Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months

Comments

• Reply 101 of 265
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

iPhone vs iPad

The other lesson here: As spectacular or useful the iPad might be, there is room for other devices -- considering the six billion target audience. Among them are those are people who wnat the same thing but would rather die owning anything made by Apple.

CGC

Different people have different preferences, but I don't know anyone willing to die over them. I hate Windows, but I own a copy for VMWare. Don't worry, I'm not going to kill myself now.

I think that some of these companies will realize the hard way that people don't like a product that is thrown on the market and then not supported. I think some of them have realized it and that is why we have seen all these products retracted before going on sale.

Kinda like video game systems, I see room in the market for no more then three companies.
  • Reply 102 of 265
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

You misunderstood my grammar. '3G' - the plural of '3G' is '3Gs'. I didn't say 3GS (with capital 'S') and didn't mean 3GS, the model. Funny grammar rules in our language make it unclear sometimes, but my grammar was correct and my logic was perfect.

Unless we get a specialized character to indicate pluralization or a new rule that dissalows any word from ending with 's' would then make that a specialized character to indicate pluralization, then we'll have to do our best to prevent ambiguous statements. Since the point of true communication is to get one's point across then it's up to the writer first, the reader second.

I've seen the use of an apostrophe 's' when there is clearly no possesion to indicate more than one. You can also do as you did above and use quotes to separate the subject. However, in this case the 'iPhone 3G' could have been used as a single unit without confusing the reader and still referring to the millions of 'iPhone 3G's that have been sold. My reply to that post, which I later edited, actually addressed your comment from both aspects, but since it otherwise identity in content to Melgross' reply I removed it.

There really isn't enough RAM to feasibly offer multitasking in the first two iPhones. There have been plenty of arguments from the day the iPhone was announced in January as to why it could have it but they are all erroneous.

Have phones that were much slower and with much less RAM had multitasking for years? Absolutely, but they were all using mobile OSes designed for much slower HW and with less features. The iPhone uses a streamlined version of Mac OS X but that doesn't mean it's not a hefty mobile OS. Windows Mobile has nothing in common with Windows desktop except for the name and some UI elements which they copied.

Can you jailbreak your iPhone to add multitasking? Absolutely, but it's poor experience that is completely opposite from Apple has ever offered. I and many others have tested the RAM uses since we could jailbreak our iPhones and there is simply not enough for those devices to work well within reason of the entire device. The user experience (UX) would have been hurt if they did that.

There are many arguments for what is technically possible and what is reasonably possible. Another is the maximum video playback allowed on the iPhone. The Imagantion chips for the GPU and decoding can technically do HD, even 1080p, but it would hurt the UX if they allowed you to load 1080p video that would stutter while draining your battery quickly as a result. Flash 10.1 on the Nexus One, which is superior to the 3GS in every way, is still having that problem with video much lower than "HD quality".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

This is entirely different...

Suffice it to say, I guarantee that the scenario I mentioned above will be stated by trolls and pundits across the Net. If they call Apple releasing a new product each year "fragmentation" then it only makes sense that they'd jump on Apple offering v4.0 to the the iPhone and Touch and not the iPad.
  • Reply 103 of 265
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not the iPhone OS per se. Jailbreaking shows that the functionality is often there. Apple just has to get over the idea that so many restrictions aren't helping them as much as they think they are.

Apparently there are millions of happy customers that don't agree with you. Perhaps it is you, and others of the same mindset, that "just have to get over the idea" that Apple is trying to "please everyone all of the time". They aren't, nor should they be. Apple has, by it's track record, shown itself to be excellent at choosing the proper marketplace to be in. I'm happy to concede that they are better at that then I am. The question is: why aren't you?
  • Reply 104 of 265
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Assuming that they could get the name, that would work too.

Apple's had a history of not giving a damn of who owns a name. (See iPhone and iPad).

I think TouchOS would be better because it sounds better than iOS and it's something that customers could relate more to when taking into account the interaction between the user and the device. Also, another "i" name seems to be getting a little stagnant. There can be a point to abusing it.
  • Reply 105 of 265
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:

You have to be clearer when you write. Many people forget to capitalize the final s. It reads as 3GS.

Even so, you're still wrong. As I pointed out, the 3G has only 128MB RAM, not enough for multitasking. The 3GS has 256MB, as does the iPad. Enough to squeak by.

Oh, you're making me laugh, and in a good way, please don't take it the wrong way, but the fact is that I'm not responsible for others' grammar misunderstandings. I was perfectly clear, I understand grammar rules sometimes aren't, but I followed them and it's not my fault it wasn't clear. Perhaps we should propose to the Queen that we clean up this mess of a language which we speak!

As for being wrong, I fail to understand why you think I'm wrong. The 3G in a jail break situation can multi-task (correct me if I'm wrong here) - the point I was making is that Apple chooses not to allow the 3G to have multi-tasking, which means it's something other than ability to multi-task as their reason for not supporting it.

People think the only reasons not to allow multi-tasking are (and the poster to whom I was responding implied), because Apple is 1) controlling, 2) slow at technology adoption or 3) some other criticism of Apple (take your pick).

Apple has said 128MB RAM is not enough, but the reason I can assume is that the experience of using it with that limited amount of memory will not make it a good experience. I support their decision, and I can't wait for the new iPhone so I can dump my current 3G and get the new one (with multi-tasking). I don't think all Apple's decisions are perfect, but in ones like this, I trust them.

Hopefully, I've clarified my point because I believe we're both agreeing here.
  • Reply 106 of 265
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apparently there are millions of happy customers that don't agree with you. Perhaps it is you, and others of the same mindset, that "just have to get over the idea" that Apple is trying to "please everyone all of the time". They aren't, nor should they be. Apple has, by it's track record, shown itself to be excellent at choosing the proper marketplace to be in. I'm happy to concede that they are better at that then I am. The question is: why aren't you?

Oh, I am definitely better at this than you are. No doubt.

You don't know anything about my thoughts, as I'm the one here who usually says that Apple shouldn't be aiming for that last few percent.

But, here, it's not the last few percent. It will be a much bigger percent.

Apple has announced, or at least Jobs has said in an e-mail, that we will get printing support. Great. No printing retards all computers, iPads included. But how much easier would it be with a built-in USB port? Much easier. That's something that MOST iPad owners would appreciate. I use a program called PrintBureau to print. But it requires server software on my Mac, and I have to print through the computer on the network. It's a great solution for when you can use it. But if I'm somewhere else, I can't.

I don't defend Apple no matter what. They make mistakes.
  • Reply 107 of 265
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

LogMeIn is available for IT/web site maintenance. It works great. There are a few html editors for making simple changes too.

Thanks for the advice. I checked out LogMeIn but it is not quite what I want. What I need is ftp, ssh, text editor and the ability to create/edit/save files with .php, .html, .pl, and .xml file extensions.

I think the main problem in trying to use iPhone OS to do this kind of work is the inability to save files. I suppose if I just had ssh I could get by, but I would rather be able to edit the files locally so I don't time out of my session.
  • Reply 108 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Apple's had a history of not giving a damn of who owns a name. (See iPhone and iPad).

I think TouchOS would be better because it sounds better than iOS and it's something that customers could relate more to when taking into account the interaction between the user and the device. Also, another "i" name seems to be getting a little stagnant. There can be a point to abusing it.

I think iOS sounds better, but each to his own.
  • Reply 109 of 265
    Quote:

I don't think anything is contradictory. The more than can be done, the more valuable it will be. Apple wants to clear a path to how they want something done. That doesn't always mean that it's the way WE want to do it.

There are lots of companies that think the same way as you. Maybe these companies are more suitable for you. Fortunately, Apple is teaching a whole bunch of us that "less is more".
  • Reply 110 of 265
    Quote:

Oh, you're making me laugh, and in a good way, please don't take it the wrong way, but the fact is that I'm not responsible for others' grammar misunderstandings. I was perfectly clear, I understand grammar rules sometimes aren't, but I followed them and it's not my fault it wasn't clear. Perhaps we should propose to the Queen that we clean up this mess of a language which we speak!

Apparently, I'm not the only one who didn't understand you. I wouldn't be surprised if there were others who just didn't want to respond.

Quote:

As for being wrong, I fail to understand why you think I'm wrong. The 3G in a jail break situation can multi-task (correct me if I'm wrong here) - the point I was making is that Apple chooses not to allow the 3G to have multi-tasking, which means it's something other than ability to multi-task as their reason for not supporting it.

People think the only reasons not to allow multi-tasking are (and the poster to whom I was responding implied), because Apple is 1) controlling, 2) slow at technology adoption or 3) some other criticism of Apple (take your pick).

Apple has said 128MB RAM is not enough, but the reason I can assume is that the experience of using it with that limited amount of memory will not make it a good experience. I support their decision, and I can't wait for the new iPhone so I can dump my current 3G and get the new one (with multi-tasking). I don't think all Apple's decisions are perfect, but in ones like this, I trust them.

Hopefully, I've clarified my point because I believe we're both agreeing here.

As sol also pointed out, 128MB RAM is not enough. Just because it works poorly when jailbroken doesn't mean that that qualifies as actually WORKING. If your car ran at a max of 40 miler per hour, and constantly jerked down the road, you would get rid of it. It wouldn't be "working". That's what a jailbroken 3G does when multitasking.

I don't believe that I said that Apple wasn't extending it to old models because they were controlling. But, there are things Apple IS dong that is a matter of them wanting to control our way of doing things, and what apps we can buy.

I can understand them needing to adhere to any contracts they have signed with the carriers, such as AT&T. But not allowing satirical apps because they make fun of some public figure is going too far, in my opinion. As long as its not illegal, they should allow it. And in that vein, why are they now allowing online gambling apps? That's nuts!

I also have a 3G, and intend, when our contract is up in early September, to get rid of the three we have, and get three new ones. I imagine the 3GS will be there for $99 for the 16B version at that time, so people can upgrade to it if spending more is too much.
  • Reply 111 of 265
    Quote:

Apple has announced, or at least Jobs has said in an e-mail, that we will get printing support. Great. No printing retards all computers, iPads included. But how much easier would it be with a built-in USB port? Much easier.

I disagree with both of those. I have never heard anyone complain that they were near a printer and couldn't print directly from their iDevice. I only print once a year for taxes, but i won't be doing them on my iPhone.

I also can't see Apple replacing the 30-pin connector with a USB port. It's nice to have the same port work for so many cables and devices for many years. At a friends, I can even plug my iPhone into the iPad Dock to charge. Which port do they use, because I don't think USB-A or USB-B would fit? It would have to be Mini-USB or Micro-USB, both of which I personally despise.

Then there is an issue with the extra pins Apple adds to the 30-pin connector to allow longterm expansion of the port. I don't think the FireWire pins are even in use. They offer direct video out which I don't think USB can do without first having an adapter that converts the signaling. Eventually Apple can add support for 'HD' quality output. Since these will only be adapters, not convertors it will be likely much cheaper than other any signal conversion from USB to HDMI, for example, and be a cheap and reliable product found on Monoprice.

PS: I recently moved from having a largest physical PO Box that they offer to having the smallest as in the last 5 years my snail mail has dropped off considerably. Oh how times have changed.
  • Reply 112 of 265
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:

I'm amazed at how much more useful many of those universal apps are on my iPad as opposed to how they are on my iPhone, though when I got them for the phone, they seemed very good.

As someone who hasn't had the chance to try an iPad, can I just ask you how these universal apps work. Do they look and work the same as the iPhone version, just in higher resolution, or do they have special features that "come alive" when installed on an iPad?
  • Reply 113 of 265
    Quote:

But not allowing satirical apps because they make fun of some public figure is going too far, in my opinion.

That was pretty poor judgment. Haven't they since lifted that ban?

Quote:

I also have a 3G, and intend, when our contract is up in early September, to get rid of the three we have, and get three new ones. I imagine the 3GS will be there for $99 for the 16B version at that time, so people can upgrade to it if spending more is too much.

I couldn't believe how much faster the 3GS felt over the 3G so if you are going for the G4 iPhone I suspect you are in for a real treat.
  • Reply 114 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

There are lots of companies that think the same way as you. Maybe these companies are more suitable for you. Fortunately, Apple is teaching a whole bunch of us that "less is more".

Do you know what you're talking about? I don't think so. I enjoy my iPad very much, but I would enjoy it more with a few additions, WHICH APPLE SELLS IN THEIR STORE.

Get it? They provide it, but we have to buy it. absurd.

By the way, we have four Macs at home, five including my daughter's MacBook Pro which is usually in England, and four iPhones, one usually in England, and so far, one iPad, soon to be two.

That's just current equipment. I've personally owned at least ten over the years, and my wife and daughter another 6 or so. I've bought almost 300 for my own company over the years, going back to 1988, until my partner and I sold the company five years ago, and I'm responsible for the New York City school system's increase in spending for Macs over the years, and so can rightly claim to be responsible for several hundred thousand more Macs purchased than would otherwise be the case.

I've also got a fair amount of stock in the company.

So when you say I would be happier elsewhere, you're nuts, as Jobs would say.
  • Reply 115 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That was pretty poor judgment. Haven't they since lifted that ban?

As far as I know, no.

Quote:

I couldn't believe how much faster the 3GS felt over the 3G so if you are going for the G4 iPhone I suspect you are in for a real treat.

If Apple runs the cpu at the same speed as they do for the iPad, and don't slow it down, no doubt.
  • Reply 116 of 265
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:

Unless we get a specialized character to indicate pluralization or a new rule that dissalows any word from ending with 's' would then make that a specialized character to indicate pluralization, then we'll have to do our best to prevent ambiguous statements. Since the point of true communication is to get one's point across then it's up to the writer first, the reader second.

Yes, but when the writer uses perfect grammar, it is the responsibility of the reader to understand what is written. The writer should never be concerned that someone might misunderstand perfect grammar, that's silly, otherwise there's no point communicating if you have to worry that someone may misunderstand what you've perfectly said.

Quote:

I've seen the use of an apostrophe 's' when there is clearly no possesion to indicate more than one. You can also do as you did above and use quotes to separate the subject. However, in this case the 'iPhone 3G' could have been used as a single unit without confusing the reader and still referring to the millions of 'iPhone 3G's that have been sold.

An apostrophe is absolutely used by many people, and every time they do, they are wrong. As you say an apostrophe indicates possession, the fact so many use it doesn't make it right, it just makes it wrong in many, many instances. Single quotes don't make it right either if you put the plural indication outside the quote, as that is separating the word from its plural. I used it correctly, and this conversation about grammar is detracting us from what is much more interesting, and that is multi-tasking and the new iPhone OS. Let's get back to that discussion, it's much more interesting.
  • Reply 117 of 265
    Quote:

As far as I know, no.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...r-winners-app/

Quote:

If Apple runs the cpu at the same speed as they do for the iPad, and don't slow it down, no doubt.

Going from about 412MHz ARM11 to a 600MHz Cortex-A8 with double the RAM and likely faster NAND was a huge bump in itself. So much so that I hope that the new package-on-package and system-on-chip design for the A4 is not running at 1GHz, like the iPad.

Even if the battery times have doubled while using a 1GHz A4 I still don't think it's enough to warrant going that much faster over the 3GS. This is why I suspect it's clocked in the 800's. We know they upped the battery by 16.4% and the based on my calculations (which unfortunately comprises of a lot of guesswork) I think that we'll see an average 15% extra battery time across the board, even with the 4x more pixel and non-TN display rumoured to be coming.
  • Reply 118 of 265
    Quote:

Oh, I am definitely better at this than you are. No doubt.

To quote Mac Davis ; Oh Lord, its hard to be humble.

Quote:

But, here, it's not the last few percent. It will be a much bigger percent.

And you know this ... how?

Quote:

No printing retards all computers, iPads included.

This would be your opinion, right? ... not necessarily a fact.

It seems to me that a lot informed people are in the habit of refering to the iPad as a "media device". Even Apple says: " iPad isn?t just the best device of its kind. It?s a whole new kind of device."

When I first heard of the iPad I thought ..what the hell is that all about? ... but then I started to think about what I do most on my 24" iMac ... seems like a lot of people (myself included) are discovering, judging by their adoption of the iPad, that the majority of the time is spent on the consumption of media, rather than the creation of same. In this case, no printer is needed, and since the iPad is usually partnered with a computer of some kind that would seem to be where the printing is taken care of.

The bottom line is, I think, if you're trying to do all the "traditional" computer things on an iPad ... you've misunderstod what its all about, as I did in the beginning.
  • Reply 119 of 265
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Perhaps it's an experiment. Apple may have future plans for wireless syncing and wants to push usage and development in that direction. If this doesn't work out the way they plan, they can always add USB to the next version.

Quote:

Frankly, I think it's remiss of them to not have done so. Maybe they think that would depreciate the 30 pin connector and allow docks they don't want to have, but I think it's an unnecessary restriction.

• Reply 120 of 265
    Quote:

Yes, but when the writer uses perfect grammar, it is the responsibility of the reader to understand what is written

As the reader I addressed BOTH uses due to it's ambiguity due to the frequently lazy nature of message boards. As the writer you need to be proactive. Regardless if you are technically accurate, your goal is to communicate your idea, which requires understanding your audience. In this case, the audience, also writers on this forum, often use it incorrectly, as Melgross stated.

You can see from the number of posts that both Melgross and I have been on this forum for some time. You can look at our specific posting history to know that we often try to be clear in our writing. If Melgross had wrote what you wrote, iPhone 3Gs, it wouldn't have been ambiguous to me because of my familiarities with his posting style. I'll take note of yours but there isn't years of history for me to understand the person behind the comment at this time, hence the ambiguity.

It's not a big deal, and you obviously can write well and form good arguments, but I think it's one you should consider when posting on any forum. Unfortunately, this is not the "real world" and you will have all ages, cultures, and education levels reading and replying. When in doubt... clarify.