Stream of Apple's WWDC iPhone 4 keynote now available

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has posted a live stream of Monday's Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 keynote, during which Chief Executive Steve Jobs introduced iPhone 4 to the world.

The video has been posted on Apple's site in QuickTime and MPEG-4, and the keynote -- which runs nearly two hours -- can be viewed in its entirety.

Apple used the event to formally unveil iPhone 4, its next-generation handset with a high resolution Retina Display, a high-definition 720p rear video camera with LED flash, and a forward-facing camera for video chat. The newly redesigned device has a larger battery, custom A4 processor, and is only 9.3mm thick and 24 percent thinner than the iPhone 3GS.

Jobs' "one more thing" at the end of his presentation was the introduction of FaceTime, a video chat service for users of the iPhone 4 over Wi-Fi. Apple will make FaceTime an open standard for adoption in other products and devices.

Monday's keynote was not without its share of issues, namely networking issues caused by an abundance of Wi-Fi hotspots inside the Moscone Center in San Francisco, Calif. But technical difficulties couldn't ruin the show, which still managed to impress many in the audience.

View the entire WWDC 2010 Keynote Address at Apple's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Why isn't it in HTML 5?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Why isn't it in HTML 5?

Because Apple probably thinks it's easier to just post it to its iTunes section instead?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    macdevilmacdevil Posts: 52member
    Ha they edited out the part where AT&T network failed while Jobs was trying to load the NY Times! They left the part where the wifi didn't work in, but they took out the part that made AT&T look bad. Remarkable loyalty on Apple's part. I just wish AT&T was more deserving of it...
  • Reply 4 of 32
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Why isn't it in HTML 5?

It may be available technically speaking, but it will be days before it streams.

Unless they fixed this from the last keynote, we're talking about 5 days before it plays and while I like Ives, why does he have to say magical and change thecfan way we do things about every product? It's a phone with video talking that will probably won't work, thus the "b" plan phone (stuttering), I mean if we talk about dropped calls, and safety while driving? Oh I'll get one but will wait until consumers bring up lawsuits about cost and streaming or will it be free due to wifi? It'll be years before you can use non wireless. AT&T just doesnt have the bandwidth.

End if rant.

I will probably get one and wonder if non iPhones can see you? That would have been great marketing.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Why isn't it in HTML 5?

Apple has a Keynote Podcast and a web based video player is not compatible with Podcasts. You need to be able to download it.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Is it me, or did it seem awkward when Jobs asked everyone to turn off wifi and the room started laughing? He wasn't making a joke, he was making a serious request.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Ha they edited out the part where AT&T network failed while Jobs was trying to load the NY Times! They left the part where the wifi didn't work in, but they took out the part that made AT&T look bad. Remarkable loyalty on Apple's part. I just wish AT&T was more deserving of it...

There's no part that made AT&T look bad. They weren't using 3G. They were on Wi-Fi. The trouble was there was 570 Wi-Fi networks in the room and it was causing slowdown.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

There's no part that made AT&T look bad. They weren't using 3G. They were on Wi-Fi. The trouble was there was 570 Wi-Fi networks in the room and it was causing slowdown.

I thought they decided to use wifi then couldn't get that to work, only after seeing they had no service available with at&t. Isn't that when someone yelled out "Verizon!"?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I will probably get one and wonder if non iPhones can see you? That would have been great marketing.

FaceTime only works over Wi-Fi from one iPhone 4 to another.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Does anyone know if you can pull the miniSIM out of the new iPhone 4 and plug it into an iPad 3G (and, of course, use your iPhone service on the iPad).
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I thought they decided to use wifi then couldn't get that to work, only after seeing they had no service available with at&t. Isn't that when someone yelled out "Verizon!"?

No. After the person shouted out "Verizon," Steve Jobs said they're using wi-fi so that doesn't make a difference. When you think about it why would Steve Jobs use 3G (an inherently much slower connection than Wi-Fi) to show off the speed of the iPhone 4? Like all previous iPhone demos this one was done over WI-Fi.

Obviously for future shows, a better Wi-Fi solution is going to have to found either by Apple or the hosting convention center.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

Why isn't it in HTML 5?

It plays great on my iPad, so I'm fine with it.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I like Ives, why does he have to say magical and change the way we do things about every product?

JI is not a very good speaker. He is uncomfortable and doesn't have the words. But he obviously thinks deeply about what he does. His pondering punctuated by pauses and gazing into space, and his (repeated) use of key phrases that summarize his products is his way of doing it, uncomfortable and awkward as it is to watch on video. I am sure an hour with him would be very different. I am sure SJ and crew have been pushing and elbowing him in front of the camera.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The heckler was the only one who implied they were on AT&T's network and Jobs corrected him saying they were on wifi. Was there something I missed that indicated otherwise?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

It may be available technically speaking, but it will be days before it streams.

Unless they fixed this from the last keynote, we're talking about 5 days before it plays and while I like Ives, why does he have to say magical and change thecfan way we do things about every product? It's a phone with video talking that will probably won't work, thus the "b" plan phone (stuttering), I mean if we talk about dropped calls, and safety while driving? Oh I'll get one but will wait until consumers bring up lawsuits about cost and streaming or will it be free due to wifi? It'll be years before you can use non wireless. AT&T just doesnt have the bandwidth.

End if rant.

Hey, get off your stupid crepe-hanging compulsion. iPhone 4 will sell like FRESH hotcakes and to new audiences like the hearing impaired with its Face Time feature. Quit criticizing Ive. He's doing a great job with his designs. iPhone 4 makes everything else look like plastic junk. What important things have you accomplished, you anonymous creep?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Also available as a download in iTunes podcast. Size = 1.27 GB
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I am very late to join the iPhone party but I think this keynote and iPhone 4G presentation made me feel that now is the right time to jump on board. I expect others will feel the same. If even half the features work reasonably well I will be happy! There is an insane amount of great technology in that little box. I prefer the look of it to the previous incarnations too.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:

The video I watched showed the WiFi problem. It wasn't an AT&T issue. Get your facts straight.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

No. After the person shouted out "Verizon," Steve Jobs said they're using wi-fi so that doesn't make a difference. When you think about it why would Steve Jobs use 3G (an inherently much slower connection than Wi-Fi) to show off the speed of the iPhone 4? Like all previous iPhone demos this one was done over WI-Fi.

Obviously for future shows, a better Wi-Fi solution is going to have to found either by Apple or the hosting convention center.

I think when Apple has other event, they should at least have there own private Wi-Fi. That way they won't be slowed down by everyone being on the same network.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

There's no need go make stuff up MacDevil.