ext HD from my mac is dying, can only be read in Linux, need to change permissions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hello

I have got an external passport drive from WD.

it is formatted as Mac [journalled] through my macBook, and I use it for my iTunes library and other storage.

as of yesterday the disk is dying and won't let my macBook read it properly any more.

sometimes the disk doesn't show up, sometimes it shows empty, sometimes with only one folder, sometimes with more. usually the folders appear to be empty.

if I go to the disk in my Linux set-up in parallels I can see the disk just fine, although it does stutter, tells me the disk is dying and sometimes disconnects. but with a lot of patience I have been able to save a whole bunch of files.

until I came to my iTunes Music files.

about 90% of these files have insufficient permissions for me to copy them anywhere.

I can't get into terminal on my mac to change the permissions, because OS.X won't mount the disk properly. it does mount in Linux, but won't let me do anything.

is there any thing I can do to salvage my music files?

thank you,

Eric.

PS: the times that any files did show up in OS.X, when I tried to move them to another partition, I got the following line:

Quote:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “.DS_Store” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Well if your VM is able to read the disk, so should something like Data Rescue 3 which runs in OS X.

That would resolve your permissions issue.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

Your next step would be to remove several power cables from your devices and the power outlet, tie them together at one end, remove your shirt and beat your back bloody for several hours.

You will chant "I will backup my data, I will back up my data, I will backup my data"

Now I'll give you some other tips, a free program called Onyx has the ability to rebuild DS_Store files and other things, likely it has to be able to mount the drive first. I wouldn't try this until after you have recovered your files. Make sure you get the entire iTunes folder to save playlists.

Also another great donation program is called Carbon Copy Cloner, which will clone your entire OS X drive/partition to another drive and make it bootable, so you can hold option and boot from it.

Then simply dragging and dropping your iTunes folder to another drive once in awhile works too.

Good luck
  • Reply 2 of 9
    popspops Posts: 15member
    I tried data rescue 3, as did I StellarPhoenix, but neither of them sees any files.

which is just weird. howcome I can see everything in a VM linux, yet osx can't?

I do regularly back up my files, but the last time was about a month ago, so still missing all the new stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pOps View Post

I tried data rescue 3, as did I StellarPhoenix, but neither of them sees any files.

which is just weird. how come I can see everything in a VM linux, yet osx can't?

I do regularly back up my files, but the last time was about a month ago, so still missing all the new stuff.

Likely because it reads the drive directly via their own drivers likely.

Your problem might be a software and not a hardware problem.

Have you tried holding c and booting off the installer disk and running Disk Utility that way on the problem drive and the boot drive?

You could review your last months iTMS purchase history and explain your problem to Apple and ask for a re-download.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Likely because it reads the drive directly via their own drivers likely.

Your problem might be a software and not a hardware problem.

Have you tried holding c and booting off the installer disk and running Disk Utility that way on the problem drive and the boot drive?

You could review your last months iTMS purchase history and explain your problem to Apple and ask for a re-download.

I did hook the drive up to my travel laptop (a netbook running OSX), but also there: no succes.

on Linux it keeps disconnecting and warning me that there is a drive that is failing.

I will also try the installer disk option as a last resort soon.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Tried using sudo in Terminal on Linux?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

hello

I have got an external passport drive from WD.

it is formatted as Mac [journalled] through my macBook, and I use it for my iTunes library and other storage.

as of yesterday the disk is dying and won't let my macBook read it properly any more.

sometimes the disk doesn't show up, sometimes it shows empty, sometimes with only one folder, sometimes with more. usually the folders appear to be empty.

if I go to the disk in my Linux set-up in parallels I can see the disk just fine, although it does stutter, tells me the disk is dying and sometimes disconnects. but with a lot of patience I have been able to save a whole bunch of files.

until I came to my iTunes Music files.

about 90% of these files have insufficient permissions for me to copy them anywhere.

I can't get into terminal on my mac to change the permissions, because OS.X won't mount the disk properly. it does mount in Linux, but won't let me do anything.

is there any thing I can do to salvage my music files?

Yes.

Start with SpotOn's second recommendation.

Then, when you have been released from hospital, stuff that hard drive into a freezer/ziplock bag and stick it into your fridge (not the freezer!) for 45 minutes (I'm not kidding you!), then take it out and connect it to your Mac. If you're lucky everything will work... for a half hour! So do what you need to do asap, then go and get two new hard disks: one to backup the other. And throw the old one away.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Yes.

Start with SpotOn's second recommendation.

Then, when you have been released from hospital, stuff that hard drive into a freezer/ziplock bag and stick it into your fridge (not the freezer!) for 45 minutes (I'm not kidding you!), then take it out and connect it to your Mac. If you're lucky everything will work... for a half hour! So do what you need to do asap, then go and get two new hard disks: one to backup the other. And throw the old one away.

ok, so I did put it in the fridge, and as by magic my files showed up.

but for 8 minutes only, which was just enough to run a chown in terminal and change the permissions enough to access them in Linux.

so after that I could kind-of mount it in Parallels Ubuntu, and one-by-one I could drag my files off.

it was a tedious job, because the disk kept on crashing, so I could only move little bits of data at the time. the huge files I couldn't save, but it looks like the rest is now on my second backup disc.

thanks all!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

ok, so I did put it in the fridge, and as by magic my files showed up.

but for 8 minutes only, which was just enough to run a chown in terminal and change the permissions enough to access them in Linux.

so after that I could kind-of mount it in Parallels Ubuntu, and one-by-one I could drag my files off.

it was a tedious job, because the disk kept on crashing, so I could only move little bits of data at the time. the huge files I couldn't save, but it looks like the rest is now on my second backup disc.

thanks all!

If your cables are long enough you can leave the HD in the fridge while doing what you need to do with it. That way the HD won't warm up and stay at fridge temperature and will keep on functioning longer than 8 minutes.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

If your cables are long enough you can leave the HD in the fridge while doing what you need to do with it. That way the HD won't warm up and stay at fridge temperature and will keep on functioning longer than 8 minutes.

well, I did buy some cold-packs and wrapped it up in those, but that didn't really work.