Going Solo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

Newbie to the Board.

Anyone got any tips about entering the world of Mac Support?, I've got amply of experience in creative and audio applications, basic troubleshooting, data recovery and simple repair jobs.

I was thinking about investing in a new system (MacBook Pro) and completing an Apple Cert Course such as 10.6 Support Essentials or perhaps Server Support Essentials?

The outlook is to work for either a small business (creatives) or go into freelancing.

looking forward to the feedback on this one..

ta

P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Well Mac's don't need a whole heck of a lot of support, then it's usually done by one or two smarter creative types already working in the business as they know best what is needed for the company. Then there is the Apple forums where people answer others questions and support from Apple that way.

If a bit more support than that is needed, a outside local company usually comes in that can also do PC's as there is a lot more PC's out there thus established tech support.

If it's a hardware issue then that company or the inside people usually bring it to Apple or a Apple Authorized Repair which also doe support, but perhaps not local.

In my experience there isn't a whole lot of room to freelance support, if your selling the hardware support goes with it and to do that you have to be a Authorized Apple Reseller or Apple. That's where the bulk of the volume is.

It couldn't hurt getting a job as a creative in your field and bringing the benefit of Apple support training to the business.

If your going to set up your own shop, then support PC's, Mac's and Linux, networking, repair etc. The whole computer field as to maximize your income sources. You'll get more calls from PC's and network issues obviously and you'll have to muscle your way in with people already set up and have 20 or so years as a Microsoft Guru and mapped off all the local businesses already.

Apple customers tend to go to Apple for support, unless it's too far then they hit a local repair.

Support is not a easy field to work in, people are paranoid about exposing what they have been viewing on line, they don't understand computers, they are in fear of hackers, techno babble confuses them, changing anything upsets them, they don't pay for their anti-virus much less let it run or update their systems, they do stupid things and then blame you for not fixing their computer right the first time etc. etc.

A lot of the stress of support isn't worth the mere pittance they want to pay you for, they think they should get it for free.

If your someone that loves helping people, is a excellent people person/communicator and can handle being overwhelmed with chaos, then tech support is for you.

If your a creative type, that has some technical ability due to the influence in the creative field, then stick to your creative side.

One really needs to own a lot of Apple hardware to do support, as there are things one learns only by having access to the hardware. There are a lot of retired geeks with large bank accounts and nothing to do with their time but to buy a lot of Apple hardware and run a support business in the red for years. Then there are the rich kids that can't work for anyone, so they start their own businesses and can outbid anyone in town. How can you with your one MacBook Pro compete with that?

So perhaps training, but then going to work for Apple as a support person this way you get to use the hardware and get the volume?

You can give the Apple Support forums a try as a support person for awhile to get a feel for it, I was a level 4 for many years and worked freelance fixing PC's and Mac's, and finally just gave it up. Drove me a bit nuts.

So if your going to do support, make sure your going to get rich doing it, before burnout sets in.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    penfoldpenfold Posts: 3member
    wow, great reply, ta for that!

For those who have had the nightmare experience of having to book/visit an Apple Store to seek help will appreciate an alternative to seeking support for their systems, I don't know anyone who has found the Apple Store/Telephone assistance to be straight forward.

Potential clients may include: Artists, Designers, Writers, Photographers, Journalists, Musicians, Film Editors, Picture Libraries, Small Networks, Schools, Colleges and Home Users.

You'd be surprised just how many creatives that use the software on Mac's no little about the architecture and build of OSX.

I could see my graphic design skillset as a helpful bonus to gaining work and relating to certain industry sectors.

Just bouncing ideas at Mo
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penfold View Post

For those who have had the nightmare experience of having to book/visit an Apple Store to seek help will appreciate an alternative to seeking support for their systems, I don't know anyone who has found the Apple Store/Telephone assistance to be straight forward.

hmm... I guess you don't know too many Apple users then.

The few times I've had to use it, it's been relatively painless. The hardest part is the 30+ minute drive to the nearest AppleStore if the machine needs to be brought in. I certainly wouldn't go to a 3rd party or freelance support source as long as the Apple branded source is available.

Not a matter of doubting your prowess, just that most people will go to the source if they have that option. (especially if it's under warranty/AppleCare)

Perhaps the "nightmare experiences" are from folks whose warranties have expired but still expected free troubleshooting help? ...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    penfoldpenfold Posts: 3member
    Yeah the Apple Store is fine for warranty owners but there is also a huge market of buyers getting gear from ebay and refurbished suppliers who need that 3rd party/freelance support because its usually cheaper and more convenient.

'Love dat Apple Store Bubble'