Adobe releases Flash Player 10.1 for Mac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 266
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

You and me are not talking about the same thing. Let me recap. Very simple. Understand, please.

iPhone runs HTML5 much slower than Nexus One runs flash:

http://recombu.com/news/flash-player...ne_M11610.html

"Chaize also shows HTML5 running on an iPhone 3GS and it's not pretty."

Really? You're arguing for Flash and you use a test comparing Flash to Canvas to say that all HTML5 is bad? You are absurdly dense or you are getting paid by Adobe to spread FUD. Again, he's showing HTML5's Canvas element, not HTML5. HTML5 ≠ Canvas

I posted a video of the EXACT video content from the exact same site for arguably the most used aspect of Flash on the internet. The numbers don't lie.
    You can't refute that, but go ahead and try; earn your shill money for the day.
  • Reply 42 of 266
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Well, maybe if hardware acceleration was enabled in the 10.1 Mac version under discussion here, it might make some difference, HOWEVER, IT ISN'T.

For hardware acceleration on Macs with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 you need this:-

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

If you want to try it read the release notes first:-

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...leasenotes.pdf

btw Flash games are sh*t, I'm going back to Steam.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Great work, Adobe! I just installed 10.1 on my Windows 7 machine and even all my favorite flash games that are free run perfectly! I'll be getting a Nexus One real soon to replace my iPhone 3GS that cannot run simple things as Flash.

• Reply 43 of 266
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

One would think so, yes. Unfortunately, the Adobe that all feared when they they bought out (crushed) Macromedia has come alive. It's the Microsoft of the early 90's, without the monopoly. An aging giant Adobe is, and it had better get its shit together before long or it will fade into history.

And also crushed one of the best graphics programs at the time - Freehand

Skip
  • Reply 44 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well, maybe if hardware acceleration was enabled in the 10.1 Mac version under discussion here, it might make some difference, HOWEVER, IT ISN'T.

For hardware acceleration on Macs with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 you need this:-

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

If you want to try it read the release notes first:-

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...leasenotes.pdf

btw Flash games are sh*t, I'm going back to Steam.

Gala is certainly an improvement over the 10.1 release, but it still pales in comparison to HTML5. Flash 10.1 uses 6x the processing and Flash 10.1b2 uses 3x the processing as HTML5 in my video tests.

As for games, I have idea why anyone would use Flash games as an argument as to why Flash is a worth drain your mobile's battery. What is this,1999? Who plays Flash games so much that they just have to have it on their phone and can't be bothered with a native app?

I suppose as modern standards take hold the arguments are going to get even more outrageous.
  • Reply 45 of 266
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Who plays Flash games so much that they just have to have it on their phone and can't be bothered with a native app?

How about the millions of Farmville players? You know that Flash-based game whose move to having a native iPhone app was big enough for Apple to have the game company's CEO come during the WWDC keynote speech? And that's just one of many Flash-based games with a huge user base and those DON'T have an iPhone app at this point.

Your argument seems to come down to: Who needs Flash games on their phone? Which is really close to saying: Who needs games on their phone? And then slides a little further to arguments like: Who needs to browse the web on their phone? If you going to talk about needs, the only thing a phone NEEDS to do is work as a phone.
  • Reply 46 of 266
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:

1) Flash isn't more efficient that native webcode. Just check out streaming video from YouTube. it's also not more efficient than a native game.

Here, I even made one just to show you how incredibly wrong you are...

HTML5 0:04 - 0:11 low 16.0% high 24.3% for CPU.

Flash 0:19-0:27 Low 116.4% high 129.3% CPU.

This is better?! Gads what was it before Adobe fixed it?!?
  • Reply 47 of 266
    I happen to have an (older) Flash Benchmark here (from Snails Animation)

can someone find out what results you get with before and after you upgrade to 10.1, or if this upgrade helps at all for non-video flash?

here's the Flash Benchmark
  • Reply 48 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

How about the millions of Farmville players? You know that Flash-based game whose move to having a native iPhone app was big enough for Apple to have the game company's CEO come during the WWDC keynote speech? And that's just one of many Flash-based games with a huge user base and those DON'T have an iPhone app at this point.

Your argument seems to come down to: Who needs Flash games on their phone? Which is really close to saying: Who needs games on their phone? And then slides a little further to arguments like: Who needs to browse the web on their phone? If you going to talk about needs, the only thing a phone NEEDS to do is work as a phone.

You're right, I did forget about Farmville, the new poster child for Flash games. What other Flash games are played by millions at a time? Every Flash game demo I've seen running on the Nexus One seems to have come straight from 1999, hence my comment, but you're right, Farmville is popular.

Out of curiosity, are there any videos showcasing how effective Farmville is on the Nexus One?
  • Reply 49 of 266
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

All you show with that video is you are either blind, an idiot, or a blind idiot.

The community here is so sweet.
  • Reply 50 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

All you show with that video is you are either blind, an idiot, or a blind idiot.

HTML5 0:04 - 0:11 low 16.0% high 24.3% for CPU.

Flash 0:19-0:27 Low 116.4% high 129.3% CPU.

Last time I checked 24.3% is better than 116.4% CPU usage

Let's break this down. I state that HTML5 video uses LESS resources than Flash video on the same 1080p video on YouTube.

You agree with my assessment, yet I'm a Blind and/or Idiot for making the statement to which you agree. Care to explain that?
  • Reply 51 of 266
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    14009 Great

lite 60.19 fps

medium 59.39 fps

failed heavy test @ 20.51 fps

Shockwave Flash

Shockwave Flash 10.1 d81 ? from file ?Flash Player.plugin?.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by devilhunter View Post

can someone find out what results you get with before and after you upgrade to 10.1, or if this upgrade helps at all for non-video flash?

• Reply 52 of 266
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Whilst it is true that hardware acceleration APIs only became available recently on OS X, it is a massive red-herring perpetuated by Adobe that hardware acceleration is required for decent performance.

The fact is that Adobe are shit at optimising code on OS X, probably because they use their own compatibility layer so that they can write code once and deploy on multiple platforms. Of course, the whole thing is architected to work best on Windows, and when used on OS X performance sucks.

There is simply no way that Flash should use so much CPU time, even without hardware accelerated video decode. See this post from a different thread.

I read that post. Now while I know many legacy flash sites aren't taking advantage of it, flash has now had the ability to 'deep link' for some time now, it works very well, and if developers are good enough, resizing text is available. Particularly now with the new version of flash. Those are no longer disadvantages of flash.

flash has indeed sucked on macs for a long time, and adobe has been pretty lazy. But how many times does it need to be posted, it just boring. But it seems now, there's been a fire lit under their asses, and I see that as a good thing. Hopefully the fire stays lit. CS5 runs way better than the goopy crap CS4 (and previous) was.

In my tests, flash now isn't the cpu hog it once was, and I see it being very similar to html5 animations. This isn't a slam on html5, or any other similar technology.

But somehow I think, based on what I know of the platform and language changes, that things will get interesting over the next 2 years. From my perspective, knowing AS3, javascript (practically identical now... interestingly enough and something most posters here miss...) and related jQuery with of course CSS and the upcoming html5 and extensions, you are in a good spot.
  • Reply 53 of 266
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    ClicktoFlash keeps my MacPro from running hot and my battery from running out.
  • Reply 54 of 266
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I don't get how the Windows version is less than 2 megs and the OS X version is over 7.
  • Reply 55 of 266
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Really, I couldn't care less. Typically I block Flash, and will continue to do until I feel or think there's a compelling reason not to do so.
  • Reply 56 of 266
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Among the new features of Flash 10.1 is support for browser privacy features, which prevent Flash local data and browsing activity from persisting locally if the user has turned on the private browsing feature.

However, Adobe says this feature is not supported for Opera or Safari, meaning that Flash content won't respect users' private browsing preferences.

For those who don't know, you can set what Flash stores on your Opera and Safari browsers here.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...s_manager.html

It's a web based interface and I would at least turn off the camera and microphone, I wonder how many pr0n sites have hacked Flash to watch their users?... :O

Physical blocking of the input devices is the only sure method.
  • Reply 57 of 266
    Does Rosetta Stone work with it? No? It'd better do. Enough of tricks with reverting to old Flash Player on Mac OS X just for Rosetta Stone - the most popular online way to learn languages.
  • Reply 58 of 266
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:

If you watch YouTube often you can now run their HTML5 version completely and still get fullscreen with a Safari 5 extension.
    Save your CPU cycles for something useful and help prevent Flash crashes.

The problem is there are alot more websites then just YouTube. So many local websites use Flash and its next to impossible to get away from it. When I say local websites I am talking about local news and weather that give me information that national sites don't. Also if you stream alot of video like I do you just simply can't avoid the need for Flash at this point.

So many people here keep talking about Youtube as its the fix all for everything. I really isn't even close. HTML5 isn't coming along as fast as people would suggest, and Flash simply isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Reply 59 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by devilhunter View Post

I happen to have an (older) Flash Benchmark here (from Snails Animation)

here's the Flash Benchmark

Welcome to the forum. Interesting test.

Mid-2010 13" MBP 2/4GHz 4GB RAM

Shockwave Flash v10.0 r45

.Score: 10389

. Lite: 49.54 fps

Medium: 35.71 fps

.Heavy: 18.64 fps

.Ultra: —

Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53

.Score: 14224 . . . (37% improvement)

. Lite: 60.18 fps . (21% improvement)

Medium: 60.35 fps . (69% improvement)

.Heavy: 21.71 fps . (16% improvement)

Shockwave Flash 10.1 d81 ("Gala" Preview 2 w/ HW Acceleration†)

.Score: 14121

. Lite: 60.15 fps

Medium: 60.10 fps

.Heavy: 20.96 fps

Note that HW Acceleration is for H.264 decoding
  • Reply 60 of 266
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Anyone know where you can see the version number of installed flash player? I cant seem to see it through Firefox or via System Profile.