AT&T sold out of iPhone 3G before Apple's next-gen announcement

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With just a few days to go before Apple is expected to formally announce its fourth-generation iPhone, the low-end iPhone 3G is now reportedly out of stock at U.S. carrier AT&T.

Boy Genius Report on Friday published an internal memo allegedly from AT&T, informing stores that the 8GB iPhone 3G, first released in 2008, is completely out of stock.

Effective immediately, iPhone 3G 8GB is Out of Stock. Please refer all customers to iPhone 3GS 16 GB and 32 GB models.

FAQ:

Q: When will we receive inventory for iPhone 3G 8GB?

A: At this time, we do not know when more iPhone 3G 8GB will arrive.

Q: Are there any iPhone 3G 8 GB available in COR if my customer can purchase there?

A: Check with your local COR stores to see if they have any inventory available.

The memo follows a report from last month that alleged that Apple had stopped shipping the iPhone 3G to AT&T stores. At the time, it was also stated that new orders were not being accepted.

It is widely expected that the iPhone 3G will be discontinued, and Apple will replace the $99 price point with last year's iPhone 3GS. Currently, the iPhone 3GS is available in two capacities, at 16GB and 32GB, while the out-of-stock iPhone 3G was 8GB. Customers have also been unable to select 2008-era iPhone on Apple's online store since late May.

On Monday, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs will kick off the annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, Calif. It is expected that he will introduce the fourth-generation iPhone, the design of which is believed to already be known thanks to two high-profile leaked prototypes, as well as pictures of various parts that have surfaced online.

The new iPhone is expected to have a redesigned outer shell and a new higher resolution 960 by 640 pixel IPS display for superior viewing angles. Leaked prototypes have also suggested it will add new capabilities like a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    All will be revealed Monday... You are getting sleepy... very sleepy...
  • Reply 2 of 26
    bikaa-m.bikaa-m. Posts: 16member
    guess my 1st gen iPhone 4GB just became a true classic \
  • Reply 3 of 26
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

All will be revealed Monday... You are getting sleepy... very sleepy...

This will be nothing like Microsoft's announcements.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    i want 700 mhz

that's real 4g

boy would that sell
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Looking forward to the big show!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Bring on the 4G iPhone, I cant wait to pickup mine on Monday after the announcement.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

i want 700 mhz

that's real 4g

boy would that sell

The frequency has nothing to do with 3g verses 4g. 700 mhz just happens to be the spectrum the FCC recovered from TV broadcasters with the switch to digital TV and resold to the cell carriers. The most logical thinkg is for AT&T and Verizon to initially use their new spectrum to roll out LTE without disturbing the existing nets at 850/1900 mhz, but you can bet down the road, LTE will be running on all the bands available.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    It's out of stock because 2 weeks from now (June 18th) the new iPhone will be released and this is their way of preventing people from returning the 3G during the 2-week return window. The 3GS isn't a big deal because we already know it's going to drop down to the $99 entry slot.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Well, I can't wait to get my hands on the new iPhone. Who cares about last year's model?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Well, I can't wait to get my hands on the new iPhone. Who cares about last year's model?

True consumerism in the modern age.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    cadfoolcadfool Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With just a few days to go before Apple is expected to formally announce its fourth-generation iPhone, the low-end iPhone 3G is now reportedly out of stock at U.S. carrier AT&T.

I'll have a 16GB 3G available very soon...without a contract. (Along with a lot of others.)
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I'm not too upset about replacing my iPhone every 2 years. If I'm spending $200 every two years, that's a cost of $8 a month for the phone. For how integral it is in my daily life, that's really pretty cheap.

Obviously, the monthly at&t charges add to the cost but I'm gonna drop to the $15 plan so I'm going to be saving money over the next few years that way.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrENGLISH? View Post

It's out of stock because 2 weeks from now (June 18th) the new iPhone will be released and this is their way of preventing people from returning the 3G during the 2-week return window. The 3GS isn't a big deal because we already know it's going to drop down to the $99 entry slot.

Hmm... It seems to me that it would be tough for Apple to have shipped all these phones to have them available at stores on Monday. I figured that the following Friday, their usual sales day for iPhones, would be the earliest, but I think your hypothesis is even better.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Apple stores are already selling the 3gs 16 for 99 stating 3g is discontinued. I know 2 people that have already been hooked up by the store manager to match the price of walmart. They got this 2 weeks ago

32/64 4g at 199/299 on the way
  • Reply 15 of 26
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm... It seems to me that it would be tough for Apple to have shipped all these phones to have them available at stores on Monday. I figured that the following Friday, their usual sales day for iPhones, would be the earliest, but I think your hypothesis is even better.

If they were actually in stores already, someone would have spoken up by now, if at least to say that they have xx cases of unopened boxes with something in them, sitting in the back and under no cirmunstances can they be opened till Monday (or late Sunday night).
  • Reply 16 of 26
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

i want 700 mhz

that's real 4g

boy would that sell

iWant 3.66 Ghz but I don't expect that anytime soon.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ridikulas View Post

I'm not too upset about replacing my iPhone every 2 years. If I'm spending $200 every two years, that's a cost of $8 a month for the phone. For how integral it is in my daily life, that's really pretty cheap.

Obviously, the monthly at&t charges add to the cost but I'm gonna drop to the $15 plan so I'm going to be saving money over the next few years that way.

Me too..good plan! Plus I sold my first gen iPhone for $80 only about a month ago (pretty good deal). Currently, have had the iPhone 3Gs for over a year now...like you will get the 4G, sell my 3Gs iPhone...go down to $15 data plan, delete any data hungry apps...

Was going to get an iPad 3GS but probably get the wifi only model.

I feel I'm being charged to death with data plans, cell plans, text plans, cable TV and cable internet. Aghhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ridikulas View Post

I like the way you think. The world isn't ending by at&t's hand now is it?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I like the way you think. The world isn't ending by at&t's hand now is it?

Dudes, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I got the EVO 4G today and it's truly impressive if you want hardware and wicked software. The tethering just worked. The 4G just worked. The phone is awesome, eye catching, gorgeous, and solid unlike its junky HD2 cousin.

The only downsides were that it's not stupid proof with only 1 way to do something and limited options for interactions so there's a bit of a learning curve, and the setup process was more painful than I'm use to from apple / at&t where everything was sleek and streamlined. Getting the phone activated even after having it preordered took 40 minutes and the phone wasn't instantly usable until about 10am this morning when I got it at 8:30am.

I haven't downloaded any marketplace apps because I'm at work and haven't had a chance to go nuts with it (i actually work for a living, not cube slack) and because it had issues activating since I transfered numbers this morning and the influx of traffic on the google / sprint services might have goofed it up. I'll get it all sorted out though. It instantly integrated with all my social networks and downloaded my mobile me and gmail accounts. Super pleased so far. iPhone has some real competition.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    also, this phone is everything they said it is. it's like having god mode on. it's definitely not the simplicity you get with an iphone. for instance, why am i seeing com.android.htc packages in the installer/uninstaller screen?