MS Office apps eating up memory

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have the latest iMac i5 with 4GB of memory; however, 32 bit MS Office and 64 bit MacMail chew up memory like crazy. At this moment, I have less than 1/2 a Gig left. I stopped using Safari because it ate up memory so fast. Chrome is a lot better.

I find that I have to restart Office apps and MacMail periodically or else.

I didn't have this problem with my old G4 with one GiB of memory.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with my iMac?

Is there something I should be doing other that quitting MS Word periodically and then rebooting it? Is letting an Office app stay open a no no?

Any info will be gratefully received.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    As a veteran of this forum, you know that the MacOS X virtual memory system uses as much memory as is available. Lacking evidence to the contrary, it appears that every on your system is as it should be.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

As a veteran of this forum, you know that the MacOS X virtual memory system uses as much memory as is available. Lacking evidence to the contrary, it appears that every on your system is as it should be.

Mea culpa.

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

As a veteran of this forum, you ("SHOULD") know that the MacOS X virtual memory system uses as much memory as is available. Lacking evidence to the contrary, it appears that every on your system is as it should be.

Maybe I should have known, but I haven't read every thread or post on this forum. I don't learn everything on here by osmosis.

However, IF I had read the following article, I most likely would not have asked for help and gotten such a curt reply.

OS X Memory Usage:

http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourma...usage.htm?nl=1
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Okay, MS office can do that!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Maybe I should have known, but I haven't read every thread or post on this forum. I don't learn everything on here by osmosis.

You didn't just miss that article. Apple switched to its current Unix-based OS a decade ago. So you missed every explanation of MacOS X virtual memory for the decade of the 2000s. Let us not forget that UNIX has been around in the mid-1970s. In that time, the knowledge could have gotten through glass via osmosis.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I am so grateful that there are tech types on this forum who take their time to point out the stupidity of those who don't keep up on technology, instead of helping them to understand something.

That just keeps the non techs in the dark and keeps them from asking "dumb" questions that they SHOULD, in some techies' opinions, just know because you do. Maybe non techs should be banned from this forum entirely. It would save you from having to point out their stupidity.