Parallels offers Upgrade to Windows 7 as VMWare issues Fusion 3.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
VMWare's Fusion has been updated to version 3.1, adding feature and performance improvements to the virtualization solution for running the Microsoft Windows operating system within Mac OS X.

Fusion 3.1 upgrade ready

VMWare's Fusion 3.1 virtualization software is emerging from beta as a free upgrade to existing 3.0 users. Registered owners can download the update by selecting "Check for Updates" in the VMware Fusion menu of version 3.0. Earlier versions can be upgraded for $40 while the full version costs $80.

The new update brings "end-to-end" speed improvements in application performance 35% greater than the previous 3.0 version, accelerating disk operations, scrolling, app launching and resuming from virtual machine suspend.

Fusion 3.1 also supports OpenGL 2.1 when running Windows Vista or 7, and boasts nearly 4x speed boost in 2D graphics and up to a five-fold increase in 3D graphics performance. Autodesk supports the software for use with the currently Windows-only AutoCAD 2011.

A new EasyConnect feature improves virtual USB device assignment, while the update also enhances Unity, VMWare's integrated desktop mode that mixes Windows apps into the Mac OS X desktop. Unity offers an exclusive new feature that "supports Mac OS X Snow Leopard?s Dock Exposé for individual Windows applications so Windows apps work even more like Mac apps."

VMWare also calls Fusion 3.1 "the fastest, easiest, and least expensive way to migrate your entire PC to a Mac. VMware Fusion 3.1 includes all of the software you need to make the switch ? without the 25% added cost of a special one-time use cable. VMware Fusion?s highly optimized PC Migration Assistant is up to 4x faster than other Switch to Mac offerings."

The new Fusion 3.1 also supports larger virtual machines, with support for eight-way Symmetric Multiprocessing on machines with multiple cores, and larger virtual disks up to 2TB. The new update also adds support for new versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4, Novell SUSE Linux 11 SP1, Ubuntu 8.0.4.4 and Ubuntu 10.04.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    I will always be grateful to Parallels. It allowed me to use my Macs instead of having a dedicated Window computer for my real estate business...

I was an original beta user and paid for every upgrade to 4.O...but now I'm down to using Parallels for one program which is to update my real estate e-key....which I can do with a 'telephone land line' (whatever that is!)

So, so long old friend! And good riddance to any MS POS on my mac! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I will always be grateful to Parallels. It allowed me to use my Macs instead of having a dedicated Window computer for my real estate business...

I was an original beta user and paid for every upgrade to 4.O...but now I'm down to using Parallels for one program which is to update my real estate e-key....which I can do with a 'telephone land line' (whatever that is!)

So, so long old friend! And good riddance to any MS POS on my mac! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I am in the same boat. I only need to use Windows for two engineering software that are Windows XP only. I am also using Office on Windows because of my dissertation template, which have problems with the Mac version.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I can't wait for the next testing to be done to determine which one of these two virtualization apps is the king of speed. I know Parallels 5 had the upper hand but I wonder if that is still the case now?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    And we are in the same boat, only using Parallels to access the MLS (now MFR) in Sarasota Florida.

I just wish the people behind this system would support the number one tech company in the World!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And we are in the same boat, only using Parallels to access the MLS (now MFR) in Sarasota Florida.

I just wish the people behind this system would support the number one tech company in the World!

Is that free sun (now oracle) virtual worth a crap
  • Reply 6 of 29
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Fusion for me. I tried Parallels, but came back to Fusion. 3.1's desktop graphics score dropped to 3.9 from 4.2 on the experience index, but the gaming graphics score jumped to 4.6 from 3.4. Good enough for me.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Fusion always worked better for me too, it seems a lot more solid.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I tried it once but after using both Parallels and VMware for years it seems a bit amateurish but that was just my impression after a short while to be fair.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    All these commercial updates, on the heels of VirtualBox getting updated last week. And which am I installing tonight to run one Mac OS X partition from within another? VirtualBox.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I am in the same boat. I only need to use Windows for two engineering software that are Windows XP only. I am also using Office on Windows because of my dissertation template, which have problems with the Mac version.

I feel for you... whenever I have to update my eKey I have to restart windows XP in Parallels and then unplug my usb eKey, unplug my pwr cable and then start the antiquated update program that looks like something from windows 3.0 and then maybe it will update on the second or third try...pretty frustrating when you're late for an appointment. Which I usually am!
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Agreed but to be fair the MLS systems here in AZ are now Safari compatible...but as you say the eKey/lockbox system is still in the '80's! It is so frustrating.

I'm used to the macs/iphones and yet I feel I'm setting my VCR or something when it comes to these damn eKeys!

Oh well, good luck in FL, I'm in AZ which is the epicenter of the real estate downturn.

Hard to believe five states in the US have brought the world economy to its knees! With a little help from Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and the rest,

You heard of the rat race? Well the rats (Goldman Sachs) have won it!

Best
  • Reply 12 of 29
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    So let me get this straight - Parallels wants me to pay them $40 so I can upgrade to Windows 7 sans the typical MS problems. Gee what a deal.

Perhaps when there is no more Windows, these creative geniuses can find work at Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I changed from Parallels to VirtualBox, for me VirtualBox does everything I need, and at a much better price.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

I tried it once but after using both Parallels and VMware for years it seems a bit amateurish but that was just my impression after a short while to be fair.

I once thought so too, but I've since changed my mind. I was using VM server, but I now use VBox. However, this is on Windows as I've not installed it on my Mac.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    I'm a little confused: I bought both Parallels 5.0 and Windows 7 (separately) in December and have been running both since then
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Surfer Rosa View Post

I once thought so too, but I've since changed my mind. I was using VM server, but I now use VBox. However, this is on Windows as I've not installed it on my Mac.

It must be almost two years since I tried it so I will definitely give VBox another spin, nothing to lose. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Agreed but to be fair the MLS systems here in AZ are now Safari compatible...but as you say the eKey/lockbox system is still in the '80's! It is so frustrating.

I'm used to the macs/iphones and yet I feel I'm setting my VCR or something when it comes to these damn eKeys!

Oh well, good luck in FL, I'm in AZ which is the epicenter of the real estate downturn.

Hard to believe five states in the US have brought the world economy to its knees! With a little help from Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and the rest,

Best

Oh if only our MFR was supported on a Mac! What bliss that would be. We can't even use Firefox on the PC, it has to be IE, no exceptions.

This area is seeing healthy signs of recovery TG, we were probably very early into the debacle and as always hoped, one of the early ones crawling out. The sales board at Michael Saunders & Co is very active this year. Personally though we are still hurting badly unfortunately.

Totally agree on the causes! The level of greed here in 05 was staggering as everyone and their dog became a real estate 'investor' buying multiple homes to flip. Of course, absent the ludicrous appraisals and banks lending to anything that could breath these idiots would have never been able to do this. I lost count of asking people if they had every played musical chairs.

Good luck in AZ
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

I'm a little confused: I bought both Parallels 5.0 and Windows 7 (separately) in December and have been running both since then

I think this is for XP users wanting a painless path to upgrade to 7, like you I simply bought 7 and installed in Parallels 5 so you and I have no use for the upgrade ... please correct me if I am wrong anyone.

The update to VMWare on the other hand sounds more like the next phase in playing Leap Frog with Parallels 5 and perhaps will be faster? I am not allowed a second installation of 7 on the same Mac with the modern M$ protection system so I can't really test. I so look forward to never having to care ... I will miss Windows usage like a bad case of the flu. No, I take that back I'd take the flu in a heart beat over having to ever use Windows again
  • Reply 19 of 29
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

You might find this interesting.

http://www.businessinsider.com/europe-debt-chart-2010-5

Poorly run governments by far are the worst offenders.

Freddie and Fannie are Government Sponsored Entities

Also

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...877322,00.html
  • Reply 20 of 29
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Now that Apple is the "biggest" tech company in the world, I'm looking forward to the day I don't need these products. The only thing I need a Windows installation for is to test websites in Internet Explorer.

Problem is, you can't install IE7 and IE8 on the same machine, so I have to keep TWO Parallels installations, which use 10GB each, take around 15 minutes to launch and suspend, and are unusably slow if both are running together. So if I tweak a website and want to give it a quick look in the two browsers, it's at least a half hour process. If one looks okay, then I see a problem in another, then I want to go back and re-check the first one, I can easily go crazy.

At least my clients don't make me support IE6 anymore. And I rarely need to customize CSS for IE8.