AT&T updates iPhone upgrade dates for more customers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Ahead of Apple's anticipated next-generation iPhone announcement, AT&T again began moving some customers' upgrade eligibility dates forward to allow them to buy Apple's latest handset.

A number of users have reported that their eligibility for an iPhone upgrade has been updated, allowing them to buy Apple's next-generation iPhone as soon as it goes on sale, fully subsidized with a 2-year contract agreement. Apple is widely expected to announce its latest handset today, during a keynote from company co-founder Steve Jobs.

Customers can see their upgrade eligibility by logging into their account on the AT&T website and selecting "Check Upgrade Options." Upgrade status can also be checked by dialing *639# from the iPhone.

"As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee," AT&T's message to eligible iPhone owners reads.

Though U.S. iPhone customers must sign a two-year contract with AT&T in order to receive the iPhone at a subsidized price, the wireless carrier frequently offers faster upgrades for its highest paying customers. Those with more services and a higher monthly bill typically are not required to wait the full two years before they become eligible.

Screen shot via TUAW

AT&T previously revealed that generally speaking, customers who spend more than $99-a-month per line are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

The latest round of upgrades follow previous updates by AT&T in May, when some users saw their upgrade eligibility date moved up by months, to June 21, 2010.

Moving up customers' upgrade dates is the same approach AT&T has taken in the past. Last year, the wireless carrier offered early iPhone 3G adopters the opportunity to purchase an iPhone 3GS as the same $199 and $299 price points as new customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Yup, mine got moved from 11/20/2010 to now with an $18 activation fee. AT&T is probably just trying to hook customers in with another two years and $300+ ETF to stop an exodus of people if Verizon gets the iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I got my 3GS in sept and I can upgrade. 64gb here I come!
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Mine as well, checked upgrade options back in early spring and they hadn't moved mine ahead, I was looking at August 2010, not that long of a wait. Checked again yesterday and I mine was moved forward. Guess I know where I will be the day the phone comes out.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Yup, mine got moved from 11/20/2010 to now with an $18 activation fee. AT&T is probably just trying to hook customers in with another two years and $300+ ETF to stop an exodus of people if Verizon gets the iPhone.

I wish it would happen. We'll find out in a few hours.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Don't forget the new, higher data pricing.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    AT&T limited bandwidth business plan:

If you can't keep up paying more and more and getting less and less in return, then out the door you go.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    trouble with upgrading is more than likely you will lose your unlimited (5 GB) data plan for $30....
  • Reply 8 of 52
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

trouble with upgrading is more than likely you will lose your unlimited (5 GB) data plan for $30....

No, this is FUD. AT&T has said numerous times that when you do an equipment upgrade, you can carryover your $30 unlimited plan. But if you later try to switch to the DataPlus or DataPro plan, you're screwed and won't be able to go back.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    neilmneilm Posts: 988member
    Quote:

AT&T is probably just trying to hook customers in with another two years?to stop an exodus of people if Verizon gets the iPhone.

Not going to happen, at least not right now, or indeed in 2010. Maybe in 2011 depending on how soon and how much LTE gets rolled out by Vz.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I had asked this in another site but I guess I will ask here too.

I have about 15 months left on my plan but I am elligable for the $18 upgrade. Now, If I do it, will I have 24 months or 39?

Thanks
  • Reply 11 of 52
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Don't forget the new, higher data pricing.

That doesn't apply to everyone. For me, it would be lower. I don't even crack a gig a month , so it would be less. However I am not sure if I will change my plan or not.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

I had asked this in another site but I guess I will ask here too.

I have about 15 months left on my plan but I am elligable for the $18 upgrade. Now, If I do it, will I have 24 months or 39?

Thanks

It would be a new 2 year contract. They don't rollover your existing contract.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    My 2 year contract ended in April.

I am so looking forward to the new phone and a cheaper monthly bill from AT&T.

It would be nice to have the iPhone on Verizon. Not because I am leaving AT&T , but so all you people that do nothing but complain about a company that you signed a contract with that didn't force you to use there service can Leave.

I mean Damn, nobody forced you to sign a contract with AT&T, and nobody forced you to stay with them. Dont like them its simple , Leave them
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

I mean Damn, nobody forced you to sign a contract with AT&T, and nobody forced you to stay with them. Dont like them its simple , Leave them

Sure, you want to pay my ETF?
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

My 2 year contract ended in April.

I am so looking forward to the new phone and a cheaper monthly bill from AT&T.

It would be nice to have the iPhone on Verizon. Not because I am leaving AT&T , but so all you people that do nothing but complain about a company that you signed a contract with that didn't force you to use there service that Leave.

I'd like to hear more from the illiterate guy!
  • Reply 16 of 52
    I'm not eligible for a free upgrade till February, but the text I got back also said I could get it at a discount price if I wanted to upgrade but I would have to go in to ATT to find out how much that would be. Anyone have any ideas what the cost will be for that?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Just for clarification. When you sign up for a new 2 year contract, does that extend your current contract by two years from its current expiration date or does it start a new contract from the date of the upgrade?

Sean
  • Reply 18 of 52
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Sure, you want to pay my ETF?

The ETF wasn't to bad before they raised it recently.

When I looked at getting a cell phone many years ago I looked over all the maps.

Cingular, Nextel, Verizon Etc...

Signed up with Verizon and dealt with all the dropped calls since i signed the contract and knew there service isn't that great where I live. Not sure if its better now.

Before I signed up with Cingular I was able to determine by there map that the areas I needed service I would have that service.

I understand that some people signed up with AT&T simply for the iPhone.

But complaining on a forum that isn't reviewed by AT&T or Apple isn't going to get much done.

Complaining on there forum might not help either I don't know as I have no complaints.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I'm ready to upgrade, now when's it going to release in Australia my 3G is a bit long in the tooth.

My phone company called the other day asking about upgrading I told them as soon as the next iPhone comes out.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    "Early Upgrade Price".... damn... I'm gonna have to wait...