Flurry modifies data collection after being called out by Steve Jobs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After being singled out by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, mobile analytics firm Flurry has said it will comply with changes to the iPhone OS terms of service and respect the company's wishes by not collecting device data.

Speaking at the D8 conference on Tuesday, Jobs mentioned Flurry was using its advertising tools to identify prototype hardware being tested privately on Apple's Cupertino, Calif., campus. He said Apple was "really naive" about what kind of data analytics firms were collecting.

Flurry responded by stating that it has been taking steps to address privacy concerns, and that the company has been in communication with Apple about its changes.

"Regarding sharing some specific aggregated usage statistics, to which Apple is opposed, we will comply with their wishes," Flurry's vice president of marketing Peter Farago told AppleInsider. "Our goal continues to be to add value to the developer ecosystem and be a strong partner to platform providers."

A few weeks ago, Flurry announced its "Privacy First Initiative," a set of developer requirements and product features that include simple, readable "Terms of Service" language, an opt-out switch as part of each application's settings, a mandatory data deletion button, and geographic data no more specific than a metropolitan area. The company has 30,000 customers and its analytics software is found in more than 40,000 applications available for the iPhone, Google Android, and BlackBerry.

Farago said Flurry is also updating its analytics service to comply with section 3.3.9 of the latest iPhone OS developer agreement.

"We will not collect device data," he said. "All in all, the changes required to be in compliance will have little impact on the usefulness we provide to developers about how to improve their applications, and how to continue to increase consumer satisfaction."

Flurry made headlines in January when it boasted that it had tracked 50 suspected Apple tablets on the company's campus days before the iPad was officially unveiled. The company said it had been tracking such devices, running iPhone OS 3.2, since October of 2009.

Jobs said the changes to the iPhone software development kit were not intended to fight off competition for its own iAd mobile advertising platform. He said Apple isn't looking to make money off of iAd, but to help its developers profit from their applications for the iPhone and iPad.

Jobs, who was noticeably agitated when discussing the matter, signaled that Apple could become more flexible with firms like Flurry in the future.

"After we calm down from being pissed off, then we're willing to talk to some of these analytics firms," he said. "But it's not today."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"After we calm down from being pissed off, then we're willing to talk to some of these analytics firms," he said. "But it's not today."

Go Steve go!
  • Reply 2 of 50
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Flurry should have known when they reported data on unreleased apple products that they were doing something wrong. It's unfortunate that they handled it this way as it may be useful for developers to know what hardware mix their app is running on as there are differences between iPhone/iPod touch/iPad/iPad 3G and across generations of these devices. Certainly there should be a way to provide this sort of information to developers without providing information on unannounced products.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    This is good hardball.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:

.... He said Apple isn't looking to make money off of iAd, but to help its developers profit from their applications for the iPhone and iPad.

Why they take the 40% share from what the developer earns from the ads ? Steve, I really tried, but you make it extremely difficult for other to believe your lies.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    degackzdegackz Posts: 1member
    > Flurry responded by stating that it has been taking steps to address privacy concerns

No Flurry, your analytics are already dead.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Why they take the 40% share from what the developer earns from the ads ? Steve, I really tried, but you make it extremely difficult for other to believe your lies.

To break even.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    tomozjtomozj Posts: 54member
    Quote:

This sort of percentage seems to be used generally in the industry, so it's not just an Apple issue. And as mentioned before, someone has to pay for this stuff. These apps are being hosted on the App Store for 'free', so Apple could be getting some of their money back via this iAd service (which would result in more free apps being available, imo).
  • Reply 8 of 50
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

Not that I want to defend Apple on this one, but the developer is still making more than they could any other way. They get "higher quality" ads that charge a higher rate, and they actually share in the revenue. The alternative is that they rent out space in their application, and their rental rate is much lower.

If the product is successful, then both Apple and the developer will make good money off of it, but the success of iAd is a function of how hard Apple works at it, not the developer!
  • Reply 9 of 50
    appdevappdev Posts: 61member
    Quote:

Well, let's see. Apple is running the Ad network, they are hosting and serving the ads, they are incurring the bandwidth costs (these are rich ads that can have audio, video, ...), the need a marketing team to promote the Ad network offerings, they need a sales team to bring in and deal with the advertisers. Apple will be incurring a lot of costs here.

As a developer how much work are you doing again? O yeah, embedding the ad in your app. \
  • Reply 10 of 50
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Does Steve really let his emotions get in the way of business?

Wow.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Wow.

Obviously not! Have you ever tried to have a meaningful discussion when being pissed off with the person you are talking to? It leads nowhere.

First you need to calm down. And that is exactly what he said they are doing.

Good luck with your business plans if you pretend to be cool when you are really upset.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Do you know the profit cut of adsense google takes? Maybe it's 99%, maybe it's 1%, at least Apple is open about it.

With google profit margin at around 28%, while "the greedy" Apple's profit margin's around 21%, I find it hard to believe that google's cut is anything less than 50%.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sounds like the makers of Little Snitch needs to make a iphone and ipad version. I use little snitch to block out going information form my computer that I do not wants others knowing about, so many apps these days are send back user information and the stuff.

These should be an app that allows you to block return path information.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It's actually a fair percentage given the services provided. Do you have any business experience, or is this all armchair speculation on your part?
  • Reply 15 of 50
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Wow.

Your comments really need to be deleted. he made Apple one of the most successful companies in the world from company that was 90 days from bankrupt. The stock is growing, iPad is successful and you are questioning is business sense in terms of emotions.

Stop being native understand what he said and why he said it. basically Flurry was collecting data on secret development products without Apple knowing and breaking their rules. Then Flurry had the 'cheek' to publish the data.

Good for CEOs to show controlled emotions and ensure the message is understood!
  • Reply 16 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Yes they said they are taking 40%, but that is not profits, profit what you keep after you pay the bills. Why do you think apple has said they itunes does not really make money, because of all the infrastructure needed to support itunes costs lots of money and apple's cut from each sale pays these expenses.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    I have an officially unlocked iPhone 3GS and a 3GiPad -- both jailbroken, and both have an App called PrivaCy installed to block anonymous usage stats to Flurry, Medialets, Mobclix and Pinch Media.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

Wow.

don't you have that backwards? Steve is waiting so emotions don't get in the way.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    How the hell were apps that were doing this stuff making it through the approval process!? Just what the HELL goes into approving an app anyways?

THAT is where Apple should have caught it. They didn't invest money into a concrete and thorough approval process and it came back and bit them in the ass. They should be equally pissed of at themselves.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Your user name is significant? Just asking.