iTunes.com, new Macs pegged as potential Apple WWDC announcements

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While the new iPhone is expected to be the centerpiece of Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, one analyst said Friday that Apple may also announced a cloud-based iTunes service, as well as Mac Pro and MacBook Air upgrades.

Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors in which he saidhe believes the new "iPhone HD" will become the new flagship handset, while last year's iPhone 3GS will become the low-end model. He said the $99 iPhone 3G has arguably been "disappointing," as most Apple customers have opted to upgrade to the iPhone 3GS.

But Wu said there is a possibility that CEO Steve Jobs could use the June 7 keynote to unveil "iTunes.com," a name commonly used to refer to Apple's unannounced cloud-based streaming music service. If Apple did unveil the service, it would be a surprise, as previous rumors have alleged that the company is engaged only in preliminary negotiations with record labels over such a service.

Talks with the labels have reportedly gained little traction, as they feel streaming a single purchase to multiple devices constitutes multiple uses. By that definition, the labels could seek a greater share of revenue from iTunes purchases.

Apple's negotiating tactics with the labels have gained the attention of the U.S. Department of Justice. Staff members with the department have reportedly started inquiries with music labels as part of a broad investigation of the online music market.

Wu also noted that the Mac Pro and MacBook Air were last refreshed in March and June of 2009, respectively, making the computers potential candidates for an update at the June 7 keynote.

Earlier this month, a rumor suggested an update for the MacBook Air was imminent, though that failed to materialize. Apple did, however, quietly refresh its low-end MacBook, giving it a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics.

In March, AppleInsider reported that Apple would update its desktop Mac Pro by June, adding a total of 12-cores from Intel's latest Westmere architecture to the high-end desktop. Apple is also expected to release a second LED-backlit Cinema Display, measuring 27-inches diagonally and resembling its existing 24-inch model released in October of 2008.

Wu expects Apple to report $14 billion in revenue and $2.90 in earnings per share, above the Wall Street consensus of $13.9 billion and $2.84 EPS, for the June quarter. He believes Apple will sell 8.05 million iPhones, 3.2 million Macs, 2 million iPads, and 10 million iPods. Kaufman Bros. has reiterated its buy rating for AAPL stock, and maintained a price target of $320.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    A new Macbook Air could give us hints on the external design of the upcoming MBP ! No.. maybe.. perhaps .. ?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    What the MacBook Air needs, as well as all Mac laptops, is a recessed spring loaded SD slot like in cameras.

This way one can buy SDXC cards (up to 2TB as they become available) and just leave them inside the machine.

Would justify using the expensive and low storage SSD options as one wouldn't keep their files on the boot drive.

That and more anti-glare screen options for those who need it.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I can't wait for the people who start complaining on what doesn't get talked about. No updates to XYZ? This is the worst WWDC ever, how dare they not mention XYZ?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Hey, I'm always up for a good game of "How wrong can Shaw Wu possibly be".
  • Reply 5 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Mac Pro makes sense. Now that there are 6 core Xeon chips, Apple will undoubtedly use them.

MBA is a different story. There's really nothing much faster in the ULV line that Apple can use in the current design. If they go to ULV i5, they have the same problem as the 13" MBP - either accept crappy Intel graphics or find a way to have discrete graphics without busting the heat/energy budget.

Because of that, I expect that they won't release a significantly new MBA until they've done a complete redesign. You might see a slight clock speed bump on the current model, but that would be so minor that it would not be worth a WWDC announcement.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Hey, I'm always up for a good game of "How wrong can Shaw Wu possibly be".

lol spot on, talk about a guestimate.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Anyone else think (or hope) that Apple is not going to call it "iPhone HD"? I've heard that thrown around a few times but I can't say I like it nor do I think Apple would use it. I'm guessing, and hoping for iPhone 4.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Music streaming: This should circumvent the stupid Canadian DRM law (if bill passes) that one can only have one media per device storage resulting multiple purchases for multiple copies. With streaming, there is no need to copy. All your purchased songs can be played from a server, local or cloud. As well an attempt to feature match Android music streaming.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I can't wait for the people who start complaining on what doesn't get talked about. No updates to XYZ? This is the worst WWDC ever, how dare they not mention XYZ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Just get over it. These types are always around. We all know them in our families and work places. They're never satisfied with anything. They bought a Ford because they hated GM. Now they're bitching about their GM car too. They are who they are.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No Mac Pro update would be pretty bad, since it's been over a year since the last one and new Xeon processors are (supposedly) approaching wide availability.

I have already reserved the right to bitch about that if they don't announce new ones, before reading this article.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    He's guessing just like we are.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Music streaming: This should circumvent the stupid Canadian DRM law (if bill passes) that one can only have one media per device storage resulting multiple purchases for multiple copies. With streaming, there is no need to copy. All your purchased songs can be played from a server, local or cloud. As well an attempt to feature match Android music streaming.

All previous bills are dead and we haven't seen what the new one to be introduced will include. Write your MP if you're concerned though (I should follow that advice myself).
  • Reply 13 of 48
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

Wu expects Apple to report $14 billion in revenue and $2.90 in earnings per share, above the Wall Street consensus of $13.9 billion and $2.84 EPS, for the June quarter. He believes Apple will sell 8.05 million iPhones, 3.2 million Macs, 2 million iPads, and 10 million iPods.

Let's see, Apple already reported before the end of April that a million iPads had been sold in the US alone.

Philip Elmer DeWitt (PED) claims that about 900,000 iPads had been ordered online in Europe alone. This number is still speculation, of course, but there are numerous reports, in Europe, Japan that the online orders had to be stopped after a few days. Then, after that when the online orders were opened again, the deliveries would be early June.

What is known with the iPhone was that more than 50% of all sales are now worldwide. However, since only nine (9) countries were included so far, it is possible that the iPad sales ratio may stil tilt slightly in favor of US sales.

Even if the PED rumor of 900,000 iPads is an overestimate. It would require almost zero sales in the US, and the total iPad sales for the June 2010 quarter could easily exceed the 2 million estimate.

In fact, iPad sales in the US remains high. Reports indicate that stocks are still getting sold out in the US, this has been confirmed by anecdotal reports in the forums, and also from personal experience when I visited the Boylston Apple Store.

If the PED rumor turns out to be accurate, even my already estimate of 2-4 million iPads in April may be too conservative. It could even be higher, if Apple can ramp up iPad production, as had been reported.

CGC
  • Reply 14 of 48
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

one analyst said Friday that Apple may also announced

Thanks for making me laugh on a Friday morning.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "He believes Apple will sell 8.05 million iPhones, 3.2 million Macs, 2 million iPads, and 10 million iPods."

Only 2 million iPads? They'll probably hit that by the end of this weekend. I think 3-4 million is more likely.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    New desktops would be welcome. So would a 30" cinema display update.

I just wonder how expensive the new desktops would be? And more importantly how expensive a comparable Hackitosh would be.

Any possibility for USB3 or LightPeak making an appearance. I've heard so little speculation on new desktops.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'm surprised he said 3.2 million Macs. I'll say 3.5 million then. However I expect that iPad would stunt some of the Mac's potential growth. We'll see.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    F RIAA.

the big surprise should be that apple bought out a recording company and will sell music with a 15/85 share, 15% going directly to the artist, 85% going to Apple.

the recording industry is just a bunch of vampires that have been sucking the lifeblood out of musicians for far too long.

Well I've always had a deep respect,

And I mean that most sincere.

The band is just fantastic,

that is really what I think.

Oh by the way, which one's Pink?

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?

We call it Riding the Gravy Train.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    mattalexmattalex Posts: 14member
    Please!
  • Reply 20 of 48
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

What the MacBook Air needs, as well as all Mac laptops, is a recessed spring loaded SD slot like in cameras.

This way one can buy SDXC cards (up to 2TB as they become available) and just leave them inside the machine.

Would justify using the expensive and low storage SSD options as one wouldn't keep their files on the boot drive.

That and more anti-glare screen options for those who need it.

Does anyone know how well the MacBook Air sells? I have to admit this is the one Apple product that I've never quite "got", since I don't see the Macbook as being all that heavy/cumbersome.

I agree with what you say about SD slots though. It seems strange that Apple, who are recognized as being good at handling media/photo processing etc. don't make it easier to get your photo's onto your computer. Wouldn't be so much of a problem if I wasn't so useless at remembering where my camera cable or USB -> SD card converter is!

I think on a laptop especially, it would be worth having one less USB port for an SD slot.