White macbook RAM upgrade problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've got a 13" intel macbook that had 1gb of ram - I want to say it is a circa 2007 model. The max it can hold is 2gb of ram. 2 days ago, I bought a pair of 1gb 667 mHz ddr2 sticks to upgrade the memory. Things went fine for about 36 hours until last night I started getting screen glitches and speakers buzzing, lock ups, all the issues that you see in other threads. Switching back to the stock ram works fine, but I really want to get to 2gb. The ram I got was PNY ram from Best Buy and has the mac compatible logo on the packaging, but clearly it is not going to work - what brand do I need?

Some sites I read that macbooks are terribly picky, then the next site I read they say they are never picky. What to do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Best Buy doesn't strike me as a quality source of RAM, more like cheap PC crap.

Top tier RAM is usually good all the time, put it in once and it's done. The rest of the lower quality RAM gets shipped out to discounters/resellers and it often doesn't work the first time so a process of trial and error occurs with the customer going back yet again until they get a working set. A real pain in the arse doing it via mail order and with todays high gas prices, not a good choice either to shop bargain basement.

I use Crucial for my RAM source, direct from the manufacturer Micron and top tier RAM, throughly tested for a top of a line Mac, not one failure yet in several years. A bit more, but worth not having the trouble.

http://www.crucial.com/

You can download MacTracker and verify your machine by the codes then use Crucial's web site process to make sure you get the correct type of RAM for your machine. Different Mac's take different RAM types, so no one size fits all, like you were led to believe by Best Buy packaging.

The RAM modules can't come into contact with static electricity, so ground yourself by touching metal before touching and don't touch the contacts or the electronics, your body oils will prematurely corrode them.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jcbloughjcblough Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Best Buy doesn't strike me as a quality source of RAM, more like cheap PC crap.

Top tier RAM is usually good all the time, put it in once and it's done. The rest of the lower quality RAM gets shipped out to discounters/resellers and it often doesn't work the first time so a process of trial and error occurs with the customer going back yet again until they get a working set. A real pain in the arse doing it via mail order and with todays high gas prices, not a good choice either to shop bargain basement.

I use Crucial for my RAM source, direct from the manufacturer Micron and top tier RAM, throughly tested for a top of a line Mac, not one failure yet in several years. A bit more, but worth not having the trouble.

http://www.crucial.com/

You can download MacTracker and verify your machine by the codes then use Crucial's web site process to make sure you get the correct type of RAM for your machine. Different Mac's take different RAM types, so no one size fits all, like you were led to believe by Best Buy packaging.

The RAM modules can't come into contact with static electricity, so ground yourself by touching metal before touching and don't touch the contacts or the electronics, your body oils will prematurely corrode them.

I'll give that a go. I did all the research to make sure I got the right specs on the ram, but no dice which is frustrating. The specs on the ram, when the mac was working, looked identical in the system profiler other than the amount.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcblough View Post

I'll give that a go. I did all the research to make sure I got the right specs on the ram, but no dice which is frustrating. The specs on the ram, when the mac was working, looked identical in the system profiler other than the amount.

Then you got a bad batch of RAM, it's not the first time this has occurred, take it back to Best Buy and get your money back. (or exchange it)

Call them first to check their return policy on the RAM before wasting your gas.

If not, then I guess you got screwed. Live and learn. Perhaps you could eBay it... won't do good for your reputation though.

(you did "seat" the new RAM down firmly in the slots I assume?)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jcbloughjcblough Posts: 33member
    Yeah it was seated fine. It worked for about 24 hrs them tanked out. Reseating it did not fix it. Only swapping back to the old did. Which I find odd, but others have reported the same on other MacBook upgrades.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Macs are traditionally more picky about memory than PCs are. I've seen Macs reject memory as faulty that seemed to work fine in a PC. Apple typically uses Samsung or Hynix memory in their machines, and I've also always had good luck with Crucial or Corsair. Any of those brands should be trustworthy.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Best Buy took back the PNY memory I had no problem. I noticed they had some Kingston in stock so I tried it out. So far, so good. I figured since they took back the other w/o worry it would be no harm in trying. I taxed it pretty good last night and no glitches.