Dropped your iPad? That's $600 to repair

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Quote:

Everyone's heard about the bill shock you get from downloading too much data on your smartphone or a mobile broadband device, like the iPad, but how much would it cost to repair a broken one?

As much as $600 according to iPhone repairman, Rob Jacobs.

Jacobs' Sydney-based company, iPhone Doctor, has built a reputation for repairing the digitizers (the glass screen) and LCDs (the displays themselves) on all generations of Apple's iPhone, as well as the iPod touch and some HTC smartphones. Currently, a the bill for replacing the digitizer on a broken iPhone runs at around $100-150 for, or $200 to replace both the digitizer and LCD.

But Jacobs said repair costs for an iPad could be as high as $200 for the digitizer and $350-400 for the LCD in the first few months following the product's local release.

Thankfully, Jacobs told Computerworld Australia those prices could fall quickly....

more here:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...your_ipad_600/

Sort of like spilling a drink on your $1000 MacBook, like what occurred with me. Was quoted $600 for a repair and then no guarantee it would work. So I cut my losses and sold the new MacBook for parts.

Likely a lot of $500 iPad owners who drop their devices will opt to not fix them, the $800 iPad owners might have more reason to fix them depending upon the cost of the repair and the guaranty it will work again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    ComputerWorld.com.au is full of c r a p. Every iPad ever sold is still under warranty. Apple will not repair your ailing iPad--not least, not immediately. It replaces your broken tablet with a refurbished device having the same specs. If no refurbished models are available, then it will ship you a new device sans SIM card. If you understand these basic facts, then the price is understandable.

That said, when you purchase an iPad, you should also purchase an AppleCare policy for it. If you do so, then you will not have to pay the replacement price. Even without an AppleCare policy, there every iPad is protected under warranty for one year. To repeat my statement above, every iPad ever sold is still under warranty. If you don't have AppleCare, then you have until your warranty expires to purchase it.

To close the loop, your broken iPad will be refurbished and sold to another customer or used to replace some other customer's broken iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    So where are the reports of damaged iPad screens?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

So where are the reports of damaged iPad screens?

Who wants actual reports when they get in the way of fantasy estimates?

BTW, I've already dropped my iPad. It didn't break. However, I when I dropped my digital camera, it did break -- and the cost of repair is about half the price of replacing it with a new camera.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Thing is, I haven't even heard any reports of scratched screens. Mine is certainly in great shape. Are these things really that bullet proof?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

ComputerWorld.com.au is full of ...etc etc

Warranty and/or AppleCare doesn't cover damage or issues outside of defective products.

Why do you think Apple would bother to put moisture sensors in their laptops if they were just going to repair/replace them if a customer spilled liquid on the keyboard?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

... Every iPad ever sold is still under warranty. ...

But not every broken iPad is covered by the warranty. The warranty doesn't cover clumsiness.nor just plain stupidity.

What kind of fool would expect the warranty to cover a broken screen after dropping the darn thing?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Incidentally, the Australian Dollar is about $0.84 U.S., so at the very least, 20% needs to be subtracted from the above fantasy repair estimates.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Warranty and/or AppleCare doesn't cover damage or issues outside of defective products.

Why do you think Apple would bother to put moisture sensors in their laptops if they were just going to repair/replace them if a customer spilled liquid on the keyboard?

FWIW, two days after I received my 64 GB iPad 3G, it experienced a problem for which it could not be reset or restored. Apple replaced my device under warranty. Quite frankly, it doesn't bother me that Apple has taken measures to identify iPads that have been used as boat paddles. Every customer who pays for his own stupidity is one less customer who passes on his costs to the rest of us.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

FWIW, two days after I received my 64 GB iPad 3G, it experienced a problem for which it could not be reset or restored. Apple replaced my device under warranty.

Right, that was a defective product. So it's covered.

Quote:

Quite frankly, it doesn't bother me that Apple has taken measures to identify iPads that have been used as boat paddles. Every customer who pays for his own stupidity is one less customer who passes on his costs to the rest of us.

Right, and Apple doesn't cover those who do, or who drop their iPads, which the point of the article was the estimated cost to fix it.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    So this thread has no meaning. I think that was obvious from the start, but at least now the OP has been cornered into admitting it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So this thread has no meaning. I think that was obvious from the start, but at least now the OP has been cornered into admitting it.

Sure it does, you drop your iPad and if the screen breaks, it's not covered by warranty or AppleCare as it's not a result of Apple's manufacturing (like Mr. Me misunderstood in his/her post).

The estimate is $600 to fix it according to the article, to get less expensive later as more parts become available.

You can't shoot the messenger every time you hear something you don't like.

For instance a few years back, some neighbors of mine were strict religious types that watch little TV or read the papers or go on line to get their information. I had to tell them once that just on the other side of their house a young man was shot and killed by a home invader.

This of course shocked them silly and they didn't like me at first scaring them, but they realized the errors of not remaining in touch with all information sources. As a result we together went around and beefed up their home security.

Now one article isn't going to stop people from buying a iPad, but those who read this article will consider taking better measures to protect the device from their own mistakes realizing the costs involved in fixing the device out of warranty.

Now Doctor, if you think this thread is meaningless, then you need to have your head examined, preferable by another Doctor.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Nonsense, as usual. You seem to possess an endless supply.

Who in the entire world expects to have a product repaired under warranty if they break it?

The problems with the "estimated" costs of repair have already been pointed out. You, predictably, have ignored them.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Nonsense, as usual. You seem to possess an endless supply.

Your really trying hard to start a flame war and I'm just toying with you.

Perhaps you need to find out what is bothering you that you need to be so antagonistic.

Quote:

Who in the entire world expects to have a product repaired under warranty if they break it?

Apparently Mr. Me does and a lot of other folks, why Apple placed liquid sensors in their devices to thwart such returns. Also the questions Apple Store folks ask when you bring a defective product back to them, "did you drop this or sit on it" etc., etc.

Quote:

The problems with the "estimated" costs of repair have already been pointed out. You, predictably, have ignored them.

Care to elaborate?

Note: get back with you Tuesday, time to go have a great holiday weekend!

cheers all. enjoy!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    This whole thread is just another lame attempt to find a chink in the iPad armor. When announced, it was just a big iPod; people were still excited. It was missing too many crucial features; people didn't care. Only an idiot would pre-order something they have never seen or held; pre-orders sold out. Once people see them, they will be unimpressed; Apple can't make enough of them to meet the growing demand. People will quickly get bored of this limited toy; satisfaction is over 90%. The rest of the world is more sensible; the black market is thriving and the legit market is mostly sold out. Now, these things will cost too much to repair; there are no widespread reports of problems with damaged screens.

Keep trying. Someone is bound to come up with a real deal-breaker, eventually.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Apparently Mr. Me does and a lot of other folks, why Apple placed liquid sensors in their devices to thwart such returns. Also the questions Apple Store folks ask when you bring a defective product back to them, "did you drop this or sit on it" etc., etc.

Mr. Me is still here and can speak for himself, thank you very much. Understand this if it is possible for you to do so. Mr. Me is an adult. Adults and people who behave as adults do not expect warranties to cover damage that they caused unless it is specifically listed as a covered item.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

This whole thread is just another lame attempt to find a chink in the iPad armor. When announced, it was just a big iPod; people were still excited. It was missing too many crucial features; people didn't care. Only an idiot would pre-order something they have never seen or held; pre-orders sold out. Once people see them, they will be unimpressed; Apple can't make enough of them to meet the growing demand. People will quickly get bored of this limited toy; satisfaction is over 90%. The rest of the world is more sensible; the black market is thriving and the legit market is mostly sold out. Now, these things will cost too much to repair; there are no widespread reports of problems with damaged screens.

Keep trying. Someone is bound to come up with a real deal-breaker, eventually.

There's a new variant: when the iPad has absolutely beyond a doubt proven its utility and appeal, just assume that some non-specified Android tablet will be just as good.

Quote:

Over the past week, I have fallen in love with the thing. And so I am telling you why........It may be the best email device I have ever owned.......... It's replaced our kitchen computer on our kitchen countertop. It's become a member of our family. And when visitors come over, they love to use it. It's great at a party.

Followed by

Quote:

I realized that I had become smitten with it yesterday when I was headed to a place I like to grab a cup of coffee and a bite to eat and read alone before work. When I go to this place, I take out my Google phone and read blogs and occasionally do some email. I wanted to take the iPad with me but decided not to so it could stay at home on the kitchen counter. Then I thought seriously about getting another iPad just for me. I'm not going to do that just yet, but the urge is there. I'll probably wait for the first Android tablet and get that for my personal use.

Notice the segue from "iPad" to "tablet" to "Android tablet", as if the author's zeal for the iPad, specifically, could be attributed to tablets in general of which the iPad just happens to be the example at hand. Never mind that there were plenty of tablets to "fall in love with" prior to the iPad and that they were apparently lacking; now that Apple has demonstrated how it's done we have to consider the entire concept to be a generic catagory which your manufacturer of choice may reasonably clone to precisely the same effect (albeit, inevitably, with Flash or better specs or more ports or teh Openess).

The comments, which the author participates in, make clear that there's little Apple love thereabouts; apparently he considers it a mark of his free thinking that he's willing to hold his nose and appreciated a product from that company with the asshole demographic, at least until he can get a version from someone he likes better. He seems to never consider the idea that the very things that make the iPad so nice to use, so "personal", are all the little details that Apple worked long and hard to get exactly right. Or that it's exactly those little details that are most likely to be glossed over or ignored by the next manufacturer to slap Android on their formerly WinMo tablet.

I would call this the refuge of last resort for the endemic Apple hater-- freely acknowledging the basic excellence of an Apple product while simultaneously pretending that that excellence is just a matter of adhering to what are suddenly the norms of a suddenly pre-existing category, and waiting eagerly for someone else to do it "better" (i.e. without the encumbrance of being an Apple product).

Once the Android tablets start shipping we can be absolutely sure that the same people that dismissed the iPad as underpowered, running "just a phone" OS, occupying a completely untenable middle ground between phone and netbook, and offering an awkward compromise of form and utility, will celebrate those very things (when properly Google-fied) as being Right and Inevitable and just another example of how Apple is "falling behind."
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

There's a new variant: when the iPad has absolutely beyond a doubt proven its utility and appeal, just assume that some non-specified Android tablet will be just as good.

Followed by

Notice the segue from "iPad" to "tablet" to "Android tablet", as if the author's zeal for the iPad, specifically, could be attributed to tablets in general of which the iPad just happens to be the example at hand. Never mind that there were plenty of tablets to "fall in love with" prior to the iPad and that they were apparently lacking; now that Apple has demonstrated how it's done we have to consider the entire concept to be a generic catagory which your manufacturer of choice may reasonably clone to precisely the same effect (albeit, inevitably, with Flash or better specs or more ports or teh Openess).

Your observations were brilliant.

When I read the article, I, too, observed that the iPad became just one of many in a particular genre of device. Never mind the fact that Apple created the genre of consumer facing tablet. And never mind the greater fact that the "many" have yet to materialize. Waiting on other devices to hit the market because "competition is good for the consumer", has become the favorite sport of the iPad loving, Apple hater.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Care to elaborate?

You mean repeat myself? No thanks.