So where does Apple go now?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This may have already been discussed and I'm just not using the right keywords in the search, but I was looking into purchasing iPhones and iPads for my family. The biggest selling point was the unlimited data.

Now, with the change in AT&T's data rate, the devices have now become pointless to myself and my family.After going to AT&T's website and using their calculator for data, figuring in how frequently we use our current devices, and what we use them for it was estimated that I'd be spending over $400.00 just on data alone, without the phone service included (the phone services would probably drive the price up to well over $500.00 or more). AT&T looks to be attempting to cover every possible contingency, even if you're not the one sending the picture, if you just receive it they count that against your data. And heaven help you if you're an APP junkie.

I'm not irritated with Apple, they really had no control over AT&T doing this, but without the unlimited data, I won't be purchasing anything. Hopefully a lot of new users don't jump on the iPad and new iPhones, because I think they're going to be in for a really unpleasant surprise when they start getting their bills. And foresee this as hurting sales of their mobile products.

I can say this much, should other service carriers go the same route as AT&T, I'm going back to nothing more than a basic phone with texting, I lived without the nicety for this long, I can live without it at all. As it is, both AT&T as well as Apple have lost business on this, both for my family's mobile needs and home services.

So the question is, where does Apple go from here? Much less, where do the other carriers (Verizon for example) go from here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

AT&T looks to be attempting to cover every possible contingency, even if you're not the one sending the picture, if you just receive it they count that against your data.

The pay as you go phone that I have (uses AT&T networks) the incoming calls are also charged now, costing me plenty now when before I was skating by on only about $20 a month.

I think AT&T made the decision (or had no choice) to improve their network so they are milking what they have for all it's worth.