Why ifixyouri drop test is completely fake.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's video shows that the iPhone 4 display (under the glass) is actually laminated to the glass. Yet, ifixyouri photo on their page show the replacement parts as being separate - NOT LAMINATED. Meaning, they cannot be official Apple parts. They simply cannot be official replacement parts. Period. So, the drop test of the strength of the glass is BS. ifixyouri claims to have used Apple's official, new, strengthened glass for the test.

http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?p=51

Scroll down. You'll see the front replacements, both white and black, without the display attached. Behind that you'll see a display replacement, without the glass attached.

The original iPhone had the two laminated. If you scratched or shattered the glass front, you had to pay for a new display as well, even if that worked. Then, for iPhone 3G and 3GS Apple separated the two pieces, making it easier and cheaper to replace shattered glass. Now, the iPhone 4 is laminated again - but the glass is highly "durable".

Further, in ifixyouri report, they state the frame is aluminum. Don't they have specs for the parts they receive? Apple specifically states the frame is stainless steel.

They sell "protection plans". Insurance. If Apple is making the glass more durable, less people will feel the need to buy insurance.

Here are the terms for screen protection on phones BEFORE the iPhone 4 ----

Special Programs & Benefits

In addition to the terms and conditions stated herein, if ?Screen Only Protection? is purchased, the Program provides you with screen replacement during the term of the PROTECTION PLAN. In order to qualify for this special benefit, your screen must be covered with our approved protection shield at the time any cracking or disfiguring occurred and approved case. Failure to properly apply and utilize the screen protector may cause your claim to be denied. At the time of purchase, we require a test to be performed either with an over air verification software to ensure that the screen is properly functioning or via visible inspection at our authorized service facility. In our sole discretion we have the right to approve or deny access to this program based upon our inspection. Screen protection is limited to the actual replacement of the screen. It does not cover the repair or replacement of internal working parts as this is your responsibility. Replacement of screens must be performed through one our authorized service center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Here's an idea...DON'T DROP YOUR PHONE!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

Here's an idea...DON'T DROP YOUR PHONE!

+1

Somehow, despite destroying every phone I ever had before the iPhone, I manage to not harm my iPhones at all. All have had some sort of case, but with that small amount of protection the iPhone holds up to a lot of serious abuse. I've never even scratched the screen on any iPhone, let alone shatter it.