of the network's ads to 46%, making Android bigger as an ad base than the iPhone in this country.

In the UK, the iPhone maintains a whopping 63.9% share of the smartphone ad market, although that figure is also down from 79% in January. Other countries remain dominated by Nokia's Symbian phones, including India, Indonesia, and the Philippines, where Symbian makes up more than 90% of the ad market among smartphones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Android better start grabbing market share when they can. Windows Phone 7 is their true competitor.

Apple will always be Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Google's problem will soon be that nobody believes AdMob's numbers.

They'll simply be viewed as self-serving.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Looks like Android is off to a great start.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Google's problem will soon be that nobody believes AdMob's numbers.

They'll simply be viewed as self-serving.

So true. Of course, they'll claim that anyone can use Admob on the iPhone, so it doesn't matter that iAd will be taking up a bigger and bigger percentage of the ads displayed
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Looks like Android is off to a great start.

If you believe Google.

Here's a thought experiment: would you believe Nielsen ratings about Fox having one-third of the viewership share if the company was owned by Rupert Murdoch?
  • Reply 6 of 86
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    Quote:

If you believe Google.

Here's a thought experiment: would you believe Nielsen ratings about Fox having one-third of the viewership share if the company was owned by Rupert Murdoch?

I wouldn't believe anything out of Nielsen if it were owned by Rupert Murdoch.

I wonder, however, it a good number of the missing half of all iPhones sold just don't have any AdMob supported apps on them. A lot of people don't like ad apps, and may just delete any downloaded, which totally skews the results if ad apps are more widely used on other platforms.

Then again, we probably should just discount any statistics like this out of Google/AdMob.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    sippincidersippincider Posts: 410member
    Love or hate Android, Apple does need the competition.

If we get to the point where we're blind/dismissive to rest of the industry, or we're rabidly intolerant of even the slightest competition, then we have become Microsoft.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Love or hate Android, Apple does need the competition.

If we get to the point where we're blind/dismissive to rest of the industry, or we're rabidly intolerant of even the slightest competition, then we have become Microsoft.

I think you're overstating the case. Very few people are against true competition or innovation, even fewer 'rabidly intolerant.'

A lot of people are -- at least, I am -- befuddled and put off by the fact there are so many great minds in so many great tech companies that are throwing so many tens of billions of dollars at R&D, and yet have so little to show for it.

If Android is truly game-changing competition, then I am all for it. Right now, it seems to me like it is little more than just the cool, anti-Apple alternative.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

If Android is truly game-changing competition, then I am all for it. Right now, it seems to me like it is little more than just the cool, anti-Apple alternative.

Which is why their true competitor is Microsoft.

There is iPhone, and there are iPhone wannabes.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:

I think you're overstating the case. Very few people are against true competition or innovation, even fewer 'rabidly intolerant.'

A lot of people are -- at least, I am -- befuddled and put off by the fact there are so many great minds in so many great tech companies that are throwing so many tens of billions of dollars at R&D, and yet have so little to show for it.

I'm curious, have you used an Android device?
  • Reply 11 of 86
    The Iphone is like... well... let me think... well it's like going to an Ice Cream shop and only being offerred Vanilla (quite good Vanilla though). ANDROID, by comparison is like walking into a Baskin-Robbins! The sprinkles selection (a.k.a. the Apps) available at the Vanilla only shop is better (for now), however, the flavor does not come from those sprinkles but from the tasty goodness YOU CHOSE (from amidst many flavors) that they sit atop. Just Broke it Downz... for you Iclowns!
  • Reply 12 of 86
    sniblingsnibling Posts: 2member
    Baskin-Robbins sucks.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Apple reports having sold more than 85 million iPhone OS devices while AdMob only sees 40.8 million worldwide, or less than half of those ever sold within its transaction logs.

Some number of those devices have been taken out of service, but if only half of those sold are currently being used, this suggests an extremely short lifespan for mobile devices.

No, it suggests extremely short lifespan for the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

No, it suggests extremely short lifespan for the iPhone.

No, it suggests Admob's network is limited.

AT&T has reported activating 9m iPhones in the last 9 months. Most analysts believe AT&T has 15 to 16m iPhone subscribers, out of approximately 21m iPhones sold in the US since June 2007.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,855member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evomyhero View Post

The Iphone is like... well... let me think... well it's like going to an Ice Cream shop and only being offerred Vanilla (quite good Vanilla though). ANDROID, by comparison is like walking into a Baskin-Robbins! The sprinkles selection (a.k.a. the Apps) available at the Vanilla only shop is better (for now), however, the flavor does not come from those sprinkles but from the tasty goodness YOU CHOSE (from amidst many flavors) that they sit atop. Just Broke it Downz... for you Iclowns!

So let's review some of the Android ice cream flavors, all of which are based on ice creams actually made on Iron Chef (original and/or American):
    • Broccoli

• Asparagus

• Trout!

Tasty goodness indeed! Gonna need a lot of sprinkles on that trout, thank you.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    mkeathmkeath Posts: 60member
    Quote:

R&D 9 times out of 10 doesn't lead anywhere. For every 1 new successful piece of technology that makes it to market, 9 do not and are never heard of. However, for the ones that are failures, the researchers learned something from them.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So let's review some of the Android ice cream flavors, all of which are based on ice creams actually made on Iron Chef (original and/or American):
    • Broccoli

• Asparagus

• Trout!

Inspired response, 'mouse! Too bad the little troll won't see it. He is a one post wonder who took his dump and moved on to soil other forums.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Which is why their true competitor is Microsoft.

There is iPhone, and there are iPhone wannabes.

This is the cocky attitude that causes companies to fail. Also, the philosophy behind Android, the iPhone, and WP7 are ridiculously different. Android is customizable with quick whatever you want to do whether that be glanceable information, contacts, weather, whatever. WP7 is good for quick, glanceable information for the on-the-go person along with some awesome business tools, social networking, and music integration. As an aside, sorry guys, but the Zune is actually an awesome music player both on the desktop and as a device. I have had 3 iPods, a Zune 2G and a Zune HD. All 3 iPods broke in less than a year. My first Zune lasted over a year and my Zune HD is still going strong and shows no signs of quitting anytime soon. Back to my comparison of phone OS philosophies. iPhone OS is about what Steve thinks is important to you in a phone from what you can do to how you do that. That philosophy isn't necessarily bad, but it isn't good for certain people. Ultimately, it comes down to consumer preference. Consumers are buying android phones because that's all they can get on their carriers. That's fine. The thing is that people are ending up loving their Android phones, and that has bitten Apple in the ass. I know two people off the top of my head that have Android phones who you would suspect to be iPhone type people, and both of them absolutely love them. One has a Moto Droid and the other a Droid Eris. Even though WP7 isn't out yet, I am sure people will love it when it does come out. WinMo 6.5 is a stable OS, so MS has shown that they can make a stable phone OS. And I know numerous people who love their iPhones. I don't personally, but that's because it's not for me. My mom's iPhone was the first phone she was ever able to figure out on her own. I am very thankful for this fact because I don't get phone calls all the time asking me how to do something.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

• Broccoli

• Asparagus

• Trout!

No doubt that "Trout" flavor (probably quite similar in taste to what's residing between your thighs), is not as appealing as an Iphone (see the Palm "anything") but the sweetest smelling, best tasting, creamiest and most skin tingling offering walking the streets is one 6 gallon carton over... and the option is all yours!
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Inspired response, 'mouse! Too bad the little troll won't see it. He is a one post wonder who took his dump and moved on to soil other forums.

It's a crying-ass shame that his analogy is accurate.