iPad battery problem?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hey guys I just got my iPad yesterday and loving it. I do have a quick question yesterday I charged my iPad all of last night and finally took it off the charger this morning. I used it all day today,when I went to plug it into the wall charger it started to charge. When it was around 85 percent the little charging "lighting" bolt turned to the fully charge "plug" even though it was still at 85 percent. The percentage still counted up like it was charging. Is this a firmware problem or what? I've searched the web and found a few other people had this problem. I hope someone can shine some light on this. Thank you so much.

Edit: when I unplug the iPad and plug it back in it will give me the lighting bolt charging indicator but will switch to the plug a few minutes later.

Here's the site I found the other person that had the same problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=903623

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Sure it will be addressed in a update sometime, notify Apple of your problem.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Do you also have this problem?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Surfer13134 View Post

Hey guys I just got my iPad yesterday and loving it. I do have a quick question yesterday I charged my iPad all of last night and finally took it off the charger this morning. I used it all day today,when I went to plug it into the wall charger it started to charge. When it was around 85 percent the little charging "lighting" bolt turned to the fully charge "plug" even though it was still at 85 percent. The percentage still counted up like it was charging. Is this a firmware problem or what? I've searched the web and found a few other people had this problem. I hope someone can shine some light on this. Thank you so much.

Edit: when I unplug the iPad and plug it back in it will give me the lighting bolt charging indicator but will switch to the plug a few minutes later.

Here's the site I found the other person that had the same problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=903623

I think the problem is with your battery. I would suggest you to visit the nearest Apple store. They might give you the new battery or if the problem is huge then they will change the whole device for you.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Do you have the same problem when charging it from the USB on your computer?

(Of course SpitOn does not have that problem. He has other problems, but not that one.)
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'm finding that 4 hours is about the right time to fully charge it. I charge the iPad once the battery indicator is in the low 20s%.

Since the original post in this thread was on 6/12 one hopes that the original problem has been resolved.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I routinely get 10 hours of battery on my 3G, and it does not seem to matter what I do.I would keep an eye on him, if I were you. Depletion of the battery until the iPad stops, the charge to 100% and see what you get thereafter.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Isn't the Ipad like the Ipod in that if it's battery dies it's just better to get a whole new one? That's why I stopped buying the ipods and just started buying the shuffles.. It annoyed me so much and I still have all my old ipods laying around. Wonder where I can get rid of them.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I am new here and read this artilce.Thanks to talking us about this artilce.I bought the 16G 3G iPad in Minnesota, kept it untouched until I moved here to Vietnam, where I just opened the box....thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I'm finding that 4 hours is about the right time to fully charge it. I charge the iPad once the battery indicator is in the low 20s%.

Since the original post in this thread was on 6/12 one hopes that the original problem has been resolved.

Yup charging time is about as long as charging a laptop. But boy does the iPad battery seem to go for like 2 days of use (eg several hours use each day). Pretty impressive. If anyone is having a problem with their battery they should get their iPad checked out.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is totally unreasonable. Change the battery when they go dead, get Apple to do it or a third party.

As to all those iPod you have laying around not working you can give them to me. At least you will avoid the waste of them sitting in a drawer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amandapanda801 View Post

Isn't the Ipad like the Ipod in that if it's battery dies it's just better to get a whole new one? That's why I stopped buying the ipods and just started buying the shuffles.. It annoyed me so much and I still have all my old ipods laying around. Wonder where I can get rid of them.

You do realize you have an expensive habit here?

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 15
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is totally unreasonable. Change the battery when they go dead, get Apple to do it or a third party.

As to all those iPod you have laying around not working you can give them to me. At least you will avoid the waste of them sitting in a drawer.

You do realize you have an expensive habit here?

Dave

There are also some online repair sites where you could sell it to them/ recycle at least.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amandapanda801 View Post

Are the newer iPods sealed so you can't replace it with a third party battery? When my 2G iPod's battery pretty much died after about 18 months I replaced it with a high capacity battery from Newer Technology. While not the easiest thing to do, it wasn't too much harder than changing the hard drive in my Power Book. BTW, I'm still using the iPod as my walkaround iPod.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    i AM new here and read this artilce and agree with this artilce Ok, so I bought a 16G 3G iPad, and I just took it out of the box and turned it on. But now there is nothing except for an iTunes icon in the center of the screen and the image of a USB cord pointing towards it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Because you have to plug it into a computer with iTunes installed to initialize it. If you don't have one, an Apple Store can do it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I also have this problem