Czech report says iPhone 4G will sport dense, 960x640 IPS display

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just over a week before the fourth generation iPhone is expected to debut at Apple's WWDC, prototype screen components of the new model have reportedly appeared, this time in the Czech Republic.

According to a report by SuperiPhone.cz, the next iPhone will sport a high resolution screen using conventional IPS LCD technology similar to iPad.

A close look at the new iPhone's screen

The Czech site reported on a screen component it says will be used on the new iPhone, detailing its specifications under a microscope. It compared the high resolution new iPhone panel and its "amazing" 320 pixel per inch display against the existing HTC HD2 (217 ppi), the Verizon/Motorola Droid (265 ppi) and Google's Nexus One (252 pip).

Unlike the AMOLED panel used by Google's Nexus One, the iPhone's new screen will feature the same regular, uniform grid of red, green and blue display elements. The Nexus One's screen uses a "PenTile" grid, reportedly to reduce costs, which packs smaller green pixel components between red and blue elements. This irregular arrangement of subpixel elements results in the Nexus One providing a less accurate display of lines on the screen.

The IPS screen technology Apple uses (from the iMac to the iPad) provides wide viewing angles, a more accurate color gamut, and fewer potential problems in production. OLED screens are plagued with manufacturing issues, production is constrained, and nobody is manufacturing the screens in large numbers.

Dealing with more pixels

At a reported 960 x 640 resolution, the new display will make it easy for the new model to render existing iPhone apps via pixel doubling, while also giving Apple bragging rights to the highest pixel density on a mainstream smartphone screen.

Apps can also be optimized to take advantage of the new resolution, much the same way that existing iPhone apps can be adapted to support the iPad's higher resolution, while being distributed from the App Store as a single package that can run on any phone.

Developers on other platforms have a more complicated task of adapting their apps to work optimally on a variety of different resolutions, and may be less likely to choose to support less higher resolutions due to aiming at the lowest common denominator specifications.

Apple's control over the iTunes App Store experience makes it easier for the company to incentivize developers to support its latest hardware technologies and promote those advances to users so they are interested in paying for them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Thanks for ruining it for all those people saying how lame Apple was for not using OLED screens! NOW what are they going to complain about?!...
  • Reply 2 of 107
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Thanks for ruining it for all those people saying how lame Apple was for not using OLED screens! NOW what are they going to complain about?!...

I'm sure others will complain about it not using OLED even though it's only a marketing catchphrase.

Text rendering on this must be crazy.
  • Reply 3 of 107
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    A much better screen is a welcome addition to the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    Quote:

"Why is the iPhone's screen smaller than the iPad?"

"How come I can't create or edit Excel documents on it?"

"Why doesn't the camera come with a telephoto zoom lens?"

"Where's Final Cut Pro?"

"How come there's no app to connect to the Hubble Space Telescope?"

"Why won't AT&T let me make calls for free so I don't have to use their service?"

"Why isn't Steve Jobs' cell number pre-installed in the Contacts?"

And finally...

"Where's Flash?"

GTSC
  • Reply 5 of 107
    serkolserkol Posts: 39member
    A welcome change indeed. It's a shame that Apple still uses crappy TN screens in MacBook Pro. They should use IPS screens in all their products.
  • Reply 6 of 107
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Developers on other platforms have a more complicated task of adapting their apps to work optimally on a variety of different resolutions, and may be less likely to choose to support less higher resolutions due to aiming at the lowest common denominator specifications.

less, less, higher and lowest--all in one subordinate phrase! I'm not going for grammar police here, I just can't parse this. It seems to be indicating that developers will be less likely to support lower (less higher) screen resolutions because they are aiming for the lowest common denominator--that can't be right. Must be an extra "less" in there somewhere...
  • Reply 7 of 107
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

I really don't get your point at all. The screen is high-res, that's great, but it's still an LCD. That means washed out blacks, low contrast, and an overall flat look.

When you've seen a good OLED screen (Nexus One), an LCD just looks weak by comparison. A high-res LCD isn't going to fix that.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Neat.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    Wont be able to play the 720p video its supposed to be able to record, at least not in full resolution? Am I missing something?
  • Reply 10 of 107
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnTopOfABerg View Post

Wont be able to play the 720p video its supposed to be able to record, at least not in full resolution? Am I missing something?

You are correct. But then again, neither can an iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 107
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I really don't get your point at all. The screen is high-res, that's great, but it's still an LCD. That means washed out blacks, low contrast, and an overall flat look.

When you've seen a good OLED screen (Nexus One), an LCD just looks weak by comparison. A high-res LCD isn't going to fix that.

Whatever the subjective qualities of each may be, the fact is that an OLED screen is over-saturated, overly-contrasty, and overly pixelated, by design.

The LCD screen may "look weak" to you, but objectively it's a far better screen in terms of accurately reproducing colours, reading text, performance in sunlight and almost every measure except perhaps the depth of the black.
  • Reply 12 of 107
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

It's a smartphone which is an all-purpose device. You make it seem as if there aren't any drawbacks. It is poor in sunlight and text doesn't look as good compared to the current iPhone. The Nexus One also has color banding. These are the reasons it is more hype than anything else. The current-gen of OLED screens are simply "not there" yet.

Read Arstechnica's review of the N1 screen:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-and-hacks.ars

MobileCrunch's review of the N1 screen:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/02/...o-the-iphones/
  • Reply 13 of 107
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

You, know, I have an LCD cinema display at home.

Where exactly is the "low contrast and washed out blacks"?

Have you even used one?

Quote:

When you've seen a good OLED screen (Nexus One), an LCD just looks weak by comparison.

Yes, that's the MARKETING pitch.

ACTUAL tests and reviews show that the LCD screen is BETTER.

http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_iPhone_ShootOut.htm
  • Reply 14 of 107
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by serkol View Post

A welcome change indeed. It's a shame that Apple still uses crappy TN screens in MacBook Pro. They should use IPS screens in all their products.

Maybe in the next ones. Notebook IPS displays aren't currently made.
  • Reply 15 of 107
    willychuwillychu Posts: 10member
    But I'd rather have a screen you can use outside. I hear that OLED screens are unusable in the sun. My iPhone LCD is still very readable in direct sunlight. What is your experience?
  • Reply 16 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

You are correct. But then again, neither can an iPad.

Ok, so it's not the resolution that decides whether you can play 720p or not? Is that apple?
  • Reply 17 of 107
    jaketherockjaketherock Posts: 286member
    Quote:

Hahaha, it seems we have our winner...

Quote:

• Reply 18 of 107
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Quote:

You're missing that you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 960x640 on a 3" screen unless you have bionic vision.

Sheese...
  • Reply 19 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

"Waah! LCD came out in the 1970s. I can't believe Apple is using a technology from the 1970s. They always screw their customers with this crappy outdated tech."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by serkol View Post

There is room for a better display, but their notebook displays are not crappy.

Quote:

It looks like you've proved everyone's point. Next time you get opinion make sure you are looking at the entirety of the thing so you can form an intelligent decision, not just a single aspect as everything has pros and cons associated with it.

PS: Even if OLED was better on every front over IPS with an LED backlight your comment then forces Apple to make only sell a fraction of the iPhones they will be selling each year. Does that really make sense to you?

Quote:

Sure it will. Have you never seen a video or still camera record in one resolution and then display the video or image on a tiny LCD built into the camera? It does change the source input or the processing ability of the device in any way.

PS: Note what the pixel density of an HDTV is. They are getting larger but the resolution is staying the same which means the pixel density is getting smaller. For a 60" 16:9 HDTV (37ppi) this rumoured G4 iPhone display (320ppi) has 8.7x as many pixels per inch. There is nothing to complain about.
  • Reply 20 of 107
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Awesome, pretty informative article. I think I understand better the difference between apple's screen IPS technology and AMOLED.